First 'Datsun'

Diesel33g

1976 620. Got it for $500 a few days ago. :)

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

2011-03-02_17-40-37_927.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

It's got about 90% of the wires cut so only my front turn signals, and gauge lights work at the moment. Car didn't run when I bought it, but it runs after putting oil and gas in it :P

I'm no electrician so it's gonna be a tough job getting it all back together!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe' date='03 March 2011 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1299198722' post='437612']

Welcome, nice truck. Best bet with the wiring is to grab a good harness from the pull a part. They are fairly simple. There are pdf wiring diagrams on http://www.olddatsuns.com/ :)

Thanks man! I already printed off the pdf diagram and have been trying to follow where these things go. Once upon a time the truck had an alarm and a sound system so all those wires are connected to random things as well. And I'll definitely take your idea for the good harness. That'll be a lot easier.

Haha, I pulled off the shift knob, I'm 6'6 so as those of you with a 620 already know it's small to begin with. so I barely fit in there. and once it's not cold and rainy I'm gonna go tear into the wiring and get all the lights working (even the rally lights!)

Haha, thanks for the welcomes guys. I keep slacking on getting it running, so no real updates yet.

Here's what's left of my dash :)

2011-03-02_17-39-45_858.jpg

2011-03-02_17-39-42_58.jpg

Did I mention that it only has 89,000 miles? and 15,775 of them were towed behind an RV in the late 80s (I have a mileage log from the original owner)

2011-03-02_17-39-51_287.jpg

2011-03-02_17-39-19_453.jpg

It'll be a good DD project car xD

That wiring does not look like fun, good luck with it.

Is that masking tape labeling the spark plug wires??

Eric

Haha yes that is masking tape, it was nice though since they were unplugged.

And I'm gonna start reconnecting wires today since its a nice sunny day down here. Hopefully I'll have it wired up tonight.

Think I remember seeing this for sale on CL. Guy was selling it for his son who was away somewhere. Anyway looks like a good place to start. BTW if you don't plan to reuse the tiki I am interested. Building a rat

Haha, yeah that was the one. His son showed up during the sale, seemed kinda pissed that it was posted at $1600 and I paid $500 for it.

Update: I've been kinda slow with the work on the car, I've been busy looking for work and trying to make money where I can.

Aside from the 1 time it started for a few seconds I have been unable to start it since. It still turns over and sounds like it wants to start so I'll have to figure that out. Any ideas?

Is there a line running from the fuel pump to the carb? Mine runs right on top of everything around the head on top of those steel vacuum lines I don't see one on yours. Could be routed differently but thought I'd mention it.

@Justin, That was actually the first thing I checked. that's all fine from what I can tell so far.

@Rob, I'll go check that, haha. It's the first carborated car I've ever worked on so I'm still learning that kinda stuff.

If the fuel line isn't hooked up it will be shooting gas somewhere I can see my fuel pump working from the cab with the hood open. If it is hooked up disconnect it at the pump (the round thing on front of your motor upper passenger side) and make sure its spitting gas if it is make sure the fuel line isn't pinched somewhere. Check it all the way to the carb inlet. Will it run briefly on starting fluid/carb cleaner? If so its a fuel issue if not its spark or compression easy troubleshoot. biggrin.gif

I'll have to look into that tonight. My apartment complex doesn't allow non running cars or doesn't like when you work on your car in the parking lot so I'll have to wait until night time, or when I can find a place to take it and work on it.

Update on Tsunami day:

I've been mainly working on getting wires re-connected to get the lights going (Still no luck yet :P) But after checking the fuel lines and finding out they are all connected and not pinched It still wouldn't start. I decided to get some starter fluid and spray it into the carb, Bam she starts like a dream (and sounds like a devil without exhaust on it) and then shortly after it stops running. So I go look at the carb, and the trottle thing barely opens so that might be SOME issue. and then I look underneath the engine bay (never a good idea right?) and heres what I see

24q7hvb.jpg

OOPS, apartment complex isn't going to like that very much. So tomorrow I'm gonna go locate the souce of the oil waterfall.