fuel tank , im a dummy, udate! need opinions

on my 76 620 my fuel line from the tank to the engine is plugged solid, 60 psi or more from the compressor will not even get through it.

so my dumb question, is the line on the bottom of the tank the feed to the fuel pump?

i used to seeing in Tank pumps that exit from the top of the tank.

i guess i will have to bite the bullet and drop the tank.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the replys, i am thinking on just running a new line from the tank to the front, i have been filling the line wiyh carb cleaner and trying compressed air for 2 weeks now, and no progress has been made.

Yeah replace w/ a new rubber line. Napa sells it & it's cheap. I left the stock line in place & zip tied the new one to it.

i cut the rubber fuel line at the gas tank, nothing but a trickle came out, so the clog is either in the outlet tube or the length of rubber hose, air wont go through, but at least i have found the problem,

this truck sat since 1988 as some may recall, it was parked with a full tank, and when i drained it, the gas was old and stinky but looked clean, i added 5 gallons to it but... any way i guess this may mean i need to drop the tank, ugh

air is not going to do it.

use wire, i do all the time. works great.

i had to take the wife 100 miles out of town to get her boobies checked.

tomorrow i will fix this gas tank issue

thanks for the help guys

today, i found the blockage was from the outlet on the tank and to where ever the pickup tube ends, so far i have gotten rusty gunk and lots of black sludge but no gas, and it is over half full, i get the wire to go in about 6 inches, maybe i havnt made it trough all the way yet. I shot some carb cleaner in it, and i will jab it with the wire a few more times, after i have a couple beers.

Here's the outlet line. At the very bottom of the picture on the side of the tank.

tank2.jpg

dont mean to thread jack but where are those rubber lines running up to?? They were never hooked up to anything on my truck. Is it important? lol

thanks, i figure after all the gunk i am finding in the outlet tube i bette just do this job the right way and put all worry behind, i hve spent too much time rebuilding the carb and getting everything else fixed the right way.

I also considered if some one else asked me about the same issue, i would say drop out the tank and clean it.

so thats the deal>

back to boobies

I pulled the tank today, and it is suprisingly clean inside, the pickup tube is plugged up bad with black tar looking stuff,

i am out of ideas on how to clear the tube, so i am thinking on monday i will take it to a shop to hav it it hot tanked and be sure the problem will not haunt me latter.

anyone have ideas before it go spend money to get it fixed?

dont mean to thread jack but where are those rubber lines running up to?? They were never hooked up to anything on my truck. Is it important? lol

They go to the expansion tank mounted on the wheelwell by the fuel filler.Part of an early emission control. I have 3 620s,and this is the only one that still had the tank. The others have a rust hole,with the remains of the little tank.