need an exaust, have lots of questions

Eagle_Adam

Ok, i have done some looking but i have no idea how to figure out what an exaust will sound like? i DO NOT want to end up with something that sounds like a fart can muffler!!!!! <_<

Does anybody have a video of their exhaust on their truck? I am running the stock L18, stock cam, no header.

Opinions??? and if you have already done your exhaust what did it cost you??

If anybody here knows what their doing i would be interested in getting an install by a ratsuner!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound is very subjective at best and sound on a video is worse. Avoid 'straight through' or resonator type 'mufflers' to avoid popping fart sounds. Some turbo mufflers with glass packing and baffles are good at absorbing the harsh raspy notes and mellowing the tone. I have a 2" generic muffler on my L20B with a 45 degree bend outlet dumping under the truck. You can hear the exhaust, could be louder but I don't get looks from the police, can hear my stereo and long trips are not tiring.

I think it would be cool to make your own muffler.

thanx mike, the truck is my daily so i do want to be able to hear the stereo i just put in :unsure:. I just dont wanna go to an exhaust shop and have them push me into some shitty exhaust system so they can make a quick buck.

Shops seem to push "turbo" mufflers for some reason -- probably because they are cheaap and universal.

If you want quiet exhaust, tell them you don't want a turbo muffler but want an "OEM style". And put a resonator in the system, which JDM 510s used in the upscale models. New 510s were so quiet you couldn't even hear the engine idling.

I have 2.5" turbo muffler with a stainless fibreglass-packed 'cannon' tip muffler. It is loud even though there are two mufflers.

Shops seem to push "turbo" mufflers for some reason -- probably because they are cheaap and universal.

If you want quiet exhaust, tell them you don't want a turbo muffler but want an "OEM style". And put a resonator in the system, which JDM 510s used in the upscale models. New 510s were so quiet you couldn't even hear the engine idling.

I have 2.5" turbo muffler with a stainless fibreglass-packed 'cannon' tip muffler. It is loud even though there are two mufflers.

They push them because they work.Quiet idle ,yet they bark when you put your foot into it.Resonators do nothing but interrupt flow.

You can always try this:

exhaust-1.jpg

Turbo mufflers don't have a quiet idle compared to the original Nissan muffler (or even OEM replacement types). Compared to glass packs or other performance types you could call it quiet, certinaly compared to a Brap Can a turbo is quiet.

True.But original mufflers are long gone.I have a Walker Super turbo on the 620.If it weren't for the cam,you(or anyone else) wouldn't notice it idling.

Actually resonators can improve sound and improve flow. If you spray paint on your exhaust the first time it's installed, run it, and watch the paint. The first spot that the paint boils up on (the hottest part of your tubing) is where the resonator should be placed. Since it gets so hot there having a spot where the exhaust can expand out will create a vacuum to improve flow AND sound. Resonators on exhaust are key for a nice sound.

I recently replaced mine with a Cherry Bomb for $36.99 at Autozone it's pretty quiet at idle and has a nice deep note to it I think it sound pretty mean and not as annoying as a lot of these guys running around with annoying farts coming out of there tailpipes. Sorry no video but as mentioned before it really wouldn't do it justice anyway.