JZ33's build thread 2.8

JZ33

So as some of you know i was getting rid of my RX7 (FC) and it took me a while but someone finally wanted her, and wanted to trade. Not just any trade, but something that i have wanted for (literally) 16 years now.

101_0293.jpg

101_0296.jpg

a 1975 280Z that i can now call mine. I have already begun work on her with a friend of mine and we are sanding her down (previous owner had already done some body work) and getting some fresh paint on her. Then taking care of some suspension issues (4X4 issues) and of course the little things. She runs beautifully already so im not going to mess with that just yet...

and for pics!

engine shot just because:

DSCN0275.jpg

took some stuff apart like the cowl, air dam, and taillight assembly:

DSCN0272.jpg

working on the wet sanding to even out the body (my friend is helping me so we are each doing one side... but he worked in a body shop)

DSCN0273.jpg

she has been through a few different colors is see...

DSCN0274.jpg

and more progress...

DSCN0277.jpg

just getting the other fender done and the cowl...

DSCN0281.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

DSCN0284.jpg

and reassembly!

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg

interior...

DSCN0299.jpg

and the suspension giving me a hassle...

DSCN0298.jpg

and my weapons of choice!

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0306-1.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

i cant get my blinkers to work and apparently i dont have a heater, but other than that everything works even the AC!

I traded my wheels for something a little closer to period correct haha and installed some fender mirrors as well..

Appliance mesh, 14x7 with 0 offset....

DSCN0358.jpg

and my fender mirrors...

DSCN0360.jpg

next is to get the hatch to stop leaking and to fix the stereo and blinkers...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start to a great car! Nice platform to build on. The interior is straight pimpin from the 70's! You should rock it a while! No shame in the old school! You could clean the seats and vinal prep them and do a black vinal spray on them. Works well. Oh, and welcome to the Ratside!

Nice to see you made it over from Zilvia. I have some stock black 240z seats that are mint. How much are you willing to spend?

haha i knew i recognized your SN, but right now im in the middle of a move so money is kind of tight....

Great start to a great car! Nice platform to build on. The interior is straight pimpin from the 70's! You should rock it a while! No shame in the old school! You could clean the seats and vinal prep them and do a black vinal spray on them. Works well. Oh, and welcome to the Ratside!

thanks! I was thinking about doing all of the interior with a nice prep and spray but I dont want to mess any of it up so i would rather just swap it over, but im going to be rocking the interior as it is for a while because it really is nostalgic haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

JZ33, is this the same car that was bought with profits from a 1JZ swapped FC? I was just reading about that car today. If you're not too concerned about "period correct" with the motor, a RB25 or 1JZ would make a nice swap eventually. But for now, keep it clean just like you have. Looks great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well... I did sell them.. but they went to another member on here and they are on his 710 now (i think... im not good at identifying which is which yet...) and I did get the coilovers, so the fronts are on and ready to go I just need to borrow my friends welder to finish the rears... but it's getting almost too late to even enjoy it now so over the winter Ill do that overhaul I had planned... wide wheels, flares, paint and a little bit of engine work if I can find the time... Ill get some pics when I put it back ont he ground!

you may have seen it, im not sure where oakley is but I use to drive it everywhere... I miss my FC, but I have a friend that is a rotary head and he keeps asking when I will get another one, and eventually I will and he will help me make sure I get a good one (i.e. not blown haha) but first I have to save for something AWD... either way I want my Z back on the ground this week but we'll see how that works out...

• 2 months later...