GRIMACE

me and charlie69 worked on grimace today. we removed 4" blocks and reinstalled oem leaf spring/axle ubolts so that way we can readjusted rear brakes. now gonna need to take it on a test drive and see if they need more or less adjustment. had speedo cluster gone thru a month ago but my gas gauge says full but I only have 4 gallons of gas in a 10 gallon tank, so I swapped wires but no change, had battery recharged, had alternator tested but my ignition red light stays on. idk why. so now my truck is temporary a choptana 521 with a serious rake

• Like 1
  • Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wayno: I couldn't adjust the rear brakes cuz the blocks were in the way of  brake backing plate to get access to the star wheel to adjust brakes.

I forgot, you told me that before, what I would do if I were you, I would take the drums off, figure out exactly where the holes need to be, and then cut oval holes in the brake drum face itself, make sure that the drum has plenty of meat on it though, you don't want to do all the work and find out that it cannot be turned in the future.

I would then put the blocks back in your truck, or raise your front.

I have always hated the way they did that, putting the hole in the backing plate, other vehicles I have had in the past had the oval hole in the face of the drum.

well I am planning on doing some work on Monday gonna see if I still need to adjust the rear brakes some more and need to do some more body work on it. got to get it ready for severed ties show in December, hopefully I will be able to drive it there this time cuz we all know what happened last year when I put it on trailer and took it to show. damn hit n run on my fullsize Silverado. 

well took grimace for a drive in my hood and the only issue is when I step on brake pedal the brakes seem to pulsate. idk which 1 is doing that. I think I will probably have all 4 drums turned on brake lathe and go from there, I felt drums to see if they got hot and just slightly warm I could touch them for 2-3 minutes so that looks promising/good. so another step forward to getting it road/d.d. worthy.

worked on grimace Tuesday night until 3am Wednesday morning, and again on Wednesday night until 1:30 am Thursday morning. hope to have cab primed and painted by Sunday or Monday.  then get headliner installed, and find some carpet, sound deadening material so I can have the cab done then have drums turned and get it to exhaust shop to do some mods/bends for my exhaust. and I have a month to get it ready and driving for the severed ties show on Dec. 7th, 2013 here in phoenix, az. 

th_purpledoorps.jpg     

th_purpledoords.jpgth_fontanastyle.jpg

th_purple15tonletters.jpg

th_leafspringbar.jpgth_purplenissanletters.jpg                                                                                                                                               

recent pix on grimace

• Like 2

worked on grimace today with charlie69,  and ben(fun5ten), rich(rv510) both from desert datsuns here in phoenix. me and ben were trying to figure out about why my ignition light stays on after running for awhile. was working fine b4 I took instrument cluster to get dialed in/repaired due to speedo mph needle not resetting back to 0 and fuel gage ready inaccurate, was reading full on only 4 gallons of gas in tank. we narrowed it down to alternator even though I had it tested at 2 different places. then me and Charlie mounted drivers bucket seat. 

Hi Wayno,

Sorry ! ! I'm not sure why that is. Anyway, I am slowing down on fiberglass production. I had wanted to make a RHD dash also. Anyway, on My next trip over there I might show that project to Him. It is pretty much on the back burner for now though. I might be selling My NL.

worked on grimace today, painted seat plastic side hinge covers and levers,  went and got some more parts, finally went to exhaust shop and removed flowmaster muffler, installed new quiet muffler, bent up some pipe and now my Monza exhaust tips are welded in place. sounds great. got some double sided heat/sound deadening insulation and cut pieces to fit underside of hood

• 1 month later...

Ok big update on the progress of Grimace. Last night Gene & Charlie trailered Grimace to my place here in Bullhead. Ill be doing alot of bodywork on the truck on my days off  getting shot in laquer primer. I spent 8 hours today just working on the roof & hood...

v4pe77.jpg

6rizqb.jpg

The pics dont show it but progress was made & im enjoying helping a SWDP brother out :thumbup:

• Like 1