My Ratsun Datsun 521, now with L-20-B and a five speed

DanielC

That is what my transmission mount brackets look like, I thought it was a good design and could take weight.

Have I not mentioned about removing the clutch cover/disc in the past, you have to remove them to remove the transmission also, that is the price you have to pay to have a 5 speed in a Datsun 521.

• Like 1
  • Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charlie I saw this comment to Daniel and I dont think its correct.....

Screenshot-20190112-175948-Chrome.jpg

Daniel is this a long tail 71b transmission ?

I think those pinions are the same as the z car..... they are shorter and on the right side..... 

Mine being a stumpy 71b, the speedo is on the left like the 63 series 4 spd.... the one I'm using was in the 5spd before,  I used it in the 4spd, and I did have to rotate it 180 and cut the notch for it to actually work in the 5spd. I know they have 2 types 1 being offset depending on the number of gear teeth.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

There is a 1980 in one of the wrecking yards here.  I will be in the yard on Saturday and will pull the speedometer drive pinion for you if it is still there.

Nissan Part No.: 32702-E9819

PINION ASY SPEEDOMETER

Lookup Code 32702

Part Description Pinion Assy-Speedometer

19T

Replaced By 32702-58S19

1980 720 5 Speed Speedometer Drive Pinion Assembly At Nissan Parts Deal

Edited by Charlie69
On 1/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, DanielC said:

The L-20-B engine and 5 speed transmission came out of a 1980 720 pickup, with AC.  I tried to find the rear axle ration on the body tag on that truck, but I could not find where the ratio was on the truck. 

Daniel On the 720 passenger side of the inner fender near the firewall is an aluminum plate that gives the engine, transmission, and the rear end ratio.  This plate is held to the inner fender well by 2 white plastic rivets.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:17 PM, DanielC said:

The five speed transmission I put in Ratsun is a long shaft transmission.    The speedometer pinion is shorter than the four speed transmission speedometer pinion.

Charlie, thanks a lot for that chart!

Yesterday, I tried to put the speedometer pinion that came with the 1980 720 transmission, it has a red pinion 20 tooth pinion, but for some reason it would not go in the transmission, so I ended up putting a green 23 tooth pinion.

The green 23 tooth pinion was in Dragon for a long time, and one time I got a speeding ticket.  When I told the arresting officer, I had changed transmissions in that truck, and I was not sure if the speedometer was accurate, he strongly recommended I get the speedometer checked for accuracy.  I did that, and in traffic court, before my case, the officer asked if I did get the speedometer checked, he then asked for the speedometer accuracy slip, and looked at it, and handed the slip back to me.  The slip said my speedometer was about 11% too slow.

When the judge called my name, the officer asked to talk to the judge.  The officer pointed out that my speedometer was registering too slow, and asked the judge to dismiss the case.  The judge asked me if I had a problem with that, and I said no.

I did go the the Sonic Datsun meet yesterday in Wilsonville, and the drive there is part 65 MPH freeway. I was keeping up with traffic flow, and the speedometer in Ratsun was rarely above 60 MPH.

• Like 1

The best way I was told to check for speedometer accuracy is to use highway markers and the odometer....

Record your mileage, drive for 10 miles and record your mileage.....  that would tell you if the odometer is tracking correctly....

Once that was correct I then used a GPS app on my phone to see what the mph was....

Even on my 521 I corrected the odometer with a ratio adaptor,  but my speedometer is still about 5mph across the whole range...

That needs a slight recalibration.....

• Like 1

If 11% too slow you need to speed the speedometer cable up with a smaller number of teeth. The difference between 23 and 21 is 9.52% close enough. this reduces the error to 1.48% or about 3/4 MPH at 50 MPH. Again..... close enough. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Mike you received my only purple gear.

I still have it somewhere.

The automatic had 4.375 for sure. All 4 and 5 speeds were 4.11 unless the optional 4.375 was specified, or it had the Camper or Cab/Chassis option.

• Like 1

A quick question.

Spending some time under Ratsun, putting the five speed transmission in it, I noticed the pinion on the differential is leaking oil. 

Can I just remove the flange nut, and the flange, and replace the oil seal, and retorque the nut that holds the flange, or it is more involved than that?

• Like 1

They say you have to replace the crush bushing inside but I have done exactly what you describe as long as you done 'disturb' anything inside. Make sure you torque it properly to whatever it is. Got to be well over 100 pounds. 

• Like 1

That's exactly how I changed the pinion seal on my roadster, which is basically the same rear end. From what I found with these old Datsuns was that the spacing between the bearings is preset with shims and a solid steel spacer that the pinion shaft slides through. Preload is set with the tightening of the pinion nut. I marked the pinion shaft and the nut prior to taking the nut off, such that I could line everything back up when putting it back on. 

On newer cars, there is a crush sleeve that sets the bearing preload, and if tightened too far, there is no going back. Luckily these old diffs are easier to work on. 

• Like 1

I think I got mine at NAPA. I took the Nissan seal part number in and they cross referenced it. I also did the transfer case seal, lower output and the upper input from the transmission but the flange just simply tightens in.

Don't forget to grease the seal lips so it doesn't start up dry. This is not so much for you Daniel but for others that may read this. 

• Like 1

Rock Auto lists an SKF 13972

It also lists OEM P/N 38189-A6100, which is NLA.

Crosses with a national 474125N

SKF Bearing 1428515

Beck Arnley 052-3172

Timken 223555

It’s weird though, as most of those parts aren’t readily available.

Shaft diameter: 35mm

Bore diameter: 64mm

Width: 8mm

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

Some transmission install details.

I used the throwout bearing, and lever that was on the transmission in Ratsun before I did the transmission swap, but the throwout bearing and sleeve are from a L-20-B engine.  However, when I put slave cylinder back on the transmission, the stock pushrod was too short.  I went to Ace Hardware, and got a longer M8-1.25 bolt, and cut the head off the bolt, and chucked the bolt in a drill, and then ground a ball end on the cut off bolt by using the drill to turn the bolt while I held the end of the bolt on a grinding disk on a angle grinder.  i also got aspring that looked about right at Ace Hardware.

ClutchSlave1.JPG

The reverse light switch on a stock 521 four speed transmission is on the aft end of the transmission.  On the 1980 720 five speed transmission, the switch is the farthest forward switch.

I took the reverse light switch out of the transmission, and added some longer wires to the switch.

ReversrSwitch1.JPG  

The longer wires were pushed through the boot, and then I cut the wires on the original terminals, and spliced them to the wires on the switch, with

some heat shrink on the wires before soldering them together.

ReverseSwitch2.JPG

Then I put the switch on the transmission, and hooked up the wires.

ReverseSwitch3.JPG

Reverse Lights off.

ReverseLightOff.JPG

Reverse lights on.

ReverseLightOn.JPG

I was running the truck with a green 23 tooth speedometer pinion, i pulled that pinion out, and put a red 20 tooth speedometer pinion in the transmission.  Sorry, no pictures.

This transmission has been shifting with some difficulty in to the lower gears, especially when down shifting, cold.  i got a recommendation to try this transmission lube, and drained and refilled the transmission with it today.

DelcoTransFluid.JPG

Then I did a test drive, over a known 7.6 mile distance.  First, impression the transmission shifts a lot easier.  The odometer read 7.8 miles over that distance.  I can live with that, I would rather have the speedometer read slightly too fast, rather than too slow.  It avoids having to explain why I was exceeding the speed limit.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 2