My Ratsun Datsun 521, now with L-20-B and a five speed

DanielC

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been driving Ratsun almost every day.  With driving it, comes the need for maintenance.  This morning, I checked the oil in the differential, and transmission.  Both had pretty clean oil, but it was low.  This is how I added oil to the transmission.

This is a lube pump that screws on a quart oil bottle, it is used to pump gear lube into the lower unit of an outboard boat motor.

LubePump_zpsc4a0738e.jpg

This is the end of the pump in the transmission fill hole.  You are looking between the torsion bar, and the exhaust piper.

TransFill_zps29beff65.jpg

Since driving Ratsun, it has been getting louder and louder.  This is why.

HoleyMuff_zpsff2d0377.jpg

Money is tight, and I want to keep driving Ratsun.  This is the solution I can up with, until  I can get a good muffler.  I took an empty one gallon paint thinner can, and cut the ends off, and then cut the seam in the side of the can to get a piece of thin sheet metal.

CutCan_zpsfa5e0bdc.jpg

Then I wrapped two pieces of the can around the muffler, and tied it on with wire.

MuffWrapped_zps026594a7.jpg

I also got ambitious, and hit most of the Zerk fittings with a grease gun.  I forgot how many there are on a 521!

• Like 1

Ratsun has been getting some new parts, From the local friendly neighborhood Nissan dealer.

41153-71200 This is the oval rubber boot that covers the brake adjuster.

54519-08700 This is the rubber bushing that goes on the top of the link that holds the kingpin.

65158-A4500 This is the rubber rear hood bumper.

21200-P7906 Thermostat, 11063-07N00 Gasket for thermostat cover.

11026-61000 copper washer for the oil pan drain plug.

I think I mentioned earlier that I took Ratsun down the Gladstone Nissan to get the front end alignment checked.  They did that, and a few days ago I got some little plastic key cards, that had a preloaded $25.00 value off future purchases at Gladstone Nissan.

They also give a discount for Community.Ratsun.Net members.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 1

The temp gauge was not working reliably on Ratsun.  I did not know if it was a temp sender, or a thermostat stuck open.  most of the time, the temp gauge was just reading too low.   And even though I flushed out the cooling system 12 days ago, I decided to do it again, only more vigorously. 

After draining the system, I took the radiator out, and also took the thermostat out.  I then put the thermostat cover back on, long with the two radiator hoses.  Next, I took a garden hose, pushed it in one radiator hose, and turned the water on.  More rusty water came out, than it eventually turned clear.  Then I disconnected one heater hose, and blew compressed air into it.  More rusty water came out, and that eventually became clear.  Then I put the heater hose back on.  Then I removed the block drain plug, the one by the starter, and blew compressed air into that hole, while running water into a radiator hose.  even more rusty water cam out, and I had to do this several times.

Finally the water came out clear, even with air being blown into the system at the same time.

With the radiator out, I filled it with water, and blew air into the drain plug hole, and got a bunch of rust and sediment to come out of the radiator.  I then got it to come clean, and then I put the radiator back in, and a new thermostat, and gasket, and new coolant.

Did a short test drive, and the temp gauge was still erratic.  So when I got home, I unplugged the temp gauge sender wire, at the engine, and  plugged my test light into it.  That made the temp gauge show a little less than normal, so I thought the sender was bad.  Then I got a temp sender out old an old thermostat housing, and after draining the coolant enough, put the other sender in.  A short test drive to a local store, and the temp gauge seems to be working.  Finally.

I had a lamp go bad in the right rear turn signal.  Put a new bulb in, now the right turn signal works again.

Just for fun, I did a compression test on the engine, after the engine was warm.  1, 160 LBS  2, 162 LBS  3, 163 LBS 4, 163 LBS.

Also this morning, I put some paint thinner into a 521 oil pan I have been working on repairing, to check for leaks.  Lets just say I have more welding to do on the oil pan.

I almost forgot.  In my running around today, I got a generic "made in China" fender mount radio antenna.  I mounted the antenna on the fender, and found a grommet in good shape that goes into the inner fender, and another grommet for the firewall, and threaded the antenna cable in to the cab.  I plugged the antenna wire into the radio, hooked up a speaker, and the stock Datsun radio works.  Tomorrow, I need to mount the speaker to the firewall, under the glovebox.

On this page

More preventive maintenance.
August 31, 2013 pictures
First one ton load of wood pellets
FM radio adapter added to AM radio
Pick up scrap wood, take it to Wayno's house, get another windshield gasket.
Another trip to Foster road Pick-n-Pull, find elephant oil cap.
New outer headlights, found some smaller door mount mirrors, put them on.
Door holding adapter for engine stand.
Started work on spare left door. Home depot foil insulation.
More door insulation options

Ratsun is a long way from being a nice truck.  But Ratsun is being pretty reliable. I first drove Ratsun on the road about two weeks ago, and so far, I have driven it 338 indicated miles.   The speedometer is still reading fast.

Today, more boring preventive maintenance stuff.  First, I adjusted the valves, most all were too loose.  I also tightened the headbolts, they also were loose, and checked the manifold bolts, the manifold bolts were OK.   I also adjusted the front brakes again.

The speaker for the radio was just sitting loose on the floor.  For some reason, the two holes to hold the plastic factory box are too high, to match the brackets on a factory speaker I bought a while ago from Master-turbo-tronics.

The speaker bow would not fit between the bracket for the parcel tray, on the firewall, and the bolt that holds the wiper motor, in the engine compartment.  My solution was to remove the stock brackets off the plastic speaker box, and make a new bracket, that holds the spreaker box at a 90 degree angle to the original position.

I drove Ratsun again tonight, and the temp gauge is working good, and the engine is a lot quieter with the valves adjusted.

Ratsun is a long way from being a nice truck.  But Ratsun is being pretty reliable. I first drove Ratsun on the road about two weeks ago, and so far, I have driven it 338 indicated miles.   The speedometer is still reading fast.

Today, more boring preventive maintenance stuff.  First, I adjusted the valves, most all were too loose.  I also tightened the headbolts, they also were loose, and checked the manifold bolts, the manifold bolts were OK.   I also adjusted the front brakes again.

The speaker for the radio was just sitting loose on the floor.  For some reason, the two holes to hold the plastic factory box are too high, to match the brackets on a factory speaker I bought a while ago from Master-turbo-tronics.

The speaker bow would not fit between the bracket for the parcel tray, on the firewall, and the bolt that holds the wiper motor, in the engine compartment.  My solution was to remove the stock brackets off the plastic speaker box, and make a new bracket, that holds the spreaker box at a 90 degree angle to the original position.

I drove Ratsun again tonight, and the temp gauge is working good, and the engine is a lot quieter with the valves adjusted.

Keep plugging away at it, before you know it, it will be nice to drive, I always have to have tunes, once that has been taken care of, I generally start driving it all the time and then get all the luxury stuff taken care of.

I used to drive my 521KC off and on, but then I readied it for a trip to LA to pick up a bunch of windshields, that's when stuff got done, sound deadening of the doors, door locks, door cards, carpeting, glovebox insert, and bunch of other little things, after that trip, it was a nice daily driver, and I am happy that trip got me in gear, and it went off without a hic-up, except for a body mount bolt starting to make a squeaking sound that I thought was a wheel bearing at first, no worries what so ever, fact is, I have never happier with a project, but I did not have new car expectations either.

It has been a little over a week since I posted.  Still driving Ratsun, almost daily.

Some current pictures.

Right side

RatLeft_zps64c4af18.jpg

Left Side

RatRight_zps464337fd.jpg

Front

RatFwd_zpse1ba1589.jpg

Back

RatAft_zpsb07a8aa1.jpg

Engine

RatEngine_zpsb66b486d.jpg

Interior left

RatInLeft_zps4ddbc8c4.jpg

Interior right

RatInRight_zpsd5aed5c7.jpg

This last week, I loaded about 300 pounds of scrap metal into Ratsun, and sold it.  Got about $87.00 for that.  Later last week, I moved some wood, from a old dying cherry tree from Dragon, to Ratsun, and took it to a friends house, for a party he is having Saturday of Labor day.  Yesterday, I got 30 gallons of gas in cans, 25 gallons for my boat, and 5 gallons for my Aerostar.  Got gas fron Safeway, using fuel rewards, and paid $2.99 a gallon for mid grade gas.  I have got 184 indicated miles since the last time I filled Ratsun.  I am running the gas low, as a test of the fuel gauge.

I need to start getting Ratsun ready for cooler, possibly wet weather.  So far, I have left the windows down, because it is warm, and the felt in the window tracks is gone.  I have some other 521 doors I want to make nice, and put those on Ratsun, so I can work on Ratsun doors, without having Ratsun non drivable.

Drove Ratsun over to Steve521's house, and helped with his 521.

But earlier today, I put Ratsun to work.  Went to Coastal Farm, and got a ton of Wood pellets.  

Pictures later

This is how I lower a truck.

BedOfPellets_zps8fd7c05d.jpg

It makes the truck ride like this.

LowRider_zps209209e8.jpg

I also put some pellets in the cab.

CabPellets_zps8a7e7883.jpg

• Like 1

I put Ratsun to work this morning.  I went into one pasture, and picked up some windfall limbs,

Limbs_zps81af51c0.jpg

and then drove into another pasture, and cut up a small tree that fell down.

LoadofWood_zpsfd66e199.jpg

another picture

LoadofWood2_zps4e5b2d8a.jpg

Here is the rest of the story. This evening, I drove Ratsun, and the wood to Wayno's house.  I got a windshield gasket for Dragon, another 521 I have.  Wayno gave me a price break on what he normally charges for windshield gaskets, and I go rid of the wood.  I hope he keeps nice and toasty this winter, and the gasket stops rain from getting into the cab of Dragon.

• Like 1

Since August 8, I have driven Ratsun 716 miles, with pretty much zero problems.  Gas, obviously, added a half quart of oil, checked the other fluids.

I still have a minor rattle at idle, possibly timing chain, and the engine is leaking a little oil, but my plan for dealing with the oil leak is to pull the engine, and put it on a stand, and work on it there.  But I do not want to be without Ratsun driveable, and I also need to see how the engine I got with Dragon 2 is.  It has been sitting on my engine stand, sort of in the way, in the garage, but the oil pan on it has a few dents, and a brazed patch, and a minor leak.  I have been welding a badly rusted out oil pan, when I feel like it, the plan was to put in on Dragon 2's engine, but a 521 showed up at Portland south Pick-n-Pull.  

The fuel gauge on Ratsun never reads full, but seems to read normally, close to empty.   I went to P-n-P, pulled the fuel gauge sender, and then went to the front of the truck to pull the oil pan.  Found this on the ground underneath the truck.

elephant_zpsb9ba14a7.jpg

I also pulled the oil pan, the oil pickup, pretty much needed to get back home.   On the way home, I got oil for my boat engine, and another four quarts of Valvoline VR-1 30 W oil for Datsuns, and 27 gallons of gas for my boat.

But the main point of this post, I have been using Ratsun as a daily driver, over a month now, without any problems.  In fact, Ratsun seems to be running better than when I first started driving her.  The secondary on the carb opens easier now, and I am getting used to driving a four speed again, and having an engine that likes to to be wound up to work.   And Ratsun is using a lot less gas than my Ford Aerostar does.  Since I am using my boat quite a bit, still, I can just leave the boat hooked up to the Aerostar, and do the daily running around in Ratsun.

• Like 2

That's great Dan that Ratsun is doing soo good.  I think some of your oil leak might be coming from the distributor or timing cover gasket because I kinda noticed it when I was looking at it but figured you knew anyway so there was no point in saying it.  

Does that pick and pull truck have anything else good on it that you don't need in Portland?

Quick update.  one of the headlights on Ratsun burned out, so I replaced both high/low with a GE 5006 35 watt halogen sealed beam.  nothing special, but it was not too expensive.

I also found some outside mirrors that I put on Ratsun. 

The headlights.

Headlights_zpsf6661b25.jpg

Right side mirror

MirrorRight_zpsb6ce6e38.jpg

Left side mirror, with box the mirror came in.

MirrorLeft_zpsd53632c5.jpg

I may have mentioned this adaptor I made to hold a Datsun door, on an engine stand to work on the door, but here it is again.
This pipe and plate fits into my engine stand.
StandAdapter.JPG
This plate will bolt on to a right or left door.
DoorPlate.JPG
and bolts on to the adaptor above, and they hold a 521 door like this.
DoorOnStand.JPG

So today, I did some work on this door.  I put it back on the stand,
DoorONStand.JPG
I did some welding on the door, that is why there is a short piece of battery cable bolted to the door.

But this is an idea I got somewhere else, on ratsun.community.net
Home depot sells this insulation, for about 11 dollars for a two foot wide by 10 feet log roll,
FoilInsulation.JPG
And in their paint section they have this spray contact cement, about 14.00 for a can.
SprayAdhesive.JPG

I cut a piece of the insulation about as long as the inside of the door, and then cut that in half, the long way, and applied the spray adhesive to one side of the insulation, and then to the inside of the door, sorry, no pictures, I was still trying to figure the whole process out.  But before I put the contact cement on the door or insulation, I did a trial fit of the insulation inside the door.

The adhesive is a contact cement.  That is you apply is to both pieces being glues together, and let is dry for a short period of time, and than when you press the two pieces together, it sticks.

I slid the first piece of insulation in the door through the window slot, and was able to move is around, until it was just above the inner door brace, and pressed it into place.   Then I did same with the second cut piece of insulation, and put it inside the door.
InsInDoor1.JPG
Another view
InsInDoor2.JPG
And another view.
InsInDoor4.JPG

My plan is to put this door together, after painting it, and then put on Ratsun, and do the same with the passenger side door.  I have found some window channel felt I think will work, I have got two pieces of 1/8 ABS plastic panel, that will make a base for the inside door panel, and I have found some one piece plastic "Christmas tree" clips that have a good fit in to the holes that hold the door panel on.

• Like 1

Wayno,

How much was the repair tape?

I don't remember anymore, I think I paid about $70.00 for 4 or 5 rolls of it, but that was 2-3 years ago, the point was that it is heavy, so it deadens sound, you don't have to do the whole door inside, just what can be gotten to easily, but when I do my floors on the 520 project, I will cover it completely, and it's way less money than them other mat materials for sound deadening.

As I recall, I think that 4 rolls would do a whole 521KC floor, but it may have been 5 rolls, I don't actually know because I got in a hurry, I needed to drive the 521KC down to LA to pick up the 320 windshields, so I put the 521 carpet kit back in, and covered behind the seats with carpet padding and called it good, I can hear the radio if I turn it high enough, and that is whats counts to me.  :lol:

Would it not be easier to get a louder radio?

Just kidding.

The 520 is a drum, very loud and noisy, the 521 was not that bad, but I did not try to mount the cab as close to the frame either, it sits a couple inches higher on the frame than the 520 cab does, at one point the cab was sitting on the 720 kingcab tank, I have since removed that tank, and used a late 521 tank that mounts to the bed like all the 520/521 tanks did, it's now quieter, but I still have a ways to go.

I said that I could hear the radio in the 521, and that is what counts.  :lol: