620, chop, cut, weld

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome build , can't wait to see what you do next. I wanna do the the same with the seams on my truck. All I need to do is learn to weld.

Theres alot more involved in welding seams. First all the seam sealer needs to be scraped out, then you need to open the seam so a small grinder can acess the rust you'll find inbetween the over laping panels. At the top of the cab where the roof meet the sides, the edges are brazed. The brass needs to be removed and at the top sides of the small kc windows the factory used lead to smooth out the panel. When that lead is removed exposing the seam you should find more rust that will need to be cleaned up. Finally tap the seams bact together and start welding.

I love how the truck is going. I knwo you have plenty of experience doing body work but let me tell you something I have learned from experience. DONT WELD AROUND YOUR WINDSHIELD!!!! unless of course you plan on getting a new one without burned specks in it :D

I was just reading this thread thinking the exact same thing !

hmm whats with the pitchfork? hood prop maybe? it looks good, keep the progress going!

I thought it looked kinda funny too. I usually put a broom stick in cars when need the hood to stay up but I was in a bit of a hurry and that pitch fork was in the bed so I used it instead. Served its purpose.

Well, not much more I can do now untill fab parts are done. The hood closes like it should now with the replacement upper tie bar.DSC_0065.jpgDSC_0066.jpg Look closly and you cans see a light grey color. Thats 3M Weld Through II primer. There was alot of surface rust under the upper tie bar. I cleaned it all up and put a coat of weld through primer on both panels.

Sick!!!! Cool build man. Im excited to watch the progress of this build..unsure.gif

What color is that 240 you painted...im feelin that color

2011/12 Hyundai code SCM Kiwi Green Met with lower two tone custom black with green pearl mixed in. To my suprize the Hyundai color is $250 per qt. The color I'm puttin this kc I'm building is Ford code SD Willow frost Met. It's also $250 per qt.

• 2 weeks later...

Lot's of ratsun people know that the bolts that hold the datsuns fenders and stuff together get rusted solid and the heads of the bolts break off. I got lucky with this one and only a few broke. Just for good measure i retapt the non broken ones and drillred and tapt the broken ones. Did some miselaniuos stut so it can go to the fab shop.DSC_0069.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My truck has been sittin at the fab guy's shop now for almost 3 weeks and he has'nt touched it yet. I've learned over the years not to give him big projects cause 40 hrs of work will leave your car there for 6 months. Luckilly his shop is only a few minutes from mine so I can pester him to get it done.