painted L seiries valve cover.

sdsurf

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20080106image0012wf3.jpg

i cleaned it, put vaseline on the "datsun ohc" and shook the can really good and applied paint. i let it dry over night, then rubbed off the vaseline...shiney raw aluminum lettering! then i took the cover on and off until i knocked a bunch of the paint off of it..it needs a touch up

i used vht wheel paint, aluminum color, then duplicolor annodized look for the cap and lettering. this one requires extra time. i find the wheel paint holds up the best, and it shines when you clean it for shows, oil and grime wipe right off and its durable and doesnt mind heat.

IMG_0069.jpg

this one is straight up wheel paint.

IMG_0037.jpg

yeah man, vaseline works wonders when you are doing a project like this. take their advice above though and use a metal etching primer and let it dry pretty good between coats. i did my cover back in my "infant" painting days and you can see how bad the paint has flaked off. after doing my dirt bike frame, i recommend 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of color. make sure you let it cure well between coats or it will just pop off when you tighten bolts on it. i know it sounds like a lot of paint...but my bike frame still looks sweet. also, i applied the vaseline with a q-tip