So, I found the 710 of my dreams... time for a cross-country trip!

Will

1,500 miles so far. The engine is burning/leaking oil, but the leaky differential seems like it was due to over-filling. There are shakes and rattles that can wait 'till I am home... here are some pictures from the trip so far: (the BBCode on flickr wasn't working today, so I had to go with links instead.)

Visiting tourist traps in Holbrook, on route 66.

IMG_5311

I got to Amarillo last night and picked up an engine and transmission that came out of a 510 SSS Coupe. Not sure how to connect everything though - maybe I can route the power to the front wheels with the front axle from a 4wd Pulsar?

IMG_6502

And this morning a crack was waiting for me. Damn you Texas sunshine!

IMG_6501

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to Amarillo last night and picked up an engine and transmission that came out of a 510 SSS Coupe. Not sure how to connect everything though - maybe I can route the power to the front wheels with the front axle from a 4wd Pulsar?

http://www.flickr.co...use/5781306713/

Nice, 5spd. dogleg!

And this morning a crack was waiting for me. Damn you Texas sunshine!

http://www.flickr.co...use/5781305397/

Is it black?

I just reached 70,000 miles today, somewhere near the Oklahoma/Missouri border.

Now I need to figure out the charging problem that popped up today - I needed to get two jumpstarts, and now the "Charge" idiot light turned on as I was parking my car for the night.

5784631953_8dba2faa21.jpg">

I'm in Springfield tonight, but I'll be in Milwaukee by tomorrow night - I'm picking up my girlfriend at the airport next Sunday, so I need to travel quickly. (...and get that engine out of the passenger compartment so that there is space for said girlfriend!) Too bad, since there is so much to see - the section of Route 66 was great, and there were so many ghost towns by the roadside that looked like they would have been fun to explore.

Are you going to roll thru Missouri? If so, there's a big Nissan/Datsun show in Branson this week. www.bransonzfest.com

I know... if feels like trying to keep a house of cards balanced.

I'll probably stretch some vinyl or fabric over the dash pad that is a close match, and fill the crack with epoxy. The old plastic can't flex or stretch too well, so it is bound to break someday.

Cracks, it's not if, but when they will occur.

Keep the pics coming.

I found it on Craigslist, and then skewed my return trip so that I could pick it up. My motor has been burning some oil, so it will be put to use sooner than later!

Great find on the 510SSS motor, was it just at a junkyard?

Maybe theres hope I'll find a nugget like that.

was it in a car?

I guess your long past OklaCity by now.

Love the pics too! Keep us updated!Be safe!

Yup! It was Chris's engine. I'm pretty sure it's an L16, though maybe it was bored out? Those guys have an ideal garage. Chris wasn't around when I stopped by, but one of his roommates helped me load the engine and transmission into my car. I'm kinda surprised that it stuck around on craigslist for as long as it did.

Will,

Very interesting a SSS 1800 out of a certain Yellow '71 Bluebird Coupe, that motor was a sweet runner it purred like a sewing machine.

Please keep us posted on your continued progress,

I found it on Craigslist, and then skewed my return trip so that I could pick it up. My motor has been burning some oil, so it will be put to use sooner than later!

Just to verify, did Chris tell you that engine needs to be rebuilt before going back into the car? It was badly overheated a few times.

Yes, he told me - I know it will need some work because of the overheating.

Just to verify, did Chris tell you that engine needs to be rebuilt before going back into the car? It was badly overheated a few times.

Good to know. :)

To my knowledge the engine has not been bored, or even opened up. It came out of a low mileage Coupe that was recently imported from Japan, then transplanted into my Coupe, which Chris now owns.

It ran great when I sold it to him. And other than the chokes being a little sticky, the carbs worked well too.

If there is anything he didn't know about it, I'd be glad to help with info. I owned/drove that car/engine daily for over a year, so...

Oh, cool, thanks for offering to help. The engine still looks very clean from the outside, and the air filter is making a nice JDM armrest until I can drop it off in Providence in a few days.

Good to know. :)

To my knowledge the engine has not been bored, or even opened up. It came out of a low mileage Coupe that was recently imported from Japan, then transplanted into my Coupe, which Chris now owns.

It ran great when I sold it to him. And other than the chokes being a little sticky, the carbs worked well too.

If there is anything he didn't know about it, I'd be glad to help with info. I owned/drove that car/engine daily for over a year, so...

2600 miles so far!

Oklahoma:

5790239008_77bebb2090.jpg

Finally in the midwest:

5789684275_88ba8d358f.jpg

I head off to Detroit in a few hours, and then I'll almost be home! I wonder if Canadian customs will give me any guff about having an engine in my passenger compartment.

I've safely arrived in Detroit, but I was still getting the "CHG" light whenever I ran the car with the headlights on, so I gave the electrical system another check to see what was happening.

The old alternator was dead - I'm installing the Saturn alternator that was attached to the 510sss motor right now - let's see if that does the trick.

Jeez, I've driven through 13 states in the past week, and you know which one has the craziest drivers? Ontario.

IMG_6557

(posting the BBC code from flickr doesn't seem to be working for me lately.)

Here is a photo from just after I crossed back into the States - Niagara Falls!

I'm amazed at how this car is dwarfed by the Chevy Cobalt parked next to it.

I drove over 3,300 miles, but the 710 finally made it back to New York State. It will be staying at my folks' place in Syracuse while I borrow their van for two weeks to finish up some construction work, but after that it will finish the last leg of its journey down to Brooklyn.

I replaced the alternator in my friend's driveway in Detroit - the last one was junk, but the Saturn alternator tested okay. The voltage regulator had already been removed and the wires spliced, so I just needed to pick up a new plug for the alternator and wire everything together. I could run the headlights AND the heater!

I think the battery might be dead, so I'll need to test everything with my voltmeter. There are a billion tiny things that need to be fixed, but I think 'ol Violet will clean up real purty.