What should I swap into my bagged 620?

DatsunDragger

I'm not crazy about the hp aspect, I just want a reliable motor, good on gas. Something I wouldn't be afraid to road trid with. I know that this has probaly been answered a million times in another thread but I figured I'd try it out it out there. Something low budget that wouldn't be too much headache. (yeah right) I know that if anyone has any good ideas, it would have to be the people on Ratsun.

l_ac128caff8ccd3eeb689c52c3bf4a9dc.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the L motor, in most every case of a breakdown its an accessory (alternator, battery), the ignition, or the carb.

You could do a good refresh on your L series. New timing chain kit, alt, battery, electronic ignition (spare module in the truck), and a brand new Weber downdraft carb.

Or, a non-turbo fuel injected 4-cyl. CA18DE or KA24DE are good choices on an engine swap.

If you aren't trying to make it a hot rod. A quality rebuild and quality parts on the normal wear items will leave you with a very reliable truck. Something a lot of guys forget when they get into "upgrade-itis" mode is... Highly skilled(qualified) engineers at Nissan designed these trucks, cars, engines, etc. Most guys driving them aren't really able to make it "better". I've been daily driving a 620 for the past two years. I've never had a single failure or breakdown. I also haven't rebuilt the engine or anything either. They were designed well.

On the quality tip.. Quality parts for these old Dattos aren't necessarily cheap or the first thing you will find. Fuel pumps are a great example. The ones from the parts stores are shit and fail quickly. I put a used Nikki (stock) pump on my last 620 when the cheapo Schucks fuel pump took a shit. The used one is still on the truck working good. sidenote: there was a place selling the Nikki fuel pumps on ebay. I got one for about $20 shipped.

Alternators are another good example of quality. If you buy a "lifetime warranty" alternator from discount auto parts place, it is a very low quality rebuild. Much better off having it rebuilt at a local alternator shop.

My .02

I would build a good L20 or Z22. I have a built Z22 in mine with a peanut head dual roadster SU's, electronic ignition, and I have NEVER had a problem with it. I could chirp 5th. when it was in my 510. Now my 521 has the Z22 and my 510 has a KA. Build it good the first time and have someone TUNE it right. SU's are hated cause there hard to tune, but when they are tuned right are much better. You will be happy. I get better milage out of my Z22 then my KA swap and the KA swap is fresh wheras my Z22 has at least 50K on it. Not to mention its a Nitrous motor...LOL