"relays" (?) on my 79 620

620doof

There are 3 old school looking relays on the passenger's side fender wall on my 1979 620. The one in the middle clicks constantly as I'm driving and this causes the lights to blink and my idle to surge with the clicks. Can these be bought anywhere? They're not like the relays you can grab from the parts store..

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey sorry I didn't reply sooner I didn't have internet for a bit. Sure, they are: yellow, blue, white with red, and white with green. I'll post a picture of it also

suspectrelay.th.jpg

I should also mention that this only happened after I replaced my old, bad alternator. I think I may have gotten a bad alternator from O'reillys. It charges fine and all but if I measure the voltage its only 12.5v so I guess it's not fine but just enough to keep it going. If I unplug the voltage regulator it jumps up to 15.5v. So I know the alternator can put out more than 12.5v but the reg. may be restricting it? anywho.

Also found out I have massive blow-by. No coolant in my oil and I don't burn any oil/coolant so piston ring maybe?

The '79 does not have an external voltage regulator on it. The alternator has the regulator built into it. Find out if you replaced the IR( internal regulated) with one from an earlier model that had the external regulator on the inner fender behind the battery.

The relay sounds like the auto choke heater and needs a charge from the alternator to be on. If the charge is low or weak the relay will chatter.

The '79 does not have an external voltage regulator on it. The alternator has the regulator built into it. Find out if you replaced the IR( internal regulated) with one from an earlier model that had the external regulator on the inner fender behind the battery.

The relay sounds like the auto choke heater and needs a charge from the alternator to be on. If the charge is low or weak the relay will chatter.

No it's the alternator for the 79 I know the difference between internal and externally regulated alternators. I mean if I unplug the connector that plugs into the regulator on the alternator itself the voltage will increase to around 15.5v while idling. Thank you for the info though that's probably why my choke isn't working properly either.

I think i'll go ahead and replace the alternator under warranty and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks Mike!