GRIMACE

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Love me some lace paint.  I've done a coupe of motorcycle gas tanks up that way.  Very nice.  Glad its getting painted after all the trouble you've had getting to this point.

Thanks 

1119445622_red_kc_oct1.thumb.jpg.e789c200699a8fd12f1930fec1d9e4cf.jpg

so i have a snug top fiberglass shell that is gonna be painted the metallic silver and the painter made a suggestion about adding a roll back sliding roof onto it since it sags in middle or come up with a bracing to resupport it flush. he has the sliding roof on his madza mini truck canopy but his has side windows and mine does not, he says it will bring some light into the bed interior that he is doing as well when i open it at car shows so that way people can see inside of it .  or he will continue with the cab roof design on the top of shell.  thoughts please

Edited by gene knight
picture of snug top
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

Personally I would not cut a hole in the roof, I would internally brace it to hold its normal shape and continue the cab roof design.

I personally think that these trucks look better without a canopy but we are not all the same, and canopies have there uses.

Thanks Wayno

No to the roll back rag. Brace it and call it a day. If you need light at a show, add interior lighting.

Continue the roof design in & out. Give people a reason to look inside.

Chopper Jim

• Like 3

thanks to all who voiced their thoughts. besides i don't think there will be anyone riding in bed and i will have the rear glass propped open at shows for people to look inside and i like idea of some interior lighting even though most are shows are during the day except for the occasional cruising event at night here in phoenix or at westgate football stadium

so i decided NOT to do the roll back  rag top on the canopy for my 521. thank you for those who responded. i figured the OG snug top shell would loose value if hacked up and in the future if i decide to sell it  the value would be worth more uncut, besides the paint can be sanded down unlike reapplying new fiberglass to fill in big hole in center top

• Like 1

so the painter got with me  today and the center of roof on shell is sagging on outside NOT inside due to age and being out in the sun prior to me getting it the 1st time, when i found it the shell was sitting on a mazda truck in a junkyard here in hell/phoenix so initial thought was that we would brace it up from the inside but it is double layered fiberglass and inside is fine, its the outside that is damaged and it is really textured by whoever decided to paint it with white house paint and it was originally red, but whoever painted it  they did not prep/sand it and looks like they painted it outside under dusty/windy conditions   so the painter says it will take a lot of time/labor/materials to get it smooth to paint and he would be afraid that the way the streets are here in phoenix which are very crappy that it might recrack the shell top that would be repaired with resin/fiberglass bondo. i have seen his work before during and after so i trust his opinions so it might be best to rethink the rollback ragtop as previously considered. i have thought about scrapping the idea of using that shell and buying another since it does not have side windows but i have to check on prices before we go any further.  i might use it on my datsun bed trailer instead if i find another shell  at tom's camperland here in phoenix where they have a variety of new and used shells

Edited by gene knight
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, gene knight said:

1119445622_red_kc_oct1.thumb.jpg.e789c200699a8fd12f1930fec1d9e4cf.jpg

so i have a snug top fiberglass shell that is gonna be painted the metallic silver and the painter made a suggestion about adding a roll back sliding roof onto it since it sags in middle or come up with a bracing to resupport it flush. he has the sliding roof on his madza mini truck canopy but his has side windows and mine does not, he says it will bring some light into the bed interior that he is doing as well when i open it at car shows so that way people can see inside of it .  or he will continue with the cab roof design on the top of shell.  thoughts please

normally I'd say this is a low maintenance back yard... lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
so went to see how my painter guy and his family are doing during this pandemic and they are doing good, with the hot temps over 100+ i don't expect him to bust his ass and over do it on my truck, but today he started working on the snug top shell by cutting out the roof section for the canvas rollback sliding ragtop and i got some lexan to use as side windows and he cut the sides for them to be installed as well. as soon as canopy is painted then its time to wrap the underside with crushed velvet material prior to installing lexan/ragtop. can't wait for it to be done.
  • 2 weeks later...

well i finally got the headlights i wanted on ebay and they have metal tabs on back of them so i had to adjust 1 of the tabs on each headlight. i got them from octane lighting on ebay and they are the 60/55w H4 bulbs

• 1 month later...

so here's the update. the tailgate had to be reworked cuz whoever had it tweaked the left corner of tailgate and did some rewelding on it and maybe reason why it was not lining up with bed corners when installed and then had a bunch dents and dings that needed repaired then when it came to using filler and sanding around letters had to use fingers when sanding them instead of sanding block, so painter sent me a video today of the letters being custom painted then on monday will use the vinyl datsun letter stickers to mask them off before he paints it plum crazy and then remove stickers prior to the clear coat,  the canopy was worse than we thought but now it is smoothed out on top and in primer then it will be painted the same metallic silver that the cab roof/a pillar/back of cab is already done in. once that is done then it will be mounted/secured to bed / accordian boot installed between back of cab/canopy then the interior inside done and then finally the sliding ragtop/lexan side windows installed

Edited by gene knight

tailgate done and painted so next it is to finish  the canopy by painting it metallic silver then once that is done 1 more final stage of clear then of cut n buff the whole truck, then do the interior for the cab and bed/canopy,  install the sliding canvas ragtop and lexan windows and delivered in 2 weeks

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 2

canopy painted today silver metallic and will take a few days to cure, then 1 more round of cut n buff the whole truck, then it is on to the upholstery session , and delivered by the 12th

Edited by gene knight

B4 pic of canopy and updated pictures  still need to install the black velvet diamond pattern material onto canopy inside b4 installing the side lexan windows the metallic silver matches that cab A pillar and roof/back of cab around rear window area

inCollage(1).jpg

Edited by gene knight
  • Like 6