521 Tailgate width?

thisismatt

My 521 didn't come with a tailgate, so I picked one up separately and it doesn't fit right. The right rear corner of my bed has been hit slightly, but the inside really doesn't look pushed in much, if at all. I could really use some measurements of the tailgate width and corresponding bed width to compare mine to. It might be that the tailgate hinges are welded on slightly differently from truck to truck perhaps...?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, that doesn't sound much different than mine. I think I need to find a better condition tailgate since the one I got looks like it got dropped open without the chains (dented on both sides where it probably slammed into the bumper. I think the truck side hinge leaves are possibly bent as well, cause I got the tailgate on and it's sticking out at the bottom quite a bit.

I am not sure how "perfect" the fit of the tailgate was to the bed of the truck when it was brand new. There is also a possibility that the tailgate may have been changed sometime, and the tailgate may have been dropped on the bumper. You might be able to adjust the fit of the tailgate with a block of wood, and a hammer, to slightly bend the hinges, and hold the tailgate closer to the bed of the truck.