Oil pan leaks

john510

After getting my new L20b installed and running i had an oil leak which looked like it was coming from the right rear corner of the oil pan.After taking apart everything and lifting the motor twice now and replacing the gasket,this time using the black rtv sealant it still appears to leak in the same spot.Im wondering if i should try a rubber gasket instead of the felpro cork gasket or maybe get another oil pan and try that.It sucks having a brand new motor that leaks.Im also a little concerned that it might be the rear main seal which was done by the machine shop.Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies.I checked all of the above things before i replaced the gasket.After wiping it clean and letting it idle in the driveway i can see oil creeping down the dust shield on the outside starting near the oil pan.I dont see oil inside the dust shield but its hard to see in there.Anybody ever try dropping the crossmember instead of lifting the motor up to replace the gasket ? im getting tired of removing the same shit over and over again.

im getting tired of removing the same shit over and over again.

Tell me about it!!!!!!!!

My 521 has a bad clutch. I said Fuck I put a new clutch in with datto510. a stock Daiken. I said no way this can be bad. but yet it is. I look harder as I hate hitting the pavement. I see oil comming from the block/trans area.

Meaning rear main seal!!!!!!!! Just nature of the beast. I dont want to pull my moto out either. So its either rplace the seal or just put another motor I got build up(sitting for over 15yrs at least) and put that in.

So its a gamble putting another rear main seal and hope the crank dont have a groove in it. or run a new motor that could be quesstionable also.

Trans is out and im about to remove the flywheel,i gotta know whats leaking for sure before i do the oil pan again.Im thinking its rear seal,After 3 new oil pan gaskets it still leaks exactly the same.The machine shop will fix it,i just have to bring them the motor,i think i will take care of the rear main myself.Who can you trust anymore to do things right.Fortunately the motor sounds good and isnt smoking or anything so i guess they got all that done right.

I got the flywheel off and its obviously leaking out of the crank seal.The seal wasnt even sitting squarely in the block and bearing cap.Right when i looked at it something didnt look right,its crooked as hell,so i guess thats a good thing.At least i know what leaked and that my oil pan gasket repairs were probably good.Is there any reason to pull the bearing cap and replace the side seals to ?or just the crank seal.They did use RTV on the sides,i can see it.Thanks guys.