GRIMACE

I found a guy who will be coming out Monday to begin to prep my 521 for paint and has been in business for 20 years and since I have all my paint and supplies he said he could do the job for 1k and cut/buff afterwards so hopefully have it ready for July 14th bbq in Fontana 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i found 2 guys that can paint my 521 but 1 guy won't be able to do it until mid june and i stopped by his place to check out his work on saturday and he has some awesome samples of his work, in fact 2 of his rides go to the severed ties /art of noize events here in phoenix, he has mazda trucks.  both guys are aware that i have my paint and supplies and i have shown them pix or they came by to look at my 521 to get a better sense of what needs to be done. both are in same price range also and time frame

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well talked with the new painter today, well  the previous painter who i had work on my 521 back in 2017 only to find out he is a tweaker had did a shitty job, there are pin holes in the bondo and  thru out the whole body looks like he used to much hardener and now it all has to be stripped/removed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

went to check out updates on my 521 with painter, looking good, should have it 2nd coat of primer and see where high/low spots to work on before its gets painted and clear coated and cut n buffed out. plus with the holidays and bad weather has made process a little slow but i have a surprise for everyone to see once its done. i am so stoked cant wait to get it back together and bring it to shows i hope to have it ready for the "Art of Noize" show in march here in phoenix

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

roof has been worked and ready for paint, so the painter is finishing up 2 other previous projects and will be ready to paint by end of next week possibly, his son  who is helping him got into a roll over accident (not his fault)recently so he was driving a nissan armada i think and all the safety features worked and saved his life, he walked out with just a couple of bruises and minor scrapes. so grimace should be done and delivered by end of FEB. cut n buffed and ready to be put back together also will have the painter make me a tonneau cover as well to hide the mystery that will happen to the bed and will be on display at shows

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 1

painter worked on grimace on monday. he had  welded in radio antenna hole in drivers fender and then used some kitty hair/fiberglass bondo to fill in the area b4 sanding and smoothing it. the weather has put a damper on getting it painted plus other cars b4 me had to be finished. hopefully it wont rain anymore and since the whole world is dealing with covid19 issues and all car events postponed/cancelled here in arizona / california until further notice gives me and painter plenty of time to finish grimace  

• Like 1

painter sent me update today and i was like wow, i never expected the recent work he did on it. I'm not mad about it either in fact i should have took my truck to him first, I have seen his work and magic he has done on other rides.  more updates later on

painter has been busy, went by today to drop off snug top fiberglass shell that i sold to a mazda guy here in phoenix and he said it didnt fit his truck and the 1 i had on my red 620kc that i sold without shell and it fits the 521 bed with no issues cuz i took my 521 trailer frame and the bed that i got from charlie69 to get permanent trailer tags /inspection today. he painted the engine bay, inside cab,underneath the hood, back of cab, front of bed and will be 2 toning the paint scheme

Edited by gene knight

picked up an OG snug top fiberglass shell last friday that i used to have on my red 620kc and sold it to a guy who is into mazda mini trux b4 i sold my red 620kc, he said it didn't fit his truck well was like 1 -2 inches longer so now my truck will be rolling with style

• 2 weeks later...

grimace got painted today in spray booth now it needs to cure for a week and then painter will cut n buff the truck and then finish the fiberglass canopy and do interior work inside cab/canopy b4 delivering it to me

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a question now that my truck is painted plum crazy purple inside and out including engine bay should i paint my valve cover purple or the metallic silver, i have 1 already been rechromed and on engine right now and also the weber rectangular air cleaner top

i need to add some sublime green to the truck maybe have a pinstripper do something on the glove box and i have 720 chrome door mirrors should i leave them chrome or metallic silver, the front bumper and rear bumperettes were rechromed 

here is just a few pix of what is going on with grimace, it still needs the snugtop canopy finished and painted and installed and cut n buff. it looks better in the sun, i tried to upload pix  while it was in sun but i have to figure out my new phone and be able to free up some space on it to save pix to one drive and then upload like i just did with these pix

FB_IMG_1589093338563.jpg

FB_IMG_1589093371239.jpg

FB_IMG_1589093389938.jpg

FB_IMG_1589093402345.jpg

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 12

Love me some lace paint.  I've done a coupe of motorcycle gas tanks up that way.  Very nice.  Glad its getting painted after all the trouble you've had getting to this point.

• Like 2