GRIMACE

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no but if you look under severedinthesouthwest forum for 2012 and scroll thru pix u will see 2 pix of it.  well the lateset thing done to grimace was on sunday, me, charlie, ben, gabe(desert datsuns) swapped out head w53 and replaced it with rebuilt u67 open chambered head and got everthing buttoned up and checked for leaks and any issues and so far none found so that is good news. now i gotta check brake adjustments and rebalance tires and get alignment done and do some daily driving to get bugs worked out so it will be ready for next months car show here in phoenix (ART OF NOIZE) and be ready for WCN in april

• Like 1

Hi Wayno, I am doing fine.  The reason for the head replacement was the rebuilder did not know how to do a Datsun head.  Gene & Ben have pulled the original head before because of coolant leaks between the head & the block. 

What the rebuilder did wrong was:

1. milled the head excessively

2 groud valve stems to make up for the excessive milling of the head

The grinding of the valve stems caused the lash pads to work their way out, and on a couple of the the valves the spring retainer keepers actually came out.

What should have been done was shim the cam towers to accomodate the milling and not gtind the valve stems at all.  It is not a Ford!

The new head is a U67 with the stock larger valves and ports that was done by Doc 510.

Hi Wayno, I am doing fine.  The reason for the head replacement was the rebuilder did not know how to do a Datsun head.  Gene & Ben have pulled the original head before because of coolant leaks between the head & the block. 

What the rebuilder did wrong was:

1. milled the head excessively

2 groud valve stems to make up for the excessive milling of the head

The grinding of the valve stems caused the lash pads to work their way out, and on a couple of the the valves the spring retainer keepers actually came out.

What should have been done was shim the cam towers to accomodate the milling and not gtind the valve stems at all.  It is not a Ford!

The new head is a U67 with the stock larger valves and ports that was done by Doc 510.

Ok, now I get it, the valve height is a big issue, my machinist had to keep bringing in differant valves till he found the correct size for the last head I had modified, as they were at differant heights depending on intake or exhaust, but he finally found what was needed so that the rocker arm was riding on the cam where it was supposed to, and they were all the same.

I usually don't look this far back in a section, almost missed the answer.

• Like 1

thanks for keeping my post thread going wayno. i am hoping that i won't have to pull head off again anytime soon as i so want to drive grimace real bad. i have an itching in my pants... git ur mind out of the gutter.. the itching i am talking about my legs are itching to step on the gas and lay some rubber on the streets.

• Like 1

This thread is alive and well, we all don't have something to say everyday, so they tend to fade off into the next page, I call it hibernating, most of my threads have been hibernating for several pages.  :lol:

You never did post a photo of the damage, do you have one?

Keep in mind that having an itch is fine, but I don't want to see you on the news taking care of your itch in front of a bunch of rotating blue lights. rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

worked on grimace today checking out brake adjustment, throttle likes to stick when releasing gas pedal need to put a return spring on and make sure it is not to tight. will work on it tomorrow and get it prepped for next sundays show (ART OF NOIZE) here in phoenix

• Like 1

worked on grimace with charlie69 for the past 2 days and had modify the pushrod for the master cylinder to long and was not allowing the brake pedal to have any free travel 1/2  play, adjusted brakes til they would not allow drums to turn then backed off 13 clicks according to instructions in datsun 520/521/620 repair/service manual then took for a ride afterwards and to see if trucks pulls to the side when applying brakes. so far good on that aspect/issue but will need to drive it more than just around housing complex, need to drive it at least 5 miles and see if brake drums drag or get hot then adjust accordingly. will need to reinstall bottom center support bearing plate, but have an issue of carb throttle sticking and adjustment cuz plugs are black, running to rich, timing maybe off also. hope to get it dialed in before this saturday cuz ART OF NOIZE  show is here in phoenix this sunday and i hope to drive there in grimace 

• Like 1

did some more work on grimace today with charlie69. installed lower center support bearing loop plate that sits on x member, took off speedo cable and shot some cleaner into outer speedo cover to try and free up and dirt, took it for a ride still shims a little bit

• Like 1

did some more yesterday and again today. bought some new rubber grommets and steel 1/4 spacers that go inside rubber grommets that go to wiper motor assembly/frame. works good but had an issue of wiper arm linkages, driver side turn opposite than the pasenger side. finally had to dig out the service manual to read up on it. trouble is that they show pix of rhd 521 pickup with dash removed.. got it working correctly but need to buy wiper blade refills b4 they scratch glass.  installed new valve cover breather hose to air filter. getting it ready for this sundays car show put on by ART OF NOIZE. charlie 69 is gonna ride with me and hangout. will try and take pix

well had an issue with grimace on the day(feb. 10th) of taking it to ART OF NOIZE show. front end/truck shimmys bad when going over 25mph may need to rebuild front end and alignment. so did not drive grimace to show. went to uhaul to get auto transport trailer me and charlie69 tried to get it on trailer (drive) but half way up it got stuck on the inner railing of trailer it was getting caught on my frame. weird back in December i used 1 no issues, but this time i had some. maybe railing on trailer was bent out more. or maybe cuz i sitting my a$$ in it instead of pushing it on trailer like in december. oh well i decided not to take it. damn i really wanted to take it. but it saved me $100 dollars. so me and charlie just went in my silverado. i replaced speedo cable cuz speedo make noise. no more noise but off by 10mph. will work on it on sunday/monday.

worked on instrument cluster by cleaning up copper contacts were light bulb bezels go and where gas/temp gauge contacts go on schematic for better contact now just gotta buy led light bulbs for indicator/turnsignal arrows