New owner of a Datsun that floats--->

Ok update again. Ran the boat twice since redoing the alt. wiring, Ran great both times except an unfortunate thing happened last time out. The rear took on some water [big wakes] & the motor ended up under water for several minutes. That was a few weeks ago & ive since gone over the motor, rebuilt the carb & repainted some parts. Should be firing it up again soon but it wont see the river again until everything checks out ok.

So what happened? Where's the pics? Pics or it didn't happen... just messin with you Mark, hope she's back up and functioning.

• Like 1
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what happened? Where's the pics? Pics or it didn't happen... just messin with you Mark, hope she's back up and functioning.

Ill fill you in @ the bbq..it wasnt fun & sorry no pics :rolleyes:

Shes running good, the Weber rebuild helped alot. I think the ignition switch went bad again... Gonna bypass it & run a push button.

• Like 1

hahaha i was just telling some one on my project thread about a buddy of mine that had a jet boat powered by a l motor.. and poof here's one....powdercoat the trailer it will never need i done again...his had a rear engine cover but almost identical to this...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

cant wait for the heat to come back around, wish i had an l20b powered jet boat...im jealous, even if it had all the mechanical troubles. i have to deal with the troubles every time i go to the lake anyways. another project is the last thing i need. i didnt know you moved to az! :cool: too bad you have to deal with emissions now. :angry:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok update time. In the last few months ive had the boat out 5 or 6 times after.....redoing the head..installing new steering cable (& fabbing new bracketry for cable) ..new battery. Did alot of trade work for the parts but its worth it. It gets looks every time she goes out. In fact i got her up to 44 with the current top speed & loved it !

Im currenty building an engine cover with a custom touch. Pix soon..n

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So heres the frame for the engine cover im making. Im to the point of mounting the wood to the frame then welding on the shock mount tabs. This winter ill work on wrapping it in viynl...

5wmujl.jpg

when its done the valve cover & most of the intake & carb. will be exposed. i used cardboard to make the template...

2s84tw2.jpg

i also took the back of the jet apart & sprayed it candy blue w/ flakes...

2uemtt4.jpg

& heres the new / used top i scored at work. somebody actuall tossed this in the dumpster ! nothing wrong with it & it fit with 5 minutes of grinding the mounting tabs...

x6io1x.jpg

• Like 1

Dave..you can fly into vegas & ill pick you up. On a full tank { 12 gallons } we can stay on the water all day. The river is awesome with lots to see..even if its 115 it feels like 80 on the water. TY for the love..you know me i dont allow grease on my Datsun motors :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That little dude was bookin' right along, Mark.......44mph looks fast on a lake.

I sincerely hope that poor homeless man riding with you was able to get his finger removed from his nostril!!

LMAO @ Steroid :D:D

• Like 1