About to get a Roadster

beebeecivic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car has a lot of extra motor parts. Im jus scared that down the road the susp starts falling apart and i wouldnt know what to do wit it :(

That kind of comment sounds like you shouldn't buy it or any vehicle that scares you. But if you're still thinking of buying a roadster...

First thing you should do is spend some time educating yourself about roadsters on the 311s.org forums and TechWiki.

Almost every roadster owner will tell you the same thing; buy the most complete vehicle you can. $500 is no bargain if it takes thousands to get it on the road. Case in point...

In 2004, I passed on a '66 1600 that was 90-percent complete (rebuilt engine, running, new chrome, etc) because it had a cracked windshield and I didn't like the color. I reconsidered the next day, but the car was already sold. A few months later I bought a '66 1600 for $2500 plus another $500 to ship it. I thought I was getting a driver that needed work. What I got was a barely running project. I've put maybe 200 miles on it and over $1000 into it since then....and it still isn't on the road.

You could also ask a roadster person to help check out the car for/with you. Tons of roadster folks in SoCal.

Pete

Hey guys, I have been looking for a roadster for a long time.. i always loved it and always looked for one.. well the time came.. but it got me thinking.. how hard is it for me to find parts? Share your experiences

Thank you!

Best thing I can tell you is figure out how much you are willing to invest in the car, total. Find a complete running car in that price range. Depending on the season and luck of the draw, $3000.00 to $5000.00 gets you on the road and running. 1600's are easier and cheaper to maintain the engine. If you can find one from someone who participates in the community, either here, 311's.org, SOCALROC (Roadster Club) etc.

Best thing I can tell you is figure out how much you are willing to invest in the car, total. Unless you really want a basket case project, find a complete running car in that price range. Depending on the season and luck of the draw, $3000.00 to $5000.00 gets you on the road and running. 1600's are generally easier and cheaper to maintain the engine and will cost less to buy. If you can find one from someone who participates in the community, either here, 311's.org, SOCALROC (Roadster Club) etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a '70 1600 roadster for $100 no joke! it belonged to another NAPA driver,& he'd lost his storage/interest in working on it. It's pretty rough,probably what most would consider a "parts car" but i'm going to give fixing it a try. I hope you have as good of luck finding one.

• 3 weeks later...

Long as you aren't going for a restore job you will be fine on budget. I bought my 69 1600 for 400 dollars, total spent to get it almost completely road ready was 1600 dollars ironicly.. Ready for paint now and have all the parts I need to drive it legally, but mine is going to stay gutted on the interior run racing seats, and be a general death trap besides upgraded brakes.

Though the roadster has *no* aftermarket anymore, any major performance mods are homegrown. So DIYers are best.

• 9 months later...

Buy the car. If you don't you will regret it. I didn't read through all the replies but for under $500.00 bucks? You cant buy anything for under $500.00. Look at it this way. If you buy the car you can put it in the garage or your backyard. When a more solid and running, driving roadster comes along you got yourself a complete parts car in your backyard. to be honest you can always part it out and get your money back. The motors/tranny, rearend, glass, steering wheel, and lots of other items on the car are always worth something. Buy the damn car.