New guy here

Elkie

Let me start by saying all the information on this site is really helpful, been reading it for a while, but recently picked up a 521 and figured I'd post it up. I've had a 240sx for almost a decade now, and always wanted an older datsun. This one popped up on craigslist, it isn't perfect, but its in great shape for a 40 year old pickup in the midwest. Has the L16, but came with an l20b and unknown transmission. Although the ka24e with tranny on craigs for $150 has me leaning towards a different swap. On to the oic's.

P1010270.jpg

P1010271.jpg

and the unknown tranny, its got 7Y08278 stamped on top of the bell. Gonna try and figure out what it is.

P1010272.jpg

I'll get some better ones later, maybe outside the garage even.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F4W71B 4 speed. Could be from a 620 truck or 280z Perhaps an 810 and could be as old as '73/'74.The only thing I can tell you is that the tranny was manufactured in the month of November. Nissan didn't ID their standards by year because if in for repairs you could simply look at the build date on the door jam.Determining the year is a matter of looking at external changes and switch locations and telling what it isn't more than what it is.

Shoot the tailstock on the passenger side.

This 4 spd will bolt up tp the motor you have but the tranny mount will need to be cut and welded, drive shaft shortened and some minor mods to the bolt in spline on the transmission that is in it now. Oh and a longer speedometer.

If the stock tranny works there is no advantage to doing this now.

Thanks, at least I know I'd need to source a 5 speed now. Yeah 4 speed in it now works great so I see no reason to swap it really. The owner didn't know much about the spare engine, age or anything like that. One other question, if I can get that compressor rehooked up to the dash unit, I heard that the new freon stuff eats the seals, anyone had experience?

Kansas has no emissions, but yeah I'll prob get into it at some point.

Ok snapped a few more first is the L20B.

P1010273.jpg

P1010274.jpg

Can you take a few Oics. of the AC unit in the cab of your 521, is it stock? I have never seen a stock 521 AC package before. Nice truck. Welcome to ratsun. wayno

Its not actually mounted up atm, but I held it up and took a few oics. Made by ara, like the 510's I've seen. Matches up perfectly to the dash, so I'm pretty sure it was dealer installed. Air and temp controls, as well as cigarette lighter and extra(?) hazard switch.

P1010275.jpg

Right heater knob fully back, left fully forward.

P1010276.jpg

And thanks for all the welcomes!

Its not actually mounted up atm, but I held it up and took a few oics. Made by ara, like the 510's I've seen. Matches up perfectly to the dash, so I'm pretty sure it was dealer installed. Air and temp controls, as well as cigarette lighter and extra(?) hazard switch.

P1010275.jpg

Right heater knob fully back, left fully forward.

P1010276.jpg

And thanks for all the welcomes!

You don't have an extra hazard switch...On the dash itself...On the right-top one is your heater. Bottom one is your choke. The hazard switch is below the dash. You just have the wrong knobs on it. At least that is where all of mine are located. Guess they all could've been moved around...but one of them is the choke cable...who knows?

Tore into it a lil bit Sunday. Looks like the choke has been deleted. Has an L20B carb being used. Also the brakes went out on Sunday, so I'll have to figure out where the leak is, cause the mc is bone dry. And theres an oil cooler mounted in frount of the radiator that not connected to anything.