620, chop, cut, weld

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love it if you could talk a little more about what your doing with the "reverse" fender flairs. That looks really good, I'm just having a tuff time following where you make your cuts. Are you removing the part that drops it inward to the tire?

Also, where the hell did you get that back window? Who makes/made it?

I would love it if you could talk a little more about what your doing with the "reverse" fender flairs. That looks really good, I'm just having a tuff time following where you make your cuts. Are you removing the part that drops it inward to the tire?

Also, where the hell did you get that back window? Who makes/made it?

LeVan made the back window back in the 80's. It was one of the first things i bought after I got my first 620 in "86". This 620 in Jan 88 Truckin blew my mind and I did alot of the same things to my first 620 but the wheel openings. I came up with my own way that is a little different. I wanted to keep a subtle body line that resembles newer cars. DSC_0362_zps4f1eaf33.jpg Follow the sharp line, cut off invertet lip and then flatten the reverse curve. Take your time welding back on. Use a mini saw to not take alot of material off from your cuts.   
  • Like 2

I'll have to play with that idea. I was thinking about using the flare section from a '92ish F250. Splicing it in between the part you cut out to keep the factory look yet add a nice steel flare.

My current bed is pretty rusty so I may just pick up some sections from a Ford and "test" my idea on this bed to see how it will look.

I'll have to play with that idea. I was thinking about using the flare section from a '92ish F250. Splicing it in between the part you cut out to keep the factory look yet add a nice steel flare.

My current bed is pretty rusty so I may just pick up some sections from a Ford and "test" my idea on this bed to see how it will look.

check the size of the wheel opening on the Ford first. It's most likly too big. Go for the VW Rabbit flares. They fit really good on that one guy's 510. The super custom 620 I'm building down the road will have 82 Yota 4x4 flares but thet have to be cut down.

Not to high jack, but, I looked into weld on flares and found a few guys on a British car forum that are using the Dodge Omni flare. Looks like it may be a winner.  :thumbup:

I have a feeling if I were to get busy with a sander on my bed it would look a lot like yours. Full of holes!

Not to high jack, but, I looked into weld on flares and found a few guys on a British car forum that are using the Dodge Omni flare. Looks like it may be a winner.  :thumbup:

I have a feeling if I were to get busy with a sander on my bed it would look a lot like yours. Full of holes!

The Dodge Omni is actually a VW Rabbit... Chrysler just made minor tweaks. Any MK1 Rabbit/Cabriolet/Jetta should work.

The Dodge Omni is actually a VW Rabbit... Chrysler just made minor tweaks. Any MK1 Rabbit/Cabriolet/Jetta should work.

the Omni's body was a completely different critter, based on the L-platform. the only things the Rabbit and Omni shared was the 1.6L VW unit.

sorry, but I've been with Water cooled VW's since i was real young, and i went through an 80's Chrysler phase....