GRIMACE

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i am going to tom(dat620) in a few hours before i have to be at work by 1pm today at the airport in the damn heat and sun, i wish it would be cooler and maybe cloudy but no rain or high humidity and maybe just a little breezy. I am going to help him get the stepside in the garage at his place so he can get it ready and do some work on it before we journey out on our long trip to cali (SWDP bbq). i am hoping to get spray bedliner in place before we go. maybe if it cools down on my days off (sunday/monday) i can get tom to help me mask off back of cab and spray it on the inside of bed/tailgate. i sure wish he had same days off as me. well wish us luck and see the SWDP peeps at the wigwam in 21 days and counting.

worked on grimace today. did some more primering of inside of bed, put fuel in gas tank to see if new fuel lines were going to leak. all good, drove it around the block after trying to get it running took long time for fuel to run thru lines and into filter so it now runs without using a gas can. need to see why gas gauge is not working right. i have a new sending unit in tankand as far as i know the float is set right. when i turn key to on/start position it goes to full then it goes to empty. anybody have any ideas?

worked on grimace today. went to 3 different body shops for estimates on body work and primer and possible paint. 1st one said 2k just for body work/primer. 2nd one said said 3k for body work/primer/paint. 3rd one said $600 for body work/primer and my neighbor works there and recommends them. but i am saving money for the SWDP event, so i am going to work on it until the event.

i am going to trailer grimace and tom(dat620) is going to trailer his ride as well. mine runs but tom's doesn't. i worked on grimace today i made up some door panels and it feels like that i hardly did anything . this damn heat when will it go away? here are some pix. psdoorpanel.jpgpreviousdoorpanel.jpgmockinguppanel.jpginstallingpsdoorpanel.jpggeneworkingondoorpanels.jpgfinisheddsdoorpanel.jpgfinisheddoorpanel.jpgdsdoorpanel.jpg

• Like 1

i got some more material for kick panels, so i am hoping to install them on tuesday after i soak old panel and make them straight before i wrap them. i am also hoping to prep areas where back glass and windshield go so me and tom(dat620) can install glass before we go.

PCD: i watch the news everyday and i know that the heat is hitting u and steroid very hard. i feel ur pain. u can't get things done to ur datto before the trip just like me.

worked on grimace today, me and tom(dat620) installed windshield and back glass, just a few seconds after we installed windshield on grimace it decided it wanted to start making a crack on drivers side but hopefully it won't get any worse cuz they are getting hard to find and expensive if you have to buy a new 1

• 3 weeks later...

well i went to a show here in phoenix,az last sunday night. it was the ART OF NOISE event and there was alot of cars there and people were coming up to me and checking out GRIMACE and asking me questions about it. there was only my datsun there and a old toyota hilux with a lexus V-8 in it there but when i got there my rims were hot. so after the show was over me and slam(daniel) adjusted the front D/S brakes and everything seemed ok but when i got it home all the rims were luke warm but the left rear D/S rim was really HOT. what gives? it was never like that before when i towed it to Doc510's house during the hot summer days. i think when i replaced brake line at master cylinder and then rebleed brakes may have something to do with it. maybe i need to check brake shoe adjustment and readjust them. i took off rim off and brake drum and noticed that the wheel cylinder piston rubber boots are not on correctly and they were fine when i installed them and are brand new so i need to get a new brake shoe adjuster and make sure that the treads have anit-sieze on them before i reinstall them, and check out the rest of the brakes for any issues before i go to the SEVERED TIES show here in Dec.

• 2 weeks later...

worked on GRIMACE last night for an hour after getting off facebook chatting with ben(fun5ten)from desert datsun here in phoenix, thanks to wayno for shipping me out the d/s rear brake shoe adjuster, installed it and reinstalled brake shoes and now i have to adjust them so they wont get hot and will still stop truck. worked on it until 3am this morning then went to bed until i got up at about 7am and went to tom's(dat620) house for a little while and helped him out

• 4 weeks later...

me and tom(dat620) bleed and adjusted rear brakes on Grimace got 35 amp alternator upgraded to 70 amps, hopefully go thru and check front brakes and make sure rubber wheel cylinder boots are installed correctly and reinstall alternator

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday me and ben (fun5ten) from desert datsuns worked on grimace, today i replaced fuel filter and got it running again, installed new headlights for high beams brights, installed upgraded alternator but when i got it running and was checking voltage at battery it was low about 13.02 volts but it gained up to 14.94 volts but when i revved it up for a few seconds it got up to 17.04 volts. but when it got back to idle it went back down to about 13.34-14.39 volts. what gives on the high voltage?

• 2 weeks later...

well me and ben(fun5ten) worked on grimace yesterday and installed internally regulated alternator and bypassed the external voltage regulator and tested it for charging voltage output. the highest it got was 14.17 volts at idle revved it up and it got upto 14.53 then went back down to 14.16and that is w/o any lights on, but with lights on it dropped to 13.36 so when i had my 35 amp upgraded to 70 amps external regulated alternator i also had the internal regulated alternator tested as well it is a 50 amp alternator. we only bypassed the white wire with red stripe that powers ignition light in dash cluster on engine bay harness that normally hooks up to the external voltage regulator. we went by instructions that was listed under electrical post- charging sys issues. we will see if any new changes arise for now. i did some body work on p/s door where the old truck mirrors used to bolt up to, welded up holes, grinded them down smooth then tapped them in with my hammer then threw a light coat of bondo now gotta let it dry before i sand it back down to see if more will be needed prior to primering the doors.

worked on grimace again in the last 2 days. did some body repair work, welded up holes where old trucker mirrors used to mounted up to on doors, grinded down welds and threw some bondo on it then let it dry for a few days, sanded , checked for smoothness and primed areas, getting it ready for car show here in december, hope to have it painted by the WCN show in parker in april.

• 1 month later...

been slowly working on grimace, went to the severed ties show back in december, and i was the only datsun there, there were a few old chevy luvs there and the normal s-10's, tacos, lowriders, hondas, u know new stuff. then some a**hole hits my truck(silverado) and took off but a couple of NC(negative camber) guys tried to run him down and stop him but they could not. they did manage to get a plate number and description of the vehicle and the cops (worthless unless your dying or been shot or your a fellow cop) did nothing cuz they said it was on private property and they would give me an incident # to report to my insurance. how lame is that? well it is gonna cost me about 1k to fix truck.  so now on to grimace, got a rebuilt u67 open chambered head from doc510 (datsun guru) here in phoenix, and am looking forward to installing it on my motor, and make sure brakes a in good working order- no dragging issues this time cuz there is gonna be another ART OF NOIZE car show on february 10th which is on a sunday so i am hoping to have grimace ready to drive to it. let us pray for a miracle. can i get an amen?    got a few guys that may be coming over on sunday to resurrect grimace

Since everyone knows who the lowlife is, you will likely see him again at another car show, but there is something you can do until then I beleave, fill out the accident report, use your insurance company by filing a claim, give them the information you have on who the guy is, in the end, if the guy don't pay your insurance company, he/she will lose their licence to drive till they do pay, and it doesn't matter where they live in the USA, as I know this because I filed an uninsured motorist claim against the guy, actually two guys, the one that was driving, and the owner of the truck, they both lost there licences in Oregon because they refused to pay me, they moved to Arizona to try and get away from there problems, and then tried to get a licence there, nope, no licence there either, till they show financial responsibility, they will not get a licence in this country.

File a hit and run accident report, file a claim with your insurance against them, and let the wheels turn.

Now I have to say this, I have no idea who your insured with, maybe it won't work for you the way it worked for me, you should talk to your agent, or another insurance company agent that you might know to make sure the outcome will be to your advantage, I have Amica, they are a great company, we discussed what I wanted to do, and I told them I wanted the guy to lose his licence if he wasn't going to pay, so that is what we did, and a couple years later I heard about him trying to get a licence, I have paid Amica more money than they have ever paid out because of me, as I have been with them since 1977, and have had no accidents, only one windshield repair.

They did total the truck though, but they sold it back to me, I straitened it back out and sold it, biggest mistake of my datsun life, I should have parted it out and made another one with a better body/core to start with.

This is what it looked like just before I sold it, and this is the ruined grill, I just took my time straitening it.

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

And this is what it looked like after it was towed home.

1965datsun320.jpg

1965datsun320001.jpg
  • Like 1