Interchangeable Parts

Joel

710 ball joints- same across the board?

710 top hats or camber plates- same as 510?

Yes and yes. Although some 710 top hats are slightly offset for more camber.

Idea- 240z crossmember+240z R&p+510 control arms+240zknuckles+240ball joints+280z struts plus+510 camber plates +240 tie rods +510 swaybar= will it work without interference of the TC rods and tie rods??

510 control arms will not bolt onto a 240Z crossmember. And the 240Z is set up to have rear facing TC rods. If you face them forward, they hit the rack and pinion/tie rods. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or keeping the steering box and 510 crossmember and using the associated 510 pitman arms and knuckles with all the other 280 goodies?

Ideally you just want to use all 710 stuff with 280ZX struts. This makes a comfortable and nice handling car, with the added bonus of better/bigger brakes. 

• Like 1

This is an excerpt from a write up I was reading that gave me the idea. Apparently this guy was able to make it work in a 510, which is why I was under the impression some of this may work.

Site http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/510/rack-n-pinion/510_rack_conversion.htm

The suspension design between a 240Z (which has rack & pinion) and 510 is similar, but with some key detail differences. I decided to look into the possibility of putting the 240Z rack into the 510. Here's what I came up with:

Differences: Spindle angle (angle between spindle and strut) are different (figure 1). 510 has forward running T/C rods (figure 2) the 240Z has rearward T/C rods. The 510 has a 50" track, the 240Z has 53" track, the 240Z has 10mm shorter steering knuckles and different bolt spacing.

Similarities: The crossmember is basically identical, as are the lower control arms. The 240Z crossmember and lower control arm assembly will bolt on the 510 with no modifications.

The two biggest issues here are T/C rods and the spindle angle.

I have 510 camber plates and adjustable T/C rods on my 710, with 280zx struts ... The stock 510 control arms look "similar" to 710's, but they might be a few mm shorter and the ball joints are probably different.  The 510 front cross-member is definitely different from a 710 .. the motor mounts are in a different place and the X-member is bigger.  The 710 steering box is way different from a 510, so any 510 steering box brace won't work on a 710.

This is an excerpt from a write up I was reading that gave me the idea. Apparently this guy was able to make it work in a 510, which is why I was under the impression some of this may work.

Site http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/510/rack-n-pinion/510_rack_conversion.htm

Dave (guy whose car and website that is) is a good friend of mine, and a super good dude, but a lot of his work was done by a local fabricator and a lot of those parts may or may not be still in their stock form. His car started as basically swapping in the complete 240Z front suspension, then morphed several times from there. And again it's a 510, so it may not translate very well to a 710. 

If you mean the spindle angle to the strut tube they are all the same 510/610/710/A10/ S10/s110/S12/280zx at 10 degrees.

The 510 spindle is smaller than the rest but may also match the 240z and takes a smaller inner and outer bearing (26/17.5mm) vs. (31.75/19mm for the rest) so another advantage to swapping to a set of zx struts.

The 710 and 610 front cross members are the same.

The 710 top hat has an off set bolt pattern. Many 510 owners swap them on to gain a little  + - camber.

74strutswapjune13015Large.jpg

• 1 month later...

The spindle angle of the... 240Z is poor, designed for old 1950s road designs.

Looking at it, it really looks like bad roads didn't figure into it. It looks like they wanted a fairly long strut but had to make it work in a car with a very low hood. 

But I suppose looks can be deceiving...  ^_^

Of course, longer struts soak up bumpy roads better, so who knows...   :rofl: