JESUS ANOTHER 521 PROJECT!!!!!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had done the same with my steering column but i took out 3 1/2" out of it and now my wheel is close to my knees also. may have to modify it some more or deal with it. i am running a set isuzu trooper suv low back seats from a 4 door about the size or a ford explorer suv. i was thinking about making my 521 a extra cab but time/$$$$

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually the 4 link is gonna get redone. Some more calculations and we found a little to much oversteer in the chassis. so thats next and a diff swap to a narrowed 4x4 toyota 8 inch with rear disc. We got the coilovers mocked up, but it sits pretty low, looks cool, but turning is a issue lol. I think were gonna raise up the lower mounts we kinda mis judged the ride height a litle ha ha ha. Oh well live n learn. couple pics. boarlin has more.

DSC00678.jpg

DSC00677.jpg

pic of a random weld

pulsetig.jpg

yea I undercut the corners fuck off!

2011-11-06_16-50-54_97.jpg

2011-11-06_16-51-01_849.jpg

I dont mind and i would awnser if i could remember lol. I got em used off ebay they use a 8 or 7 inch spring. we got 350lb springs and might go up in rate the 350s seem a bit soft to me but we'll see Its not being built for racing really just mainly wanted those damn torsion bars out of the way.

I like this build. Have you considered the early 80's toyota 4x4 rear axle? Still 6-lug, but not disc - although they're at least self-adjusting drums. It's only 2.5" wider than the 521 axle IIRC, and you can drop in a LSD, locker, whatever 3rd you like from other axles as late as the late 90's. That's what I picked up for mine, but still debating if I'm going to stick with leafs or try to link it.

• Like 1

I like this build. Have you considered the early 80's toyota 4x4 rear axle? Still 6-lug, but not disc - although they're at least self-adjusting drums. It's only 2.5" wider than the 521 axle IIRC, and you can drop in a LSD, locker, whatever 3rd you like from other axles as late as the late 90's. That's what I picked up for mine, but still debating if I'm going to stick with leafs or try to link it.

yea Thats what were using still has to be narrowed up to fit wms is a pretty wide. we picked up a complete one with rear discs for 200.

yea Thats what were using still has to be narrowed up to fit wms is a pretty wide. we picked up a complete one with rear discs for 200.

Do you know what the disc conversion is, or is it a later axle? wms for the early ones should only be 2.5" wider than stock, which I suppose won't work with your wheels? It looks like it will be perfect for the 16x7 +37 wheels I have.

thank you for the info.mnow i got to buy a welder and learn how to weld

I can see where you live, but if there is a local community college there. You could do a mig welding class. I think i paid around 125 dollars for a credit or something at my local college. I just went in there, told them what i wanted to learn. They taught me. I did oxy, and then stick. Didn't do mig, and should have :rofl: Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the beginning of narrowing up a toyota 4x4 axle gotta narrow it up 3 inches total 1 1/2 on each side. pics.

axle size and 30 spline

2011-11-19111918.jpg

cutting the flanges the yota diff flanges are easy to get off their is almost a machined line right where ya need to cut

2011-11-19113937.jpg

clean up face and bore i didnt get pics of them bored though

2011-11-19121839.jpg

before after

2011-11-19121954.jpg

2011-11-19124415.jpg

cutting it down no turning back now

2011-11-19140047.jpg

2011-11-19141248.jpg

Thats all for now gotta run the axles up to dutchman and have them shortened up and resplined.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...