Help....with switches....I'm a jackass

Llittle_Llama

So I went to the JY again today and got some goodies, or so I thought. I picked up 6 (might be 5 now) window switches out of a jag to use for my bag switches. The wire is a nice heavy gauge and there low profile. Being as I have to get my truck to pass inspection I figured I would use one of them for my turn signal switch for a day just to pass and when I find something better at the JY I'd swap it out. Here in lies the problem, they're are 4 wires coming from this thing. Straight black (ground I assume), red with silver stripe (power I assume), red with green stripe (either up or down, this one is also a thicker gauge) and green with red stripe (same as last). Now I grounded the black and gave the red power and the flasher started working, I pressed the switch up and it didn't stop, I pressed it down and it did. I tried a few more things and eventually burned the frack out of my finger (cauterizing the wound at the same time conveniently) and filling the cab with enough smoke to make the neighbors think I was half of the cheech and chong duo. Being as I'm a big pussy and apparently wasn't paying attention and fucked up my finger really bad I'm going to ask for help instead of going back out there (plus the mosquitoes are bad and it's cold as shit). I assume that if I swap the ground and power it will work as I expect it to, meaning I thought it sent power to the window motor but instead it sends a ground so it's on when I think off and off when I think on. Let me know if I'm on the right track, and no just posting up "Yep, your a jackass. DERF!" does not constitute an answer and only further prove that you like fat chicks. Also the switch has 6 plugs on the back and 8 slots. 3 for each side and after plugging in the plug it looks like the red and silver go into the plug then it loops out to the top of the plug, there is the black wire which does the same thing and then the 2 larger gauge wires that sorta match only come out and no loops. Thanks for the help in advance guys!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you seriously just go raid a jaguar, then come here and ask how to wire it in "Jerry rigged" to your datsun?

You shouldn't have kids, and i mean that.

Jaguar cars have a lot of wiring, and is a little complicated. why dont you just temp hook up the wires from the switch to something simple, and test it, see what it does in what position. 4 wires isn't that hard to figure out.

• Like 2

Being as I have to get my truck to pass inspection I figured I would use one of them for my turn signal switch for a day just to pass and when I find something better at the JY I'd swap it out.

W in TF?

This is the 620 you cut all the wiring and harnesses from because you said they weren't needed, and I think I said leave that shit alone, right? Now you're back trying to get the signals working? Cummmmon!

It is hard to know what that switch is supposed to do. It would be a lot easier to go grab a 3 position toggle switch from the parts store that you know exactly what it's doing than try to figure out what some crazy dude in Europe did to that switch. A toggle switch wouldnlt have to be momentary like that switch from the jag is either. New switch costs 6 bucks and will save you from possible further injury and damage.

It is hard to know what that switch is supposed to do. It would be a lot easier to go grab a 3 position toggle switch from the parts store that you know exactly what it's doing than try to figure out what some crazy dude in Europe did to that switch. A toggle switch wouldnlt have to be momentary like that switch from the jag is either. New switch costs 6 bucks and will save you from possible further injury and damage.

Nothing can save himself, from himself however. :no: :blink:

Nothing can save himself, from himself however. :no: :blink:

I see that he did cause this problem be removing the wires to the lights?? I will assume you are right hopefully he heads in the right direction before more than a finger gets burnt. Maybe he needs a chaperone

I had no idea the jag stuff was different, I just thought a switch was a switch, and yes mike you DID tell me to leave shit alone, like a jackass I pulled it out, pissed on it and lit it on fire... If I could go back in time I would kick my own ass for that. Help me get this thing back to what it was please :unsure:

Jaguar wireing is junk!! Even if you wire up these switchs thay wont last and you will have to replace them. I have a 76 jag XJ6 with a 350 Chevy that runs great but nothing works right lights, windows, wipers, radio,ect,ect get different switchs.

Dmbshitter, a switch really is just a switch... But do you see a lot of jaguar talk on a datsun forum? Probably nobody here knows what color wire does what, s why i told you to just hook it up to something and keep testing it out till you find what wire goes where. with only 4 wires on that one switch, it can't be hard to figure it out...

Dmbshitter, a switch really is just a switch... But do you see a lot of jaguar talk on a datsun forum? Probably nobody here knows what color wire does what, s why i told you to just hook it up to something and keep testing it out till you find what wire goes where. with only 4 wires on that one switch, it can't be hard to figure it out...

That's exactly what I thought, I'm going to figure it out just so I can post it up, but the switches are going in the trash after that. I have a 10 switch or 12 switch box already and I only need 2 so the rest can be used for whatever. I really am sorry for all the BS I'm going to be asking over the next few weeks but I really fucked up when I had this truck last. Please help me get it fixed so I can move on to more enjoyable things....like cruisin the datto

Jaguar wireing is junk!! Even if you wire up these switchs thay wont last and you will have to replace them. I have a 76 jag XJ6 with a 350 Chevy that runs great but nothing works right lights, windows, wipers, radio,ect,ect get different switchs.

You know I was thinking just the opposite, I was thinking expensive Ford car=great parts, but I totally forgot the older ones were shit, and by remembered I mean you just told me. Are they still just as bad since the buyout or have they gotten any better?

you could put up a want ad for a new wiring harness... Install that, be done. might have a few bugs to work out but shouldn't be bad.

I would but the tails are working fine, just need a switch and I just have to connect the front turns to that and I'm done. I wouldn't have said anything if it weren't for the fact these simple ass switches had me so confused.

Man... Post up in the wanted section for a correct year (1979... 78 might work too...) wiring harness and turn signal switch. Specify that it be unhacked/chopped/modded (theyre out there still...) Wait till one pops up, buy it, rip your dash out and install it so that it looks as close to factory as possible (might take a couple tries but its not rocket science) DO NOT cut or modify it...

When youre done wiring all the factory stuff up, run your switches, stereo, and aftermarket electronic devices off of relays that ARE NOT ran through the factory harness. It will be easy to fix and easy to trouble shoot, and if something doesnt work, it wont take out the rest of the electrical system.

Seriously, its cool when shit works and even cooler when it works right. In the long run it will probably save you money to put it back to stock too...

i dont get why you just dont buy another complete stock harness...

whats the fucking point in dickin around with something so simple for SOO long...

seriously, your bashing your head against a wall with this truck..

fuck.... im am no longer going to read your posts... nothin but pure dumbassery... sorry. its just the truth.

Here is how to wire a on-off-on momentary contact DPDT switch to reverse an electric motor.

The motor cannot have a grounded frame, it has to be isolated.

A DPDT switch will have six terminals. A momentary contact switch will spring back to the middle off position.

Switch1.jpg

You move the switch one way, and the blue wire for the motor gets connected to battery plus, and the green wire gets connected to ground, and the motor runs one way.

Move the switch the other way, and the battery plus gets connected the the green wire, and the blue wire gets connected to ground, and the motor runs the other way.

If you mount this switch in a door, you must run the ground wire out to the frame of the car. Do not depend on the door hinges to ground the door, and the window motor. You should also put a fuse in the battery plus lead.