New owner of a Datsun that floats--->

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TY spoona jay 21. Ill stick with the Weber..plus im making a custom top cover for it.

I had the back of the jet pump off again today.

Been dealing with an oil leak & i think i have it handled.

River season is winding down but Lake Mohave & or Lake havasu are close & the water is warmer.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update...i now have the frame for the engine cover painted..hinges mounted on the boat & painted..& wood cut for cover..new mount made / welded for pulley on front of trailer & im in the process of painting the trailer. Pix as soon as i get my interweb back.

• Like 1

I am not a boat guy, but this is a great thread! I've heard about these Sundance boats, but have never seen one, even after spending the last 22 yrs in the water table state of Michigan, with water & boats everywhere you look! Keep that bad boy goin'!! :thumbup: BTW, just imagine that throaty carb "growl" of a pair of dual sidedraft Webers or Mikuni's, with a nice air intake box to match the valve cover........mmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

Thanks Yenpit i appreciate the kind words.

I took my girls out in it today & talk about relaxing.

Cruised up to Davis dam (laughlin nv/bullhead city az) then turned it off & floated for awhile downriver. Only saw 2 other boats too..mainly cause its kooled off to 80 degrees. Sidedrafts would be nice but ill stick w/ the Weber as long as it keeps performing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Awesome lil boat, you know its the 1st time in my life I could actually see myself owning one. Thanks a lot dick! lol

These things are a blast to drive..not super fast but fast enough.Easy to work on & the best part is that my 720 is able to tow & launch it.

• Like 1

Idk if I feel too comfortable going very fast on the water anyway haha. It does seem like a great lil package, fuel efficient, fun, affordable, easy to maintain, easy to store etc... 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the mods / improvements keep coming. The latest was a needed one. Ive relocated the throttle cable & fabb'd a bracket for it. Now both barrels on the Weber open fully with no restrictions. Tow rope bar construction can now continue. Water test this weekend :-)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok new uodate. Last week on the river at full throttle i noticed water dripping out @ the #1 piston between the block & head.

1st i thought it was a blown head gasket..checked the oil & its clean !

So.....

Last year i had the head worked on & i torqued the head bolts to 60 lbs upon reinstalling the head.

&.....what i did today was check / re-torque the head bolts. All of them had loosened up 2-3 lbs & since i re-used the old bolts i now have them @ 70lbs each.

I still may have a head gasket issue but this "fix" was free. Next time on the water ill know if this worked....

• Like 2

I just picked up a 76 sundance and was looking for some pictures that show how the hose is suppose to be connected while running the boat out of the water, can someone help me out? Does anyone know if parts are available for the jet?

• Like 1