Why 280zx struts?

DottiBlue

Why does everyone change out to the 280zx struts? Why not stay with the stock 510 struts and get the Troy Ermish or T3 coil over setup and the Troy Ermish brake kit. Are people doing it because its a cheaper way to get better brakes? I've been looking through the forum and have not seen an answer to this, other than that everyone does the conversion. Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

same here for me. it was almost for free for me to get the zx conversion and getting repair parts is very easy or easier. i read somewhere you have to keep up maintenance on wilwood calipers as they don't use dust boots around the pistons but not sure just what I have read.

Yep. Same here. Wilwood's are nice but at $750 for the fronts, you can buy the ZX struts and convert them to coil overs for under $500. The ZX struts are shorter too so you get to lower the car too.

The 280ZX weighed in at around 2900 pounds. The 510 is around 2100 pounds.

So if the ZX brakes can stop a 2900 pound car, they can certainly stop a 2100 pound car.

• Like 3

The spindle and bearing is larger on the zx strut. Larger vented rotor and monster caliper. Cheap and 10 years newer. Strut damper valves are likely larger and/or set for damping a much heavier car and will stiffen the ride.

• Like 2

Got all my information from Dimequarterly. Very happy with this set up all under $500. Big HP needs big Brake power. The stock 510 front brakes is good for a L16 to L20 street use but for canyon run bigger brakes is safer. :thumbup:

Using 280ZX Front Struts and Calipers/Rotors...

The current "popular" brake swap for improving the 510's braking is to install the front disk brakes from a 280zx (79-83). This is a fairly straight forward swap, with only a small modification required. The parts needed for this swap are:

280ZX Strut units 280ZX Rotor and Hub 280ZX Front brake calipers 280ZX Master Cylinder Bumpsteer spacers (Optional - needed if your car is lowered more than an inch) This swap is almost a "bolt-in" solution. The 280zx used a wider spring than the 510. The solution to this problems is to remove the spring perch from the 280ZX strut and have the stock 510 spring perch welded-in. This also allows you to alter the front-end ride height by re-installing the 510 perches higher or lower than where the 280zx strut perches were. You may also choose to use coil-over springs instead of the 510 perch/spring combo, but you'll still need to remove the 280zx strut perch. FYI: I paid around $75 to have some spare 510 strut perches installed onto the 280zx strut unit.

Once the spring perch has been dealt with, this swap is basically bolt-in. (i.e. remove the stock 510 strut units and replace with the modified 280zx strut units.) If you choose, you can continue to use the 510's stock (13/16") master cylinder, just remember that your brake pedal will have a shorter travel distance and a stiffer feel. To remedy this situation, you can either install a power brake booster (from a 610 or B210) or install the 280ZX (15/16") Master Cylinder. I choose to install both.

<a name="#280zx">A thing to consider before doing this swap is the fact the rotors are much larger the the stock 510 and the stock steel wheels and many 13" wheels will no longer fit over the rotor/caliper combo. My 13x7 ARE Alloy wheels just barely clear the calipers. For my spare tire, i'm running a 16" spare from a mid-eighties 200SX.

• Like 4

The spindle and bearing is larger on the zx strut. Larger vented rotor and monster caliper. Cheap and 10 years newer. Strut damper valves are likely larger and/or set for damping a much heavier car and will stiffen the ride.

Datzenmike is 100 percent correct.

Nice, sounds like a must, I am most of the way through a KA24e swap I'm doing on a dime I saved that was roting in Vacaville a couple years back. I have never driven the car, as I bought it with a blown motor and some rear end crash damage. I know, I know. I'm taking along time, two and a half years and counting, but it will be done someday, hopefully sooner than later. Thanks for the help. I think I may have found a set for sale on craigslist, guys might be parting out his 280zx.

• 5 weeks later...

I have 810 struts on mine. I got them a long time ago from Dan Hart here in Vancouver, are they the same as the 280zx?

Not exactly the same but very close is my bet. I have Maxima struts and the rotor is a smidgen smaller and different calipers but the rest is likely the same. The 810/Max is built on the zx platform. Very basically a different body on a zx car. Lots of the suspension and parts will swap.

Can a guy just buy new 280zx struts, disc, and caliper? I don't live that close to a wrecking yard and would rather just buy new stuff if i can.

You can get rotors of course, and calipers can be found rebuilt from pretty much any autoparts store/supplier, as well as new bearings and seals. You won't likely be able to find the actual strut tube/spindle or hub new or rebuilt, but only off a donor vehicle, and as long as they haven't been in an accident or had the bearings seized up/spun, then they really aren't a wear item and are good to go (just install new bearings & races, and new seals). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - they may still be offered new from Nissan, but I haven't looked into it and doubt that they would be.

FYI, the bumpsteer spacers are not "mandatory" as stated above. People say that because there is often caliper and tie rod interference when the car is lowered, and/or your pads are worn down past halfway.

If you swap the struts (left on right, right on left) it puts the calipers in the front instead of the rear. Then no more interference.

Of course, bumpsteer spacers are still a welcome addition. :)

• 2 months later...

sorry for givin your thread the ol' reach around but I cant tell the diff or know what to look for, I think these are 280z struts? They wont work becouse spindle angle? I took them off a five ten thinking they where zx struts maybe there modded 510? 2011-06-12101020.jpg

2011-06-12101046.jpg

I have plenty more pics if needed2011-06-12101006.jpg

sorry for givin your thread the ol' reach around but I cant tell the diff or know what to look for, I think these are 280z struts? They wont work becouse spindle angle? I took them off a five ten thinking they where zx struts maybe there modded 510? 2011-06-12101020.jpg

2011-06-12101046.jpg

I have plenty more pics if needed2011-06-12101006.jpg

If im on track then zx struts fit 510s and b210s so if these are 510 struts I could use them on the sunny? And still run 13" wheels <_< :mellow: :huh:

Please help! IVE GOT CHEEEESEBURGERS!

Those look like 710 struts, or at least 710 hubs and rotors. They're not 280zx hubs/rotors because zx have vented rotors and don't have those recessed rotor bolt holes on the face of the hub. They're not 510 stock hubs because stock 510 hubs are not round, they look more like a plus (+) sign. The main key to any of them interchanging is the steering knuckle bolt pattern (those two loose bolts on the bottom of the strut tube in your pictures) and the cup that fits around the boss on the steering knuckle. If those fit then they can be easily swapped. Otherwise you start running into different ball joint tapers, different tie rod joints, etc.

Then it's a matter of the hub offset, steering knuckle offset, spindle angle, etc as to whether or not it will change your track width and camber, but those things can be corrected/adjusted via different/adjustable lower control arms, wheel spacers, camber plates, etc.