Steering shaft removel

1lo620

Does anyone know how to pull the steering column off of the steering box, on a 620. I thought i knew, but I was wrong. I thought you just unbolted the 3 bolts and it sort of twisted out...Wrong!!! It doesnt come out all the way.l. And on top of that I think I screwed up the bearing when I twisted it back in....Can anyone help me out..and also, if I did screw up that bearing, can I replace it, or am I going to have to get a whole new steering column and steering box....

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one piece with a worm gear in the box. I did the same thing and when I got it together I turned the steering wheel and instead if the wheels turning, the shaft moved forward in the box and popped that plug on the front and all the oil drained out. Friggin' nightmare.

As long as you didn't force anything you should be able to put all the parts back. There's a block with ball bearings in it that the worm screws through.

funny thing. . I just did the same thing one the weekend when I pulled me cab off. . I ended up putting it back together and know seems like there is a bit of freeplay in it so I am keeping the fingers crossed I didn't screw it up majorly! I ended up unbolting the box from the frame and popping the tie rods out, honestly it was easy! (alot easier than all the screwing around I did trying to get the shaft out)