My new 521 w/Perris valley camper shell

Roger

Wayno is going to post the pictures of my 521 to this thread. Thanks Wayne!

So I've been searching for 6 months or more on searchtempest for a good 521 w/ ortighinal paint. I found it in Medford Oregon. I don't have it yet, but the shipper has it and will deliver it in a few days. Natonal transportation LLC is their name. It cost $1250 to ship it from Medford Oregon to Maryland. I tried Uship but got a bunch of clowns responding to my ad for a shipper.

That said, let me tell you all about the truck: It is in excellent original shape. The first owner had it up to 1999. the guy cried when he signed the title. He and his wife used it to camp all over the NW, including Alaska. It has 170K miles on it. It was always garaged, and looks it. The 521 waws bought from Stevens Motors in Central Oregon with a dealer installed Perris Valley Camper. There was no taiklgate, as the camper takes the place of a tailgate. I need to get one. I understand a auto restorerr can match the faded original paint perfectly.

The second owner had it for a couple of years and blew a head gasket. The had the entire motor rebuilt but did not install it in the truck. It sat for a couple of years, and then he GAVE it to a friend whlo had just returned from Alaska..

The third owner put $2500 in it to repair the truck and install the engine. Were talking about new king pins, etc. He sold it to the fourth owner who kept it for about a year. the king pins needed replacing agian an dhe did additional work.

The fifth owner swapped out the OEM wheels and poverty caps for chrome wheels. They look good , but I want the old wheels and caps back. It has a Sony CD.

This owner sold it to the sixth owner who sold it to the people I bought it from. they replaced sonme steering parts, including thbe steering box. they also put a brand new battery in it and new tires, brakes and more.

It's mine now.

I want to keep it stock but maybe an sd 22 OR 25. 4 wheel discs, Vintage Air AC.

The camper is pretty cool. JIt is a 1971, too. It has never bveen off the truck for more than a few days total.

It cost me $2000 + shipping ?All the original paper work and repair receipts came with it, which is how I pieced the history together. I called each past owner.

Thanks again Wayne for posting the pics. Roger

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayno! That paint is original. Check out that dash! I found a place that can vacuum form a uv resistant cover over it. This truck was always garaged, but the sun will crack that dash sure as it rises every morning. I want to swap ouit those wheels for OEM and poverty caps. That sear is supposed to be in good condition. I don't care for that rear bumper. Does anyone remember step bumpers from the early 70's for Datsuns that had the word "Texas" something- or- other engraved in it?? I want one of those.

I think that is an original fuel pump. What parts should I have on hand and carry in the truck? Fuel pump rebuilding kit? fan belt? Anything else that I might need that could break and I might be able to fix on the side of the road to keep goin'?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...