JESUS ANOTHER 521 PROJECT!!!!!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and it gets your truck back on the road faster

Not to mention the options it opens up for you.

So many different columns.

Perhaps even a collapsible column. Safety.

Jesusno2- I love your build.

Doing some great work.

Lots of inspiration to many of us.

So many ideas!

Can't wait for the next episode.

This truck doesn't need to be on the road, so time is not a issue. We'll see what happens next might see about using a 720 tilt setup maybe that will work. the whole tilt thing is just an idea anyways. still tons of work to do and lots of money to spend. The Gm columns are way to big anyway I think, and the less chevy parts the better!

I used a 720 tilt column, you have to do some cutting to mount it on the column itself, but it works for me. I will say this, i have the tilt in two trucks, a 71 standard 521 with the stock seat and stock 720 wheel, and in my 69 521 kingcab with the stock 720 wheel and buckets, both of these vehicles have power steering, the 521 kingcab has lots of room with the bucket seats, but the stock 521 cab with the stock 720 wheel and seat is kind of cramped if I have the tilt all the way down, and I am not a big guy, but since it has power steering, a very small wheel could be used. I had a small wheel in it before the power steering, it was a bitch to turn when not moving.

DSCN0309-1.jpg

So got the steering column shortened up 3 inches feels normal now to me. the steering wheel is not up in your face. gonna get a new steering wheel for it soon. one them mods you would never know it was done really. I also should took before pics but I forgot.

IMG_20110813_170424.jpg

IMG_20110813_170433.jpg

That "built" butt connector looks like how I had it done when I did my wife's. Did you machine the ends of each shaft piece to fit tight into the connector? Just fyi for others thinking about doing this.....if you're going to use an aftermarket steering wheel....mount that on the column first. Since it's extremely hard to find a 521 adapter, you can use a 620, but there will be a big gap between the bell of the kit and the plastic surround on the column. You can compensate for this difference when you cut the shaft. For example.....cut the outer tube 3" so that the plastic doesn't hit the dash....then cut the inner shaft enough that the steering wheel adapter fits close to the plastic. Don't forget to keep the blinker shaft clearance in mind.

• Like 1

That "built" butt connector looks like how I had it done when I did my wife's. Did you machine the ends of each shaft piece to fit tight into the connector? Just fyi for others thinking about doing this.....if you're going to use an aftermarket steering wheel....mount that on the column first. Since it's extremely hard to find a 521 adapter, you can use a 620, but there will be a big gap between the bell of the kit and the plastic surround on the column. You can compensate for this difference when you cut the shaft. For example.....cut the outer tube 3" so that the plastic doesn't hit the dash....then cut the inner shaft enough that the steering wheel adapter fits close to the plastic. Don't forget to keep the blinker shaft clearance in mind.

Go Mike.

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...