the guacamole mobile

king bee66

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i started messing around with my extra dash cap. cut into it until all the lifted portions were level, filled in the cracks with that expanding foam insulation stuff, surfaced with black caulking, then painted it with acrylic-used a sponge to get texture.

35328365.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0139.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

i turned out ok,

im thinking i may coat it with polyurethane, we'll see how it holds up in the sun.

time to retire the original

PICT0148.jpg

• Like 1

I like! Good work man, does it look that good in person? +1

i started messing around with my extra dash cap. cut into it until all the lifted portions were level, filled in the cracks with that expanding foam insulation stuff, surfaced with black caulking, then painted it with acrylic-used a sponge to get texture.

35328365.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0139.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

i turned out ok,

im thinking i may coat it with polyurethane, we'll see how it holds up in the sun.

time to retire the original

PICT0148.jpg

you need wheels yo! Edited by RedBanner

I like! Good work man, does it look that good in person? +1 you need wheels yo!

youre right, im waiting for a set of cheap zx's to come by,

i wasnt expecting the pad to turn out as well as it did, i was just bored and playing around with it. it looks great in person but i still need to make some minor mends to some of the cracks on the sides to be 100% happy.

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0152.jpg

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0156.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ground all of the sharp edges off of mine where the vinyl had broken and peeled upwards. Used the expanding foam to till, shaped it then bondo over. Smoothed out the bondo, sand/clean the vinyl and then glue vinyl cloth over it. Once the glue has set, use a heat gun and stretch the vinyl along the edges and glue or staple in place underneath.

I did want smoother edges so I put a thin foam pad under the vinyl cloth.

cool man! do you have any pictures so i can see what it ended up looking like? my first inclination was to use vinyl but none of the glue i tried seemed to accept it very well. i also chose to just paint it because it will be easier for me to mend if something happens to it in the future

• 3 months later...

very small update. i spun a barring in my orginal a14, by running the car with no oil. (jiffy lube made a slight oil pan leak turn into niagra falls, i got on the highway and 10 miles after leaving them i had no oil and my motor was done)

i put in the a15 that i had around from the wreaked 210 that i pictured earlier in the thread, but for the life of me i cant get it to run. ive triple checked the timing, the compression is reading 120-125 all cylinders, dry. wet they all raise about 5. it seems low to me, i remember my old a14 getting around 145 dry. im leaning to a fuel issue, it would start up with ether, run really rough and not idle. after a few times starting it with ether, the crank started slowing down, so i stopped.

i needed a car to drive so today i picked up a 97 altima with a ka24 5 speed with front wheel drive. the b210 is saved from the crusher but has been put on the benches

the timing is at the 5 degree, the rotor is pointing straight at #1 on tdc, plugs firing order is 1-3-4-2. brand new spark plugs correctly gapped, brand new rotor...

i will look at the anti-deaseling valve, but where can i find the carb idle circuit?

im still using the a14's carb btw. also, after i started it a couple of times with the ether, i checked the spark plugs and they were already getting white build up on them(in case thats relevent here)

Timing procedure sounds good. Firing Order is clockwise for the A-series engine.

What's the fuel level of the carburetor? If you look at the sight glass and it's empty, stop -- that is the cause.

If the fuel bowl is about 1/2 full, does it squirt gas when you step on the pedal? You should be able to see it if you remove the air cleaner and hold the choke open. If you see no squirt of gas stop -- that's a big problem and why it won't start without ether starting fluid.

i will look at the anti-deaseling valve

Look at it? That won't do anything. Listen for a click (engine OFF, key ON) when you plug/unplug the AD valve wire. It should click each time. It it does not click, unscrew the valve, pull out the pintle and screw it back on without the pintle. This will allow the engine to idle (anti-diesel valve is an idle-cut valve -- when it is not energized it cuts the idle circuit).

24348.jpg

(AD wire in lower right corner)

where can i find the carb idle circuit?

You can find it inside the carburetor. You can tell if it plugged by turning the the idle mixture screw-- after you get it running. If it makes no difference whether the screw is all the way in (turn it lightly, don't force it), or turned way out, then the circuit is plugged. Note that if you turn it too far the screw will fall out, no biggie just put it back in.

2214.jpg

Even with idle circuit plugged up, and AD valve not working, the Datsun engine should still start , and run at fast idle (1500 RPM or higher).

i hear the AD clicking. and while i cant idle to inspect the fast idle screw, its always worked for me in the past.

the bowl is approximately 1/2 full. i cant see or hear the pump squirt, im guessing it would be fairly obvious? when i started it with ether, it would respond to revving

Fast idle screw is not important here.

i cant see or hear the pump squirt

That's a problem. You won't be able to rev the engine without the accelerator pump (squirter) working. You won't be able to start it without starting fluid.

And since it won't idle, probably the idle circuit is plugged. The pump and idle circuit both have the same feed. That's what is wrong with my 1980 carburetor. Same symptoms you report. I could not fix it.

the carb hasnt run as well as i would like for some time, even before i pulled the motor. i rebuilt it a couple years ago and that didnt seem to make much of a difference. with what your saying, im starting to lean tword buying a reman carb, ive taken the carb apart so many times i just want to be done with it.

not related to the carb but now that im driving a 5 speed in my altima, i realize that i want to find a 4/5 speed swap for my datsun because its so much more fun to drive a manual. so it may have to hang out as non op for a bit longer

• 2 months later...

ready to get my car to move even if it drives like shit, today i walked outside and to see this

Wi9qc.jpg

B1Q04.jpg

yeah thats a goat on my car. i dont live in the country btw, im just off one of the busiest streets in my city. i cant seem to get ahold of my neighbor whos goats are running free all over my yard, so i want to get the car moved from under the tree so the goats arent temped to climb on it to eat from the tree. picked up a vacuum tester and a carb rebuild kit as i have a feeling the accelerator pump is gonzo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...