pic of your dime

Icehouse

WOW you know alot about Marks old car (more than me and Troy when we bought it) getting anything from him is like pulling teeth when Troy and I went to pickit up he said a few things and thats about it the car then was sold to me because Troy needed a set of heads for his race car and then it melted 2 sets of pistons cause Mark said he ran 18 pound of boost all the time well he may have but not without problems according to Jim wolfe the computer and injectors couldnt support that amount of boost (they did the tune in the 90s) it was definitly fast but as far as spinning the tires in 3rd just coming up on boost wouldnt happen I tryed :D all though once I get the rest of the stuff done on the engine it might ...new forged pistons from JE ,750cc injectors , new turbo, O-ringed the deck and running a copper head gasket and a new ecu from a KADE that jim wolfe is going to tune hoping for good numbers. Mark Lowe did alot of custom work and the time and effort put into it is amazing I am lucky to own it and lucky to have him own/build such a cool car and am not taking credit for any work that I am not putting into the car

Clayton

That doesn't suprise me about the boost. Some more of that story has to do with the exhaust manifold. Because of the way the collector is built and the sizing on the primary tubes, the car was almost impossible to keep below 15psi. Mark is an engineer, but he said it was just a logical guess at the design and tube diameter. He was appalled at the prevalance of log manifolds these days, because their design doesn't do anything to promote quick spooling, it's just a device to hang a turbo from. Not suprised about Clark's comments at JWT, I don't think the car was ever down south for dyno testing, a lot has been learned about injector sizing and tuning in 20 years. Even then, a base tune for a Turbo FJ didn't exist, may not even now.

My brother used to go on fun runs with NorCal UFO during the late 80's when Mark was most active modifying the car. Some more memories -

-Had an injected Z22 at one time

-Ran 5 lugs and 16" rims way before Spreadbury, Lum, etc

-Car had a slick little fabricated muffler and side dump exhaust at one time

-Had manual boost control, aquarium valve of some type

That's all I got. I think Mark got bored with the car, and he got plenty busy when he bought his house. It's sort of a pisser buying someone elses car, but so what. At least it's not like you bought Smurf or Casper. Those cars are so well known that the current owners get no credit for their efforts. I bet I'm the only person in cyberspace who cruises the Datsun forums who even knew of the car. Good luck!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2eDeYe;12252']wow.....

I feel like a total newb....:cool:

Me to haha, Sounds like stories Hainz tells :D they date back to pre-birth of me haha...

Do you guys have pics of it back in the day? I would want to see :D

2eDeYe;12252']wow.....

I feel like a total newb....:cool:

Me to haha' date=' Sounds like stories Hainz tells :D they date back to pre-birth of me haha...

Do you guys have pics of it back in the day? I would want to see :D[/quote']

Ditto

Thats why Im always in here..

That doesn't suprise me about the boost. Some more of that story has to do with the exhaust manifold. Because of the way the collector is built and the sizing on the primary tubes, the car was almost impossible to keep below 15psi. Mark is an engineer, but he said it was just a logical guess at the design and tube diameter. He was appalled at the prevalance of log manifolds these days, because their design doesn't do anything to promote quick spooling, it's just a device to hang a turbo from. Not suprised about Clark's comments at JWT, I don't think the car was ever down south for dyno testing, a lot has been learned about injector sizing and tuning in 20 years. Even then, a base tune for a Turbo FJ didn't exist, may not even now.

My brother used to go on fun runs with NorCal UFO during the late 80's when Mark was most active modifying the car. Some more memories -

-Had an injected Z22 at one time

-Ran 5 lugs and 16" rims way before Spreadbury, Lum, etc

-Car had a slick little fabricated muffler and side dump exhaust at one time

-Had manual boost control, aquarium valve of some type

That's all I got. I think Mark got bored with the car, and he got plenty busy when he bought his house. It's sort of a pisser buying someone elses car, but so what. At least it's not like you bought Smurf or Casper. Those cars are so well known that the current owners get no credit for their efforts. I bet I'm the only person in cyberspace who cruises the Datsun forums who even knew of the car. Good luck!

I autocross with American auto -X and saw him run the car at mather probably 10 years ago and was impressed with the power and handling... and now I own it I feel kinda lucky well until it blew up and I have spent a boat load of money trying to get it running again but when its done it should be a kick in the pants I raced a M5 bmw on the freeway and let just say he was a little pissed that a 35 year old car just left his 50k car like it was standing still :D. its still 5 lug with 4 wheel JFZ 4 pot calipers at all corners with skyline rotors and I have the 16" TSW wheels in my garage along with the trick little muffler he made and the way to over engineered for a datsun rear wing I love that thing but to run it on the streets and freeways around the bay area...asking for some honda or something else to cause trouble and its a "HEY OFFICER LOOK AT ME!! " sign but it will go back on the car for auto-x events. the car has so many cool things about it I am still learning about somethings.

Here is our project (78) with the 1st paint on the jams, and believe me the photos do the color NO justice. It makes it look like the old metalflake but its not! Its black undercoat, silver pearl prism and clear. It really pops and people love it. it will be a one of a kind for sure. anyone else got a late model 510?

DSC02398_thumb.jpg

DSC02395_thumb.jpg

DSC02357_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres my 72. This was taken the day I brought it home about one year ago. Unfortunatley, it looks exactly the same today as it did then.After I finish the SR20 swap and then the RB swap, I'll get into this project. I picked it up for $ 100.00 from a kid in Maine ( of all places ). The interior is completley gutted but it has the stock 1600 with an auto tranny that will all be replaced with the L28 turbo motor after I swap in the RB26 into my Z.This will be a track only car since I dont have the title. The L28et dynoed at 326 whp so it will be pretty quik to say the least.:D

019_06A.jpg

wow ... all very nice, i think i like nicky the best just cause it's your dd now. i have a special place in my heart for dd's.

Well, all of those were my only daily driver for anywhere from 6 months (Charlie) to two years (Homer). ;)

did you build them yourself or buy them like that or design them or what?

All of those cars were bone stock when I got them. :D

they look like panasports.. but i could be wrong

This time at least, you are correct. They are 15x7 Panasports.

Oddly enough, I have owned sixteen 510s so far and this is my first one to ever wear the ubiquitous Panasports. :P

i assumed they were all dd's but to me they all looked too clean to assume. i also assumed you built them from stock but once again, didn't want to make an ass of myself as often i do :D. i've never been a huge fan of panasports, they're cool, but just not really my style. they look good on nicky, maybe it's the colored centers.

on a sidenote, that pic of nicky is a fine example of one of the reasons i love datsuns of all kinds. that is a normal sized 4 door car there (altima w/fn01rc's?) next to a normal 4 door 510. i know the 510 has plenty of room on the interior in the front and back seats, and yet it looks like it's only about 3/4 the size of the modern car next to it. i like little cars that are stil practical, and i've always been a huge fan of finding performance by losing weight.

One addendum, I did not build Wilmer (for the most part).

It was built by a racer named Wilmer Allman down in Houston in 1974-1975, all with BRE parts (there was a BRE/Interpart dealer in Houston at the time). It has BRE fenders and rear flares, BRE sway bars, BRE intake manifold (with dual Mikunis) and Datsun Comp header (on an L18SSS engine with a Roadster 5spd), Shadbolt .485 cam, BRE Mulholland shocks and springs, old school Moog camber plates, full roll cage, race buckets, flat steel dash with all Stewart Warner gauges, extra speedo and rally trip computer mounted inside glove box (car was used for tarmac rally as well as road racing), Simpson harnesses, Aeromotive dual fuel pumps and dual filters in the spare tire well, battery mounted in trunk in bad ass red/white/blue BRE battery box, and on and on...

Unfortunately the owner had a stroke in 1991 and parked it in his barn, covered it up, closed the door and never touched it again. Since the stroke had left him limited use of his left hand he couldn't wrench very well so when he got better he bought a red Sentra SE-R to race and never looked back.

Somehow he got my email address (long story) about two years ago and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I went down there and pulled it out of the garage and towed it home. Here's how it looked when I rolled it off the trailer at my shop...

Picture_077%7E2.jpg

The tires were dry rotted obviously, and I didn't trust the 30 year old Libres for race use so I changed the wheels out for the 15x8 wheels you see on the other photo. I put a cleaned up '69 grill on it, took off the Dobi air dam, put better seats in it and new harnesses, replaced every rubber hose on it (had to), rebuilt the carbs and tuned it up nice. Believe it or not that's the same paint job Wilmer put on it in '75, just buffed a bit by yours truly.

I raced it for a bit (it was wicked fast for an L18), but sold it to a friend who was bumming because he didn't have a running 510. I took his half finished orange 4dr 510 and some cash in trade for this car. He drove it for awhile, but eventually it didn't have enough HP for him. He has since removed the L18SSS engine and is in the midst of swapping in a rebuilt VG30E. Swap is slow going, but it'll either get done eventually or I'll end up buying it back. It's happened before... ;)

Odd that he got this car because he was overwhelmed by his project 510 and just wanted a running 510, then he turns this car from a running 510 into a big project... :P

Kinda wish I had kept it too. With an SR this thing would be awesome... :D

i've never been a huge fan of panasports, they're cool, but just not really my style. they look good on nicky, maybe it's the colored centers.

I'm not a huge fan either, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. :D

Here's the car last month on 16x7 BBS RS's. Yes, it's had 4 sets of wheels in about 7 months. :P

normal_Picture_218_small.jpg

that pic of nicky is a fine example of one of the reasons i love datsuns of all kinds. that is a normal sized 4 door car there (altima w/fn01rc's?) next to a normal 4 door 510. i know the 510 has plenty of room on the interior in the front and back seats, and yet it looks like it's only about 3/4 the size of the modern car next to it...

Versa on RAYS Gram Lights, but yeah, I totally agree. :D

Only thing the Versa has over the 510 is a bigger back seat (got two young sons, so...) and good A/C.

I can drive the Versa all day and it's like "Ehh"...

I drive the 510 for ten minutes and you can't wipe the smile off my face. :D :D :D :D :D