521 Noob questions

68Datsun510

So i have my 521, im starting to remove the engine (J13) and have wondered how one of these really runs. Sure, mine ran when i bought it, but the clutch slipped sop bad i couldnt even drive it.

How does a 1300 handle hills with the stock gearing?

Is a J13 that leaks every fluid, but seems to run ok worth salvaging until the opportunity for an L swap arises?

Does the stock 2 row rad cool it effectively? (assuming coolant thermostat and fan are all ok)

WHere can i get a vinyl floor kit for it?

Anyone have a good bench seat they dont want? Mine is trashed :P

anyway, ill post more as i think of them. So good to have this forum available!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The J engine isn't all bad. I love my J15 that i swapped into my 520. It has pep and is fun. The gears are proper for the J 13. It is a high rev engine so It will get up to highway speeds. They usually leak because of two reasons, one neglect and two parts haven't been around for a while.

I've daily driven my J13 for about 4 months know, and its about what you said...leaky, slippy, and all of the above. Like Brian D said, they're not all that bad...mine will still get around to doing donuts in parking lots:lol:. The carb on mine is the only downfall right now. Ripped it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together, and now can't find a happy medium for it as far as tuning goes. Good luck.