Congrats to datzenmike

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha this all started over a year ago when I read an article in the DQ about transmission swaps into the 510 and found a few 'errors' and thought that it should be corrected. I sent Julian (okayfine) a letter explaining how wrong some of these 'facts' were and how a great publication such as DQ could /should do better. Not at all put out by my 'complaint' Julian basically said do think you can do better? and I said ..... well, yes I think so... and he said well, rather than correcting it, just do a write up on trannys that might normally be considered for swapping into a 510 with stock or otherwise motors. Include strengths or weaknesses, where to look to find them and what to look for to ID them.

I figured I would include everything and he could cut it down.... and so began an ever growing task of checking and rechecking, writing and re-writing and several months later (and about 24 hours spent) I was burned out and no closer to done. After a few months I went back and finished and submitted it. Naturally new things are learned and I think twice I sent in corrections which were added but at some point you have to say it's done and go with it. The copy I got looked like just the way I wrote it with no changes I could see. Well it was an interesting experience and now I can look forward to someone pointing out my mistakes. lol

Awesome mike!! There's nothing like the information exchange. More of this type of thing should be done. 100 years from now when nobody knows how to work on our cars, stuff like this will be some great reference and not information/knowledge that has been lost like in previous decades. It already is a great reference. :cool:

I went to the puyallop fair early bird auto swap/antique show and got to over hear a lot of old dudes spouting off the inner knowledge they had and I always wonder how many mechanical secrets they will take to there grave to be lost forever.