Matt's 521

thisismatt

P1000198.jpg

IF I'm seeing this right and understanding the question, that's the way it is.

There is that lower body line bend added at the lower edge of the tailgate from the factory.

I'm in the process of a smooth gate and deleted that body line that doesn't match anything on the side of the body.

That and I shaved the tailgate lettering, latches,,bed hooks, and gas door.

It's just kinda out there as far as lining up with anything and I didn't much care for it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IF I'm seeing this right and understanding the question, that's the way it is.

There is that lower body line bend added at the lower edge of the tailgate from the factory.

I'm in the process of a smooth gate and deleted that body line that doesn't match anything on the side of the body.

That and I shaved the tailgate lettering, latches,,bed hooks, and gas door.

It's just kinda out there as far as lining up with anything and I didn't much care for it.

So even on a perfect condition tailgate & bed, that lower body line causes the tailgate to flare out at the bottom? That's lame! But in other/better news...

NOS wing window seals and superseded NOS door squeegees! I have some others on the way as well...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

P1000221.jpg

• Like 2

AMG where did you find the door squeegees and the seals for wingwindows? I cant wash my truck b/c of all the leaks :(

I'll release my source as soon as I've acquired all the seals I've ordered :) Self preservation, that's all...I don't want to be short something and then have my only sources dry up ;)

WHEELS.

GO .

ON.

NOW !!!!!

:|

Duuuuude, gotta hold off a little for the paychecks to come in. I did, however, pick up a Toyota 6 lug axle today for $60. 2.5" wider = no spacers required on the rear, pluuuusssss self adjusting rear drums = no more manual rear drum adjustment, pluuuuuuuusssss torsional LSD or detroit locker availability for a reasonable price (~$400). Only issue that I know of is that it supposedly has a welded carrier which I don't want to run, and it's supposedly 3.73 gears, which might be a little tall for the L16 w/4 speed. On the other hand, it would be perfect with my VQ 6 speed... hmmm :frantics:
  • Like 1

P1000198.jpg

So i seen this the other day and then went out, and looked at the truck i have and it looks very much like your picture ( but it`s kinda a pos ). Soooo i was over at friends house today and his truck is very looow mile, almost perfect specimen and it does that weird overhang thing also..I think 2 other people have answered the question but there is no way the truck i looked at today has ever had any damage.

• Like 1

Huh...thanks for reaffirming that info. I think if I repair this tailgate that I might try to give it more of a curve to match the tail corners, since I'll have to separate it from its frame to repair some of the dents.

Sorry to muddy the waters again, but I don't think mine does that. I'll double check maybe on Sunday...I'm using someone else's space to work on it.

IMG_2497%20%28Large%29.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry to muddy the waters again, but I don't think mine does that. I'll double check maybe on Sunday...I'm using someone else's space to work on it.

IMG_2497%20%28Large%29.JPG

It looks like it used to overhang, and now its dented in :rofl:

• Like 2

Dont know how I haven't seen this yet! Gah I love it! If you need any parts locally, call Mark at C@S Automotive, he has a customer trying to get rid of 8 521's. A few run, they are complete. Can't wait to see this truck in person. I'll keep my eye out!

• Like 1

Dont know how I haven't seen this yet! Gah I love it! If you need any parts locally, call Mark at C@S Automotive, he has a customer trying to get rid of 8 521's. A few run, they are complete. Can't wait to see this truck in person. I'll keep my eye out!

That's weird - I might have run into that guy the other day at Sears. He was driving a kind of beat 521 with a bed full of trash (looked like it had been there forever), and he said he had a bunch more, but he didn't sound interested in selling...I gave him my name/number/email. Struck me as kind of a weird guy...
  • Like 1

Haha, Typical Datsun guy. I know there are a few here in town. Theres a flatbed one that parks on Haley St. Autoside a body shop during the week. I think its day dreaming. Then another one being restored at Anacapa Auto body. Oh being a datsun addict in a small town :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Haha, Typical Datsun guy. I know there are a few here in town. Theres a flatbed one that parks on Haley St. Autoside a body shop during the week. I think its day dreaming. Then another one being restored at Anacapa Auto body. Oh being a datsun addict in a small town :rolleyes:

Seen this guy? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Santa+Barbara,+California&t=h&layer=c&cbll=34.426434,-119.716377&panoid=1UAlreUpgUwawjG442h7zQ&cbp=12,348.95,,1,12.29&ll=34.426505,-119.716473&spn=0.002051,0.004128&z=19
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Haven't done much to the truck other than drive it. I drive it a couple times a week :) Last weekend I picked up a non-running 69 for parts, but I had to stow it at my mom's place.

695211.jpg

695212.jpg

695213.jpg

Also got a yota rear axle to rebuild and an LSD 3rd to put into it. I need to find some spring perches that will work with the narrow datto leafs and ~2.5" toyota axle diameter...

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

So...not much to update here.  I did do an IR alternator swap into it a while back using an Eagle Talon alt.  Works well.  Last week I ran out of gas on a super busy street with no shoulders...DOH.  That sucked...super embarrassing as I pushed it 3-4 blocks to the gas station during rush hour traffic.

That said, it reminded me of something that has always bothered me a little bit.  When running, my fuel filters never fill very full of fuel - is that normal?  I have one of those glass serviceable filters in line before a regular paper/plastic filter and neither of them fill much above 1/4 of the way.  I put the glass one in when the fuel filler neck was disintegrating and clogging up the paper filter, which I've since replaced shortly after I got the truck.

• Like 2

So...not much to update here.  I did do an IR alternator swap into it a while back using an Eagle Talon alt.  Works well.  Last week I ran out of gas on a super busy street with no shoulders...DOH.  That sucked...super embarrassing as I pushed it 3-4 blocks to the gas station during rush hour traffic.

That said, it reminded me of something that has always bothered me a little bit.  When running, my fuel filters never fill very full of fuel - is that normal?  I have one of those glass serviceable filters in line before a regular paper/plastic filter and neither of them fill much above 1/4 of the way.  I put the glass one in when the fuel filler neck was disintegrating and clogging up the paper filter, which I've since replaced shortly after I got the truck.

Yes that is normal to have bubbles or air per say in the filter.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Whelp.  In the last week I did new cap, rotor, wires, new fuel filter, and cleaned out the carb a bit and reattached choke linkage that had come off inside the carb.  Today I swapped in a new ujoint at the axle, changed the oil, and changed the transmission fluid.  Yesterday I replaced the passenger window felt and then changed the valve cover gasket and adjusted the valves...my exhaust valve adjustments are all pretty much maxed out, or close to it...so I take it I have a bunch of sunk valves?  pfft...long overdue for a motor swap...

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read through the post. Nice truck and good drive down the west side. Atlas it was south and all down hill!! JK. Like the wheels! Especially like the old range as a work bench! That is awesome. If you used it for baking powered coating on, it would be even cooler!!

• Like 1