Need a parts list for a auto to 5 speed conversion

City Hunter

I may be picking up a automatic 240z here in a day or so. I'd like to get a entire parts list of everything I need for the conversion.

I've never screwed with a 240z before so not sure what the clutch pedal assembly looks like. I assume it's indivisual of the rest of the pedals?

Anyhow here is teh list I've come up with so for

Obvious, transmission and lower cross member

clutch pedal

clutch master and lines

flywheel and clutch

flywheel bolts?

driveshaft.

So do I need a different speedometer cable or anything? what about speedometer gearing? Would I need to swap out the auto speedometer for a manual one?

Thanks,

Shaun

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find that the standard brake pedal is different from the auto and will come together with the clutch pedal. (if gotten from a wreckers) Best to get all the linkages, clutch slave, lines, flywheel tranny from one source.

You will also need a new pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft, a new clutch and PP, and a new release bearing for the clutch arm.

Speedo gears are matched to the rear end ratio, so when a tranny is removed the speedo cog should stay with the rear end unless it's a direct replacement. The auto speedo cog should go in the manual trans to keep the speedometer accurate. This will correct for the difference in rear ratios between a standard and an automatic ... see last paragraph.

If the auto and the new standard trans are the same length, then the driveshaft won't need to be changed.

You realize that you will be running an automatic 3.364 ratio rear end and not the 3.545 that came with the manual transmission car? A lower ratio number translates out to poorer take offs and sluggish acceleration.

The pedal swaps are pretty self explanatory and not hard to do on the s30 because everything is there pretty much, far as mounting goes anyway. Also, dont forget about that silly plate behind the flex plate because if you dont it will not allow the clutch to function. peace.

If you mean the metal plate between the transmission and the block that keeps dirt off the botttom half of the flywheel (or torque converter) all auto or standards have them. I think nismopu was refering to the tiny round plate that fits on the end of the crankshaft behind the flex plate used with automatics. It must be removed if running a flywheel.

i think the x-member is the same also, ive never seen a different one. same as the drive shaft. the pedals come together, brake and clutch. while your doing it, upgrade to the stainless line to the slave from the hardline, makes a nice pedal feel. lighten the stock flywheel while your there too, just 5-7 pounds, that way its still roadable, but has some extra snap.

lightened flywheels dont make a vehicle unstreetable, lol. City hunter had like a 13lb flywheel as opposed to the giant 26lb fly that was in his starion and had no problems driving it. Lots of people have done it in z cars as well. Theres a few people out there running the 12lb flywheel that fidanza makes for the z cars. I havent ran my engine yet with this flywheel, so I cant personally atest to this for the L-series. I just dont see how it could be much different from what everyone else says though. peace.

i personally love lightened flywheels, but ive heard many compliants that ppl cant drive them on the street, but make you wonder why the own a standard. the only problem is you loose some bottom end because there is no enertia to keep it going, but im willing to sacrifice!!!

lightened flywheels dont make a vehicle unstreetable, lol. City hunter had like a 13lb flywheel as opposed to the giant 26lb fly that was in his starion and had no problems driving it. Lots of people have done it in z cars as well. Theres a few people out there running the 12lb flywheel that fidanza makes for the z cars. I havent ran my engine yet with this flywheel, so I cant personally atest to this for the L-series. I just dont see how it could be much different from what everyone else says though. peace.

it was a 11lbs fidanza, and my stock was 35lbs kyle, get it right lol. Best f;n mod I've ever done to that car. Engein response went from poo to wow. I've drive a few cars with light flywheels. My friends act extreme 2600pp on a unsprung 6 puck on a fidanza works just fine. Maybe some people just cant drive with a light flywheel?

My starion went from a bit sluggish in first, to ripping through the gear so fast it was basically useless. I did some calculations and ended up seeing large power gains ni first and second gear 3rd it dimisnishes quite a bit, and by 4th there really isnt much advantage. I never had ANY loss of low end power. I had more. I dont know what people are talking about with loss of power.

Anyhow, picked up that orange auto tonight thatw as up in poulsbo. Funny after looking at 3 different onces up here, this was the cheapest, the best running, and also in the best condition minus teh floor pans. Go figure. Gonna go take it for a spin tomorrow as soon as I buy a battery.

eh I dunno, I may have bit off more than I want to chew right now with this one.

I was putting the stock steering wheel back on today, found out some moron used some standard nut and stripped out the threads on the shaft. Also found a decent sized hole under the battery box area I missed.

roof is a bit more dented than I'd like. It does drive though. I may just sell it and buy a 260 or 280z and work from there. I cant exactly get the type of work done on the car I need to without a garage.