Once again, life has kicked me in the teeth right when things started going good.

So everything was working out great. Got my garage cleaned out, moved the Datsun in, in the process of getting a really bad ass apartment with my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years, was in the process of getting my toyota sold (money for the datsun), Bob hooked it up with an impossible to find windshield for my 521 , making a decent amount at work. Then Friday night/ Saturday morning I pull into a very spacious driveway... My Toyota was stolen. Gone, and nobody saw or heard anything. Called the cops but you know how that goes, they'll find it when they trip over it a few times or if it gets in their way.

Problem is the guy who was buying it gave me a $2400 first payment, the remaining $600 was going to be paid before may. Title is still in my name and now the guy wants him money back. Don't blame him, I wouldn't want to buy something that was no longer there. But I've already gone out and spent $900 of it. Just my god damn luck.

Anyway, Its a long shot but if any of you see my Toyota let me know. Colorado plate #888-ORZ. Light blue and primer body. Black tool box in the bed with pinstriping on the top. Stickers all over the back window, including a ratsun sticker. 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR's. 4 inch bracket lift. Brass knuckles with wings stenciled on the pass side. Pass door has a huge outward dent. Rattling, leaky exhaust. Home made, rusty tube brush guard on the front.

Here are a couple of pictures.

stolentoyota.jpg

Image021.jpg

I hope it gets found in relatively one piece. I'll be in a tight spot if not.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you would.But fortunately for the rest of the world-that's not how life works.

Um ya... if someone gave me money for the vehicle, I would do a release of lien on it to make it not my responsibility. It doesn't matter if I am still in possession of the truck, if they paid, it is theirs. Then if the same situation happened to me, I would say "sorry dude but you left the truck here". It's a shitty situation for both parties, but you have to protect yourself first.

This probably isn't the case, but another scenario to think of. Is the guy who was going to buy it on the up and up? My thinking is if he was a d-bag, he'd pay you, steal the truck, then demand payment back. For an old Toyota I doubt anyone would go through all that trouble but I've seen stranger things. If he seems like a good guy, give him whatever money you have left, back to him, which will help things for the moment until you can get him the rest. Make sure you know where he lives though. Just in case you see a Toyota truck parked in his driveway.

If you do suspect him of thievery, then draw a paper up explaining the situation and how you're giving him his money back, and have a notary sign it, that way if you do find the truck at his place or he gets caught somehow with it, you've covered your ass and can get damages back. I very much DOUBT this is the case, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say.

• Like 1

That sucks. I'm down here in NM near the Colorado border I'll be watching its a rather distinctive truck. Unfortunately it has some expensive bits on it that will sell without the truck. I'd be watching for those rims and tires.

Maybe God will bless you and they just took it for a joy ride and left it somewhere.

And the homer simpson sound effect start "DDDDOOOPPPPPEEEE"

In that case im pretty sure he noticed its not there. But if this was me i wouldnt of taken that money till paid in full or have an agreement stating that you are no longer responsible for it....

Im sorry to hear man I wish i lived up there so we can mob looking for this sum bitch..

You could get lucky, my buddy was about to sell me his bagged o2 silverado and someone broke into his locker at the gym and took off with the truck. A little over a day later the police found it out in clearview.Still had the wheels, had one small dent and they poked a hole in his tank to steal gas,pretty much fine though. Dont know how common this is but theres definatly a chance you could get it back in one piece. Good luck

Why wouldn't he take the truck home if he lives across the street? My first thought was he could have stolen it and hid it somewhere and wants his money back, but a neighbor would be pretty dumb to do that. Hopefully you get it back, I've had vehicles stolen before it sucks.

I have sold 3 cars over the last 6 months across the internet.

Two paid in full, the other paid a deposit and cash on arrival. The two that paid cash, it was their car once they paid for it even tho the title isn't signed over. It was paid thru paypal and there is record of it. Its there responsibility then. I did however keep a close eye on the rigs and park them in a safe spot. luckily they didn't get stolen/vandalized.

The 4door 510 i sold, he put a 200 dollar deposit on it and paid the rest when he showed up. The deposit was non refundable, as there were many chances to sell it while waiting on him to show up. If it was damaged or stolen, then i would have refunded the $ as its not his fault. Sucks this happened to you man. Just my opinion, but i would refund him the money you have. Then work something out for what you owe, im sure he will understand.

^ lol at you guys that think if they give u money its not your problem. It is. You can get the shit sued out of you for them giving you the money, its not their vehicle untill they TAKE POSSESION! Which means you give them the title and bill of sale. If they pay online, or pay you in person and have to wait a day or 2 to take the vehicle, you didnt give them a title or bill of sale, and something happens to the vehicle, hell if it even gets keyed it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, and you MUST refund the person.

You dont see target when you buy something online and then the item shows up busted telling you sorry, you should of taken possesion of the item in person so fuck off. Open yourself to a lawsuit and a ass kicking, its the smart thing to do obviously people.

Hell untill they put it in their name, its your responsiblity, I have 5 parking tickets from a douche that bought my old truck because he wouldnt even put it in his own name. Sometimes people really make me wonder.

And also paypal, they wouldnt care if you got the money to say it was "paid for so its theirs" all the buyer would have to do is put in a dispute saying the truck was never put in my posession and i was never given the title or bill of sale, anything. And you know what they would do. They would lock your paypal untill thigns were figured out and then pull the money from your account, because there was no bill of sale made for it. Read some of the local laws, unless its written its not final. Ive seen people even taken to court on deposits on vehicles.

I agree you should refund the money but he should be willing to give you a week or so. The truck could show up still. If its not recovered in a week the money, what you have left, should be refunded. He should be very understanding about the missing money as he should have known there was some risk here. Payments on the rest should be good.

So everything was working out great. Got my garage cleaned out, moved the Datsun in, in the process of getting a really bad ass apartment with my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years, was in the process of getting my toyota sold (money for the datsun), Bob hooked it up with an impossible to find windshield for my 521 , making a decent amount at work. Then Friday night/ Saturday morning I pull into a very spacious driveway... My Toyota was stolen. Gone, and nobody saw or heard anything. Called the cops but you know how that goes, they'll find it when they trip over it a few times or if it gets in their way.

Problem is the guy who was buying it gave me a $2400 first payment, the remaining $600 was going to be paid before may. Title is still in my name and now the guy wants him money back. Don't blame him, I wouldn't want to buy something that was no longer there. But I've already gone out and spent $900 of it. Just my god damn luck.

Anyway, Its a long shot but if any of you see my Toyota let me know. Colorado plate #888-ORZ. Light blue and primer body. Black tool box in the bed with pinstriping on the top. Stickers all over the back window, including a ratsun sticker. 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR's. 4 inch bracket lift. Brass knuckles with wings stenciled on the pass side. Pass door has a huge outward dent. Rattling, leaky exhaust. Home made, rusty tube brush guard on the front.

I hope it gets found in relatively one piece. I'll be in a tight spot if not.

Madness, since I live in the area I'll keep my eyes and clicks open!!! I have a cop (Littleton though) friend I'll have him wheel some buttons.

I'm sorry to hear about your truck. My father's truck of similar year was stolen and they got in through the slider window. Trucks are really easy to steal. Luckily I saw the ahole driving it and chased him down and got it back. Good luck and I'll cross my fingers for you.

^ lol at you guys that think if they give u money its not your problem. It is. You can get the shit sued out of you for them giving you the money, its not their vehicle untill they TAKE POSSESION! Which means you give them the title and bill of sale. If they pay online, or pay you in person and have to wait a day or 2 to take the vehicle, you didnt give them a title or bill of sale, and something happens to the vehicle, hell if it even gets keyed it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, and you MUST refund the person.

You dont see target when you buy something online and then the item shows up busted telling you sorry, you should of taken possesion of the item in person so fuck off. Open yourself to a lawsuit and a ass kicking, its the smart thing to do obviously people.

Hell untill they put it in their name, its your responsiblity, I have 5 parking tickets from a douche that bought my old truck because he wouldnt even put it in his own name. Sometimes people really make me wonder.

And also paypal, they wouldnt care if you got the money to say it was "paid for so its theirs" all the buyer would have to do is put in a dispute saying the truck was never put in my posession and i was never given the title or bill of sale, anything. And you know what they would do. They would lock your paypal untill thigns were figured out and then pull the money from your account, because there was no bill of sale made for it. Read some of the local laws, unless its written its not final. Ive seen people even taken to court on deposits on vehicles.

Dan, Some of that is just what you think. Not what really happens.

When a vehicle is sold, you can go online or into a dmv and release the interest to the new owner, then it IS their responsibility. If YOU are a responsible person, you would do this to protect yourself and them. Ever notice how some people wont sell a vehicle unless they goto the DMV with you? Because they've got burned not doing this... Then the new owner wrecks it/leaves it somewhere, and later down the road you get a fine in the mail for the vehicle getting towed, and if you dont pay it your license gets pulled. How great is that :D A payment received thru paypal DOES count, especially when the BUYER puts in notes saying "This money is for a XXXXXXX with vin XXXXXX that i will pick up on XX-XX-2011 etc. Its proof you sold it, and they are to pick it up on such a date.

However, this is NOT what this thread is about. i just simply said what i had done in the past.

What seems funky to me is that he lives across the street, gave him money, didn't move the truck across the street, it suddenly disappears, now he wants his money back. I would hold onto the money and see if the truck is found. If you are friends with him, do what you think is right. If it was a neighbor of mine that I knew had nothing to do with it, I would give the money back. I wouldn't for some random buyer though.

I've been combing over the CO cl keeping my eye out. Which city is closest to you?