New owner of a Datsun that floats--->

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2019 Bullhead city river season has begun. Took it out last Wed & she ran ok..replaced the fuel filter & ill check the spark plugs tomorrow. I also now have the original engine bay cover ! It needs some fiberglass repairs then paint but nothing major. This is a pic from last year...

D-boat-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A few more pics from last weeks kickoff to the 2019 Colorado river Bullhead city AZ / Laughlin NV season.

We did a little fishing & alot of relaxing.

Im replacing the carb with a new 32/36 & ill install the sync part that opens both barrels at the same time.

D-boat-5.jpg

D-boat-4.jpg

a shot of the flakes...

D-boat-6.jpg

D-boat-7.jpg

D-boat-8.jpg

Edited by Pacific coast Datsun
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

A few pics from last weeks river time. NEW 32-36 dgv with Sync link & tall adapter installed. Nice smoth acceleration, smooth idle & no more running rich / the back of the boat covered in soot...

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail6.jpg

thumbnail5.jpg

& a Jet boat racing the London jet tour boat...only on the Colorado !

thumbnail2.jpg

• Like 5
On 5/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, Charlie69 said:

Looks like Fun Mark!!!  Did the new Weber help any with top end speed?

It sure is !!

It does have a little more top end speed & I'm getting a full throw on the throttle cable now.

It doesn't " kick in" like It used to when the 2nd barrell used to open..now it's a smooth acceleration all the way through.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Charlie69 said:

Please post the part number so I can order one from Pierce Manifolds.

The part # is the name of the part haha.

I called in my order & told her what I wanted but didn't know the part #...she said "sync link" is the part #...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Since my last post we've been taking the boat out every Sunday & she's running great.

About every 5th trip i top off the oil...im guessing the rings are going bad & I'm getting smoke coming from the filter on the valve cover breather.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ok update time.

Last time out the motor developed an internal knocking noise & I lost all power.

I'm guessing one or more of the bearings went out.

Over the winter it will get a full rebuild & I'll get the engine cover repaired & mounted.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a boat guy myself and love that thing.I have a question,what kind of cooling system are you using ? Raw water or closed system with a heat exchanger ? And how is the water pumped to the block and head ? It looks like there's no water pump on the motor.

If you are going to run in salt water you need replaceable zincs in your cooling system otherwise your aluminum parts then the iron parts will begin to erode.

20 hours ago, john510 said:

I'm a boat guy myself and love that thing.I have a question,what kind of cooling system are you using ? Raw water or closed system with a heat exchanger ? And how is the water pumped to the block and head ? It looks like there's no water pump on the motor.

The boat is propelled by a jet & it sucks water right from the river via a supply line next to the impeller that connects to a fitting that mounts where the thermostat usually goes. Water is also fed into the exhaust for sound deadening.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, jagman said:

If you are going to run in salt water you need replaceable zincs in your cooling system otherwise your aluminum parts then the iron parts will begin to erode.

Our boat will never run in salt water. We live 1 block from the Colorado river 😎

received_2880616845399864.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pacific coast Datsun said:

The boat is propelled by a jet & it sucks water right from the river via a supply line next to the impeller that connects to a fitting that mounts where the thermostat usually goes. Water is also fed into the exhaust for sound deadening.

Got it.Water pressure is from the jet itself.