I've been thinking...

kiznook

and we know what that leads to!!

today i heard the KA24e called a truck motor, no big deal right, every other dumbass says that. In this particular case the comparison was KA24e v. KA24de ... now this is wierd, because if you're going to call the KA a "truck motor" wouldn't that include both single and dual cam?

here's the part where I got to thinking:

1989 240sx (car) was introduced powered by KA24e

1990 D21 pickups became powered by KA24e

1991 240sx now powered by KA24de

1998 D22 pickups introduced powered be KA24de

and how many different model "trucks" were powered by the ka? how many cars?

THINK ABOUT THAT!! i'll just stick to my frankenstien!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At one time there was a difference. I'm not POSITIVE but what I heard was the TRUCK KA24e was built in Mexico, whereas the Car KA24e was built in Japan.

However, it's the CAR "e" that had the tensioner/guide rail problems (plastic rails that would break off and cause the chain to flop/wear through the timing cover). I only heard about that problem with the '89-90 240SX, never with the trucks. I've seen a '90 240SX with the aftermath of those timing chain problems.

Plus you aren't counting the FWD KA used in the Altima.

yes the trucks have mexican blocks, stronger casting. The 240sx's have japan blocks with a big goofy main bearing girdle. The trucks actually do have the same timing trouble, i guess you just don't hear about it as often, cause the truck guys know it's a good engine.

really including stanza, altima, (axxess vans?) and 240, they were used in more cars than trucks :P

I think people like to insult an engine that won't rev as high as they'd like it to and call it a "truck motor".

I've heard the same with the VG because it was used in the Hardbody as well. oh, and even the VQ35 engine in the 350Z is a "truck engine"

I agree, wait maybe if it has v-tec its a car engine :) when I was at GG some dude came up to me and the rest of the crew, he starts by asking, "who rigs?" I said "the truck is mine." He starts going into this speach on EFI remaping, and how all the datsun guys love remaped ecu's. I tell him I have plans for Megasquirt. Then he starts saying how stupid I am........ to make a long story short I ask him if he runs a turbo ka or an sr. He's even more mad by now he replys sr's are the shitiest engine ever, the only reason they are popular is because of the aftermarket support. The point of my little story is everyone has some reason to put down someone elses engine choice. My opion is as long as it bolts to a rear wheel drive transmission I'm happy :D I smoked a honda bad the day before yesterday with my truck engine in a truck :) maybe it has to be in a truck to have perform correctly.

yeah its funny how people think whatever they do is better.. back in hawaii everyone litterly gives away their ka's so they can do a sr swap.. my buddy stacy and his dad love the ka motor, stacy has a turbo ka in his 240 and it screams, and his dad has a high compression nasty little n/a ka in his 240... i personally think stacys car pulls a little harder then some of the sr's at low rpm because of the torque and his power curve is nice and smooth.. so to each his own...

You should turn you pulsar into a truck kevin :) you would have to do a motor swap to but you could use the ka out of a sentra van its a front wheel drive truck engine :)

I think people like to insult an engine that won't rev as high as they'd like it to and call it a "truck motor".

I've heard the same with the VG because it was used in the Hardbody as well. oh, and even the VQ35 engine in the 350Z is a "truck engine"

The KA 'evolved' out of th NAPS Z24 engine which was a high torque motor and only used in 720 trucks. Maybe they think it's the same thing.

Quite a few folks tell me that my FJ is a dinosaur. Yet they take an engine out of a 1984 300zx and put it into a 510 and its the best ever. My FJ most likely came out of a 1983-84 silvia, and its an outdated dinosaur. HAHA!!!

No offence to the vg, It too is a good engine.

Make today an excellent day!

I think Icehouse has a good point about people who dont like certain engines and I dont prefer "the swap" myself because the KA is a larger engine so in the end it will make more power. I wont sit there and tell someone their engine is a piece of S though. Nor will I call them a moron for not choosing a factory tuned ecu, I mean its obvious everyone likes shooting in the dark! lol.

If its nissan honda mitsu whatever I will keep my opinion until they ask for it, lol. peace.