First 'Datsun'

Diesel33g

mine did similar i started it once and then it wouldnt fire up after,

mine turned out to be a bad ballast resistor it is mounted right beside the coil, if it get real hot with the key on, it is probably bad

if that ain't it start checking the basics like fuel, and spark, etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine did similar i started it once and then it wouldnt fire up after,

mine turned out to be a bad ballast resistor it is mounted right beside the coil, if it get real hot with the key on, it is probably bad

if that ain't it start checking the basics like fuel, and spark, etc.

I'll check the resistor out too thanks. It sparks fine, so I'm assuming it's a fuel issue since the carb doesn't smell like fuel at all when I try to start it.

If it runs on the starting fluid that means its capable of combustion all you are missing is fuel. Check that throttle linkage and make sure the fuel pump is pumping. You could have issues withe the needle for the float being stuck. Its probably something minor check the fuel pump first.

Unrelated to my fuel and oil issues. I finally borrowed a multimeter and found that most of the wires for the tail lights (They all were cut in half from the previous ricer owner) don't have a current! yay! So I'm gonna end up having to rip all the wiring out and re run a lot of it.

looks like the fun never ends.

I'm used to it, haha. I'm used to the VG30DE from all my Z32s.

My oil look like it drained from the oil filter so that's a relief. I'm gonna look into that today

And I'm still looking for my fuel line issues and came across this:

dwe13t.jpg

Now once again I've never owned a carborated car before so I'm not 100% sure this is an issue. But this is its "Fully open" mode, so maybe the timing is off?

And my apartment complex gave me a friendly notice saying "Move your car asap or we're towing it off the property at your expense" So I had to push it to the other side of the complex haha.

Not sure what you mean fully open. That choke is full closed cold. It should be if the motor is closed. What happened when you took the fuel line off the pump did it pump fuel? If not your float needle is stuck closed sometimes a little tapping can get it to move.

Don't worry about the needle. If it didn't through fuel either the fuel filter is clogged or it needs a fuel pump. You can get a fuel filter pretty cheap and probably should replace it anyway. Take the fuel line off again and recheck it, if it still doesn't pump your fuel pump is bad replace that and you should have a motor that starts.

My brain must not be functioning properly, because when the oil drained out I saw 2 holes in my oil filter and just assumed a hose was disconnected.

1z4xw7c.jpg

Now.... I know for a fact, after doing hundreds of oil changes that filters aren't supposed to have holes in them.

I guess he just rammed a screwdriver through it for more leverage.

Have you tried taking the top off your fuel pump and seeing how it looks inside? I thought mine was bad and all I had to do was pull off the top and reset/re-align the rubber piece that

flaps like a son of a bitch and pumps the fuel. Maybe I was just lucky though..

Have you tried taking the top off your fuel pump and seeing how it looks inside? I thought mine was bad and all I had to do was pull off the top and reset/re-align the rubber piece that

flaps like a son of a bitch and pumps the fuel. Maybe I was just lucky though..

that could work.

It's probably easier to just use the right one. Finding a pump with the right flow and wiring it correctly is probably more trouble than it's worth. A new pump isn't all that expensive. You might even find it at the parts store.

scrm2u.jpg

Took it out for a spin today.

Oil sprayed everywhere, engine got really hot after less than a minute drive. Noticed a slight rod knock.

Now I know why it was $500 angry.gif

Gotta wait till the end of the month and then hope I can find a way to fix/replace my engine.

Narrowed the oil spray down to the valve cover gasket. so theres a bonus.

The new plan is replace the fuel pump and valve gasket. Then drive and constantly make sure theres oil in there so I don't blow a rod until I get new rods/bearings!