dirtboys' 411 sss

dirtboy411

soo finally got my car home yesterday. found out its a 1967 bluebird sss. which doesnt matter now cus i still love the car either way. not exactly what i was told but oh well. so i had a few beers to celebrate since it got dark by the time i got home with it. heres all the before pics. and as time goes on their will be plenty of after pics too.

goin home

2b2a0c6a.jpg

dash

8fe7a1bf.jpg

motor rl 1600

05fd2ecc.jpg

7927b4a4.jpg

front suspension

1a59c02e.jpg

3b52ec14.jpg

heater love this part hahaha

f43ca113.jpg

trunk full of goodies

2535008a.jpg

now for after pics of today.

ripped interior out completly. seats and all. finding some flat panel stuff that is gonna loom pretty damn good made out of cabon fiber. :)

76673eb5.jpg

95e261e1.jpg

this is it for now til i get paid. then seat are going to upholstry shop for new padding and made a lil bucketed and gonna order new carpet kit in two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The missing thermostat housing can easily be faked, use a Kia Sephia housing and ream the 2 bolt holes up from metric to SAE. It looks virtually identical to the original, just a little shorter, a MOPAR thermostat gasket will complete the installation, others are no wide enough around the edges and will leak. See my writeup in the "How to" section for making preformed heater hose replacements. The wheel covers you have are PL411 but are in good shape. Use them, the RL411 "porthole" covers are nearly impossible to find. You appear to have a headlight relay in the parts pile. Hang on! impossible to find. Hopefully you also have the carburetter attach plate that goes with the original air cleaner housing. The filter element is about an inch shorter than the roadster equivalent. You have a great parts selection there, and will probably use most of them in the restoration [or upgrade]. Good luck, the world needs more 411s!

i believe i have the thermostat gasket. it would be the part that looks missing right for the radiator. the hose that connects the 2 seems to not fit exactly right and seems if i force it, it will bend into the fan. :( . can flex hose be a way to get around that problem ormmaybe shorten the one thats on there. i found out as long as i get the right diameter of hoses i can replace almost all the bad ones that are hard to find. or would that be a bad idea. i have just bout everything for the motor atleast i think. what looks to be missing i have in a box.

i believe i have the thermostat gasket. it would be the part that looks missing right for the radiator. the hose that connects the 2 seems to not fit exactly right and seems if i force it, it will bend into the fan. :( . can flex hose be a way to get around that problem ormmaybe shorten the one thats on there. i found out as long as i get the right diameter of hoses i can replace almost all the bad ones that are hard to find. or would that be a bad idea. i have just bout everything for the motor atleast i think. what looks to be missing i have in a box.

1- I guess you mean that you have the thermostat housing, not the fiber gasket. The MOPAR gasket is the one you want to use, the "universal" ones will leak under the housing.

2- See my "Upper and lower radiator hoses for RL411 and WRL411" entry in this section for properly fitting easily fabricated replacements. They look good, unlike the corrugated ones.

The correct battery is a size 53, long narrow 12 volt one. It was only used in the RL411 series and the 1964 Corvair so will be a special order although Peerless Auto Parts in Torrance stocks them in their warehouse. I used an aftermarket Honda battery holddown bar to secure my battery, it is the correct width for the size 53. Do you have the hard rubber battery tray that fits the locating holes below the battery? A little baking soda in the tray prevents battery acid fume corrosion.

1- I guess you mean that you have the thermostat housing, not the fiber gasket. The MOPAR gasket is the one you want to use, the "universal" ones will leak under the housing.

2- See my "Upper and lower radiator hoses for RL411 and WRL411" entry in this section for properly fitting easily fabricated replacements. They look good, unlike the corrugated ones.

ill take a couple pics of what im talking about and see if its what your talking about. almost home so itll be a couple mins before i get to it. ill be sure to look at you thread also because the part i have has water corrosion on the inside. it'll work but new would be better. lol.

that is a roadster thermostat housing. i have a good 411 one i think. ill trade it to u for the roadster one and and the extra under hood light u have. mine has a broken lense.

whats the difference between the two thermostat housings. do you have a picture of yours lol. i thought that my motor was basically a roadster motor since its a 1600 or am i wrong. i wanna get my motor running asap

• Like 1

probably never gonna find replacements of these panels by the door. but ill have carbon ones made this weekend :)

dc8a0c9b.jpg

template for both sides

f3419d3e.jpg

8cf576f7.jpg

also gonna make this for behind the back seat

962b217b.jpg

template also to go with

a7a60b92.jpg

since i dont get paid for another week and im flat broke ill keep myself occupied making these. :)

• Like 1

here is wat the 411 one looks like, u can see the difference

erqmpmefbkfmdsbmsfd.jpg

the part you have circled is good. i need the part that is directly in front of the fan like in my pic. the radiator hose connects from radiator to that themostat piece in front. mines seems not fit right. yours seems to have a flat top, mines takes a cap. my book doesnt tell or show me much either :/

erich's has the correct thermastat housing. Your is a roadster as he mentioned. I can check to see if I have an extra one on one of the extra heads in the garage if you need me to.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i383/dirtboybmx/my%20datsun%20411/dc6be14d.jpg

so this is the wrong one right. im confused. lol.

i put a old battery in just to see if it turns over and she did. but im not trying to let it run without these houses hooked up. so i just did a quick test to make sure the motor isnt frozed up. i need to flush the gas and brake lines as well. found on jc whitney the brake parts i need and a new set of calipers to go with. so i might just order that stuff next week when i get paid.

You are right the one in the picture is not correct for the 411. It is correct for a roadster. I am sure it would probably work for you just not the right one. The cap is on the roadster one as there is no cap on the radiator. On the 411 there is a cap on the radiator so using the roadster one is redundant.

im 99% i do. i can let u know for sure on monday, maybe sooner.

that would be great. i know its easter weekend so no rush. im not gonna be to busy either. just working on my car and seeing my lady. so if you can just pm me if you got it and when you wanna do the trade.

spent half the day and all night taking rusty ass parts off my car. found a sandblaster and a solvent tank in the corner buried around crap. pulled it out and got to blasting.

its the little things that hold the car together :) but soon enough ill have just about everything i can fit into the sandblaster blasted clean.

for right now heres a few things i did to mess around some before and after pics and forgot about my horn. but i got two so i put what that one looks like after i pull it out. haha

39c049c9.jpg

b2b31757.jpg

my horn looks brand freakin new. haha :)

cd9ea74d.jpg

4138b544.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

project for today. get my brakes going. flush lines and add new fluid to all four corners. and new pads for front. only problem is my rotors look like crap.

aec527a4.jpg

7e45b72e.jpg

4f7bb450.jpg

my mission in about 2 hours.

project for today. get my brakes going. flush lines and add new fluid to all four corners. and new pads for front. only problem is my rotors look like crap.

I believe that somewhere in San Bernardino you can find a shop with a "Grizzly Grinder" machine. It resurfaces the disc without removing them from the car.