Yet another new guy

Barber Phil

A couple of months ago I happened upon this 71 521. The price was right. The body is fairly strait, but even to this point It has been alot of work. The guy that had it before me hacked it up pretty badly. When I got it the Front shock mounts were missing the battery box was gone. the gas filler neck was cut down like 7 inches so it doesnt reach the filler door. All of the bed bolts are missing. Nothing on the engine was wired in. No seats. needless to say its been a project and It stil has a long way to go.

So far I have welded in new front shock mounts and put shocks on, built a new battery box, wired in the battery alternator and starter and everything else that was missing. Replaced the timing cover and water pump. New radiator hoses all new coolant. pretty much all new everything on the brakes. Got some bucket seats out of an 80s honda from a junk yard in good shape got those put in. also replaced the terrible looking wheels on it with some stock hardbody steel wheels with a better offset and painted them. Adjusted the valves in the motor and added a webber carb. There is alot more done and to go still just wanted to introduce myself and post a picture hopefully will get some more photos up soon.

truck2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The wheels may be off something else I pulled them off of a hardbody at the junkyard. I just wanted somthing with that offset. The engine is the stock L16 and it has been lowered 3 int eh front and rear so far I want to take it a little lower but still trying to get it road worthy at this point. Have driven it a couple of time around the block should pretty much have her on the road by this weekend just finishing up some ods and ends stuff. Should have some more OICs up by next week.

• 1 month later...

So I finally took her our for her maiden voyage. Drove about 5 miles today down to the gas station. Its the first time she has been on the road since I got her. Pretty great feeling. She drives pretty nice. runs great especially after all the work. her are a few oics I took while she was in the driveway today. Everything I have done was home made or was something me or my brother had laying around in the garage.Other than a few little things like a window and an alternator. Kind of a rat rod project.

051311143356.jpg

051311143408.jpg

051311143438.jpg

051311143454.jpg

051311143517.jpg

051311143542.jpg

051311143559.jpg

051311143311.jpg

051311143234.jpg

Welcome, truck looks sick. Sounds like you have some mad skizles regarding automotive systems, I'm impressed. I myself am a hazard in the garage and am learning as I go. I can't help noticing you covered your license plate and am curius to why you did. I assume you don't drive around or even park the truck with the plates covered, so why when on the internet would one find the need to obscure their plate number? I'm not trying to be funny I really want to learn, as I post my plate number all the time. Again welcome.