Which repair manuals are good?

Roger

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the opposite belief- Chiltons are overgeneralized junk, the Haynes are OK. Not as good as the factory manual. Anything after the 1980s is virtually useless though as too much changes year to year. The older the book (and the vehicle) the better it gets, USUALLY.

HOWEVER... the Haynes 510/521 manual is one of the worst ones for the 521, because it's almost entirely 510 specific. I've never actually found a good 521 manual other than the factory one and that gives no simplification hints. The Chiltons is even worse, as depending on the version it has every truck model from the 521 through Hardbody in it.

I have the opposite belief- Chiltons are overgeneralized junk, the Haynes are OK. Not as good as the factory manual. Anything after the 1980s is virtually useless though as too much changes year to year. The older the book (and the vehicle) the better it gets, USUALLY.

HOWEVER... the Haynes 510/521 manual is one of the worst ones for the 521, because it's almost entirely 510 specific. I've never actually found a good 521 manual other than the factory one and that gives no simplification hints. The Chiltons is even worse, as depending on the version it has every truck model from the 521 through Hardbody in it.

You are right on the 510/521 book. I have one of them haha. Guess to each his own on opinion, ive never really had a problem with haynes. i guess different books have different info, each has their ups n downs.

I just bought a used "How to keep your Datsun or Nissan alive for the complete idiot." They are expensive! The cheapest one on amazon was $30. The best was $155. I think it is a John Muir publication.

I had one for my Toyota and lived it. It gave low cost and practical solutions to repairs that were outlined as a R&R in other manuels. Lots of humor and interesting stuff was included. I liked the drawings. Can't wait to get it

I just bought a used "How to keep your Datsun or Nissan alive for the complete idiot." They are expensive! The cheapest one on amazon was $30. The best was $155. I think it is a John Muir publication.

That's a great book, I am blessed that my truck came with it. The author actually lives here in NM less than 40 miles from my house.

I also got the Haynes and Chiltons I rarely look at them but How to Keep Your Datsun Alive is great.

Guest DatsuNoob

I have the Clymer Publications service / repair handbook. Seems to be ok. There is a lot of 510 stuff in there though.

I have the Haynes and Clymer manuals for the 620 and I have got to say I was WAY more impressed with the in depth detail found in the Clymer. It's alot thicker than the Haynes too. My G-pa hooked it up! :thumbup:

There would be a lot fewer n00b posts if everyone consulted the "How to Keep Your Datsun Alive" book first. Even though it's mostly L/Z motor related, the basics are covered in easy to understand words and pics that you can apply to all things automotive.

Highly recommended. :thumbup:

Pete

Got a Clymers on the way, too. My 521 is due to be picked up(finally) on March 21 and delivered in Maryland on March 31. Woo Hoo! Need 4 original wheels and 4 hubcaps--all in very good condition. I can trade some not too old, nice chrome wheels(very good condition having spent their life in Oregon) that are currently on it. I'm in Maryland so you pay shipping for yours, and I pay it for mine. I got a pic of them.