4Age in a 620..

gingg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its got a j15 in it atm, and im very keen to swap the head to a 7afe head with the 4age block

Then buy a Corolla. 7A's are a crap shoot to begin with.

But to build a 7A-GE, to put into a 620 seems like a bigger waste.

Sure, you're gonna gain a little torque. Seriously, a little.

It will fall on it's face before you get to your usable band. Not to mention, 105 chp seems weak for that much effort.

The cost of making a worthy 7A will get you into an LZ22 that will make you jizz in your pants.

Or go KA. It's everything the 7A-GE wants to be when it grows up. Thats even why Toyota made it.

Did they get the L20b in Australia and New Zealand?

Pete

na they came out in 180b / 200bs tho there easy to find but the price of gas is quite high, and i love 4ages as they hit 8000 revs and start vavle bouncing

Then buy a Corolla. 7A's are a crap shoot to begin with.

But to build a 7A-GE, to put into a 620 seems like a bigger waste.

Sure, you're gonna gain a little torque. Seriously, a little.

It will fall on it's face before you get to your usable band. Not to mention, 105 chp seems weak for that much effort.

The cost of making a worthy 7A will get you into an LZ22 that will make you jizz in your pants.

Or go KA. It's everything the 7A-GE wants to be when it grows up. Thats even why Toyota made it.

Theres only one ka24de on trademe.co.nz (new zealands eBay) And they want 1200 bucks for it, no ecu no loom.. so theres a big downful i no i can get a 4age with loom and ecu for 200 bucks, then a 7afe head will prob be 200... so there 400

Theres only one ka24de on trademe.co.nz (new zealands eBay) And they want 1200 bucks for it, no ecu no loom.. so theres a big downful i no i can get a 4age with loom and ecu for 200 bucks, then a 7afe head will prob be 200... so there 400

I didn't even notice you were down under.

4A-GE or a 7A will be so under powered in your heavy truck.

Being down under-you can easily get something we here in the states can't.

SR20! Whether it's in the form of a DE or even a DET, both are better options than a 'Yota motor in your Datsun.

I'd be chasing down one of those L18s or L20s. Less work. Cheaper. But that's just me.

You say the price of gas is too high? Aren't you putting gas into either motor?

And then wrapping your motor out 8K RPM? WITH the price of gas being so high?

Your 7A-GE doesn't like being that high in the RPM range. It's a torque motor.

But hey-it's your whip. Have fun with it. But if you're gonna be doing some odd ball motor swap, that wasn't meant to be, at least finish it.

From what I've heard, 620's are a bit rare down there. And to muck one up would be a crying shame.

I didn't even notice you were down under.

4A-GE or a 7A will be so under powered in your heavy truck.

Being down under-you can easily get something we here in the states can't.

SR20! Whether it's in the form of a DE or even a DET, both are better options than a 'Yota motor in your Datsun.

I'd be chasing down one of those L18s or L20s. Less work. Cheaper. But that's just me.

You say the price of gas is too high? Aren't you putting gas into either motor?

And then wrapping your motor out 8K RPM? WITH the price of gas being so high?

Your 7A-GE doesn't like being that high in the RPM range. It's a torque motor.

But hey-it's your whip. Have fun with it. But if you're gonna be doing some odd ball motor swap, that wasn't meant to be, at least finish it.

From what I've heard, 620's are a bit rare down there. And to muck one up would be a crying shame.

do you recon 620s are heavy? i no for a fact that my flat deck is alot heaver then my wellside was, but i don't no i don't think there that heavy compaired to what 4ages come out in, and arnt l series motors really bad on gas? how many mpg would a l18 get ? im prety sure a 4age can get 30mph on the highway, but then a sr20de will get about 37-40 im not sure, what to do im actualy quite pissed off as i had a sr20de fwd motor sitting my in garage for about 3 months was a complete motor, i scrapped it lol and got about 150bucks for it, had about 120km on it grr,

do you recon 620s are heavy? i no for a fact that my flat deck is alot heaver then my wellside was, but i don't no i don't think there that heavy compaired to what 4ages come out in, and arnt l series motors really bad on gas? how many mpg would a l18 get ? im prety sure a 4age can get 30mph on the highway, but then a sr20de will get about 37-40 im not sure, what to do im actualy quite pissed off as i had a sr20de fwd motor sitting my in garage for about 3 months was a complete motor, i scrapped it lol and got about 150bucks for it, had about 120km on it grr,

I just fully built a 4age with my buddy this summer for his MR2. It's fast, but not thaaaaaaaat fast. And his MR2 is extremely light. About 1550 with weight reduction. Yet my brothers SR20det powered 240sx or his L28ET 70 datsun 240 would rip the doors off that little MR2 with fully built internals, intake, and exhaust. Don't put a 4age in your Datsun! SR20! Do it! They can handle like 400+ HP on stock internals.

I wouldn't say say the 620's are super heavy. But as already mentioned, they're heavier then a Levin. And you can't get 30mpg on a 4A-GE at 8,000RPM. Never.

The FWD SR20 is harder to fit than a RWD one. Look for a smashed Silvia/180sx. Really. Parts are easier to source. I think cheaper to build. And way easier to make power. A beat SR will demolish a worked 4A, for a 1/4 of the price. Building an NA 4A-GE is not cheap.

Weight and power are only part of the equation. Gearing. You will never keep this thing revving high enough to feel any of that power. Anything above 4,500 is where you'll feel it. And there goes your gas mileage.

Now to keep it L...L's are cheap. L's are easy to work on. And not to hard to find parts for. Almost a straight drop in. And gas mileage on that motor-Well, that's what ever you make it. You say you want mileage, but you want to be fast too. Sorry to break it to ya...Ya can't have both.

I just fully built a 4age with my buddy this summer for his MR2. It's fast, but not thaaaaaaaat fast. And his MR2 is extremely light. About 1550 with weight reduction. Yet my brothers SR20det powered 240sx or his L28ET 70 datsun 240 would rip the doors off that little MR2 with fully built internals, intake, and exhaust. Don't put a 4age in your Datsun! SR20! Do it! They can handle like 400+ HP on stock internals.

Without the forged works, it would smash a 4A. Don't get me wrong. I love the 4A-GE. It's a great motor...

If it's in a Corolla.

Seriously...go look at some Toyota swaps. You'll find plenty of them with Nissan powerplants. Now go look for Nissans with Toyota motors. Find any yet? Didn't think so. Why is that?

I wouldn't say say the 620's are super heavy. But as already mentioned, they're heavier then a Levin. And you can't get 30mpg on a 4A-GE at 8,000RPM. Never.

The FWD SR20 is harder to fit than a RWD one. Look for a smashed Silvia/180sx. Really. Parts are easier to source. I think cheaper to build. And way easier to make power. A beat SR will demolish a worked 4A, for a 1/4 of the price. Building an NA 4A-GE is not cheap.

Weight and power are only part of the equation. Gearing. You will never keep this thing revving high enough to feel any of that power. Anything above 4,500 is where you'll feel it. And there goes your gas mileage.

Now to keep it L...L's are cheap. L's are easy to work on. And not to hard to find parts for. Almost a straight drop in. And gas mileage on that motor-Well, that's what ever you make it. You say you want mileage, but you want to be fast too. Sorry to break it to ya...Ya can't have both.

Without the forged works, it would smash a 4A. Don't get me wrong. I love the 4A-GE. It's a great motor...

If it's in a Corolla.

Seriously...go look at some Toyota swaps. You'll find plenty of them with Nissan powerplants. Now go look for Nissans with Toyota motors. Find any yet? Didn't think so. Why is that?

Hey I think you got my post backwards man. I said I did a fully built 4AGE and I'm not impressed. Yet my brothers 240sx with the sr20det is AWESOME and his 1970 datsun 240 with a L28ET with megasquirt is AMMMAAAAZZZZING. I'm all about the Nissan powerplants ;)

4A's are nice in the right chassis, but i dont think they'll be great in a 620. with a fair lot of work they can be powerful little things, you could start with a blacktop or something for more go straight up instead?

it'll be worlds ahead of the J series in terms of driveability and the like, but by the time you do a 4A conversion it would be a lot better to spend the time on a different engine with a touch more grunt so you can call the whole deal worth it

as mentioned, using FWD SR's for RWD is pointless as RWD NA SR's arent pricey (they should be even cheaper in NZ)

why not look about the place for an FJ? there's DE and DET's and they're cool as :D a fresh CA would be better for the 620, something to think about