Parents = Lame

Hey guys and gals!

I'm 22 and living on my own. I really want a 510, and I'll get one regardless what my parents say, but I have to convince my Dad that I'm not getting a crap car.

My Mom brought up the point that a 30 year old car must be hard to find parts for. Is this true? If it breaks down for some reason am I going to be stuck riding the bus for weeks till someone has the part I need, or do dealers carry some new / refurb'd parts?

So really what I'm trying to ask is what sort of argument can I pose to my parents that would ease their minds about me getting a datsun?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The common wear items for the L-series are still easy to find.

Alternators, starters, water pump, fuel pump, gaskets, oil pump all can be bought over the counter or ordered and arrive in a few days.

You can upgrade the points distributor to a late 70's L-series electronic ignition distributor for a few bucks at a wrecking yard.

Shocks/struts, wheel bearings are still made. The factory calipers I think are hard to find but you can always upgrade to 280ZX struts and brakes. Those are easy to find parts for. There is always an engine swap to a late 80's/early 90's RWD engine if youw ant more accesable parts, reliability, and better power/gas milage.

The L-series engine was used in the 4-cyl version up to 1980 and in the 6-cyl to 1984. They were a good design and lasted a long time so parts are still out there.

dealership = stealership but theres plenty of L-motor powered vehicles around to get parts from if it does breakdown. Datsuns require love so expect to spend many weekends wrenchin on it fixing little stuff. Your parents sound just like mine and when I told them I bought my first 1977 280z. They about flipped out at that news BUT they couldnt do anything about it. To many people today think a car is just a car, hence why theyre all wrong wheel drive auto tragic lame machines. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty for fear that people will look down on them, or their kids which they think reflects badly upon their parenting skills. My dad still shakes his head at some of the cars I drive, lol. peace.

Hey, I own a heep too, lol...

Datsun are fairly reliable..until the day when you decide to fixit right, then parts end up all over your garage, with a shell sitting on the floor. :D

My L20 got about 25 mpg til I blew it up (I drive like an asshole)

It's an addiction...your parents maybe on the right track..get out while you still can...run away very, very fast... :D

I like how they keep there value, get a dime for about 2 grand running for a decent car and if you keep it running and in good shape it will just go up in value. unlike all the other cars that are practical :D Datsuns are like a pet, they need attention to stay happy :) Gotta tune them up and add new oem parts, I try to do 100-150$ worth of upgrades per month, I figure I save that by driving an old car so I owe them that. But the months I'm a broke ass there is no car payment :D yeah.

I don't want to do an engine swap, but I though in general, datsuns got pretty good gas milage?

yes Datsun generally get good gas milage. I got 27mpg with my fairly stock L18.

But if you build up an L20b to about 110-125hp you generally are getting 19mg.

Or swap in a KA or CA engine and you have 130+ hp and 25-32mpg depending on how you drive. Fuel injection just does it better.

What kind of gas do you run?

OH! also..

how many people actually drive auto transmission datsuns? Would it be looked down upon? :D

with a L motor I run the cheap shit, on my sr I run the good stuff :D

auto's are cool in my book, SUV's are the ones I hate :D

You may say your not gonna do a motor swap till you ride in a datsun with one :-D thats how i started

I rode in Micha's 240 with an SR and I was hooked :D

yes Datsun generally get good gas milage. I got 27mpg with my fairly stock L18.

But if you build up an L20b to about 110-125hp you generally are getting 19mg.

Or swap in a KA or CA engine and you have 130+ hp and 25-32mpg depending on how you drive. Fuel injection just does it better.

It sure does :D

What kind of gas do you run?

OH! also..

how many people actually drive auto transmission datsuns? Would it be looked down upon? :D

For a stock compression motor any 87 octane El Cheapo gas is fine. You might want to try several different brands of the same octane rating as your car may run better on one than another.

From a performance standpoint, no one would choose an auto over a standard.

From an enjoyment standpoint, no one would choose an auto over a standard.

Let's face it, some Datsuns were built with autos in them, and I'm ok with that. On their plus side they are reliable, trouble free, easy to use (no learning required), less work and smooth in operation. I might, however, look down on a driver of an automatic who thought his car was something it was not.

So really what I'm trying to ask is what sort of argument can I pose to my parents that would ease their minds about me getting a datsun?

you want an argument to bring to them...here's one:

"You want to get into an affordable car but it still be a classic car."

A Datsun will fit the bill!

Cheap Classics!

"After all it's only a Datsun if you wreck it."

"Good gas mileage and safe too!"

If that doesn't work then have them help you buy a car and bide your time until you find one you can get on your own without their permission!

Good Luck!

ps: parents aren't lame...it's the fucked up kids that don't appreciate what their parents have done for them...

I know as I was once one! And now I have 6 sons that think I'm lame at times! Go figure!

You're 22 and not living with your parents, you can pretty much do as you please. This doesn't mean that your parents stop being parents though. They have always had your best interests at heart and it's hard for them to let go. On the other hand you don't want to seem disrespectful or ungrateful to them. Welcome to the long road to Growing Up. It used to be easy, you did everything to please your parents but now, hey, you'd like to please yourself a tiny bit too.

How about: if they pay for it, they get to pick?

If they do, bide your time and save your money till you can get what you want. You'll need a daily driver while you work on it maybe, and when the time comes, return the car to your parents. That's fair.

If they don't, then it can't be that big a deal and they will just have to accept you making a grown up decision by yourself.

My dad hated the idea of me getting an OLD import car when i was quite a bit younger (17, now 26) He slowly started to accept it. Then a couple, maybe three, years ago I took him for a ride (we're talking, donuts, sideways, freeway speed blast) in my FJ powered 510... Changed his whole perspective on shit.

And remember: This world is only a horrible place if all you see is the bad. I encourage you all to have a pleasant weekend!

Well yeah, ultimately it's my own decision, and I don't want to be disrespectful.

My dad suggested I keep the jeep and buy a datsun with money I earn from a job I just got, but I'd rather sell the jeep and get the datsun. The only trouble I can forsee is if I sold the jeep and then couldn't find a datsun for like 3 weeks then I'd be bussing it to school, but there's complications there.

Also, I was thinking maybe sell the jeep and get a running 620 for cheap and use that as a DD until I find a 510 at which point I would still be spending less on gas per week and insurance per month.

Your dad is a smart guy. It would be a really good idea to keep the Jeep and save for what you want. This gives you lots of time to do research on what's available out there and with a D.D, you can go look at some. You don't want to run around with a hand full of money and take the first good one you see. Take your time, save up, and do it right. Anticipation, it's half the fun Good luck!

I kept my jeep (Of course it would be the last from my stable to go). My datsun is supposed to be my DD, but for now the jeep does the deed.

If you want to own old cars 2 is the minimum. Your never gonna be able to forsee every eventuallity in a 30 year old vehicle, and thats not getting into sourcing that one friggen part you need toget back on the road...

You got that right Redeye, I get nervous when I only have one running car. I like to have 2 runners and a few projects, stress sucks. I always make my "weekend" project into a month project thats why I need so many :D

Fiveohthree I suggest you go to the datsun club meetings in your area. Usually the best deals are found at the source... Well with 510's, there are still some original owner 620's for the pick'n. You can have them keep there eye out for you to.

I've been meaning to go to the Datsuns NW meetings down in Wilsonville, but I can't get the thought of being such an outcast (aka non datsun / nissan owner ) out of my head...

All good addicts go to meetings, Datsun addicts are no different, so go! No one will check ownerships at the door. I'm sure they will welcome anyone who loves any thing Datsun. Hell I haven't owned a 510 in about 30 years, but I love that car , I just love my truck a bit more.