whats this ?

phatdave

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really curious about this. I have the same thing on my '68 520. It is a vacuum switch that runs of the intake mani, but I don't know what it is or switches. I am not familiar with "retard points". What are they? How do I know if I have them or not, and what are they good for? Or bad for?

Retard points are dual point dizzy. 2 sets of points inside your distibutor instead of one. Supposed to be for emissions reasons or whatever thus, retarded ;)

The two sets are about 4 degrees different. The first set closes and the coil begins to charge up. 4 degrees later the other set closed but because the first set are closed nothing happens. In time the first set opens but there is no spark because the second set are still closed for another 4 degrees. By using a simple switch you can run regular timing on the first set and add or remove 4 degrees of retard as needed to reduce emissions. It shouldn't be working and you should have full normal advance when.....

The motor is cold, under full throttle, 3rd or 4th gear maybe a few others. Every year there were changes and things added so yes this is a complex retarded system. Just disconnect the retard set and run the proper advance all the time for best performance.

Well then Wayno, what is that thing. It is obviously a vacuum switch for something. Any ideas? I can't find it on any of the parts schematics. I thought PhatDaves original picture looked like the plate behind it said "67 HP", so I am guessing what ever it is came with the J engines.

Well then Wayno, what is that thing. It is obviously a vacuum switch for something. Any ideas? I can't find it on any of the parts schematics. I thought PhatDaves original picture looked like the plate behind it said "67 HP", so I am guessing what ever it is came with the J engines.

Correct, 1969 521,J13

As I said, I could be wrong, it is really easy to figure out if you have dual points, take the dist. cap off and look, is there more than one set of points. There wasn't a lot of emissions stuff back then, but maybe japan was thinking ahead, fact is, I have never seen dual points in a E, J, or L block, but I have not been looking either, if there were a set in my truck, I would trash them and put electronic ignition in it, I don't run points in anything I drive more than once a month. wayno

• 1 month later...

Did this ever get solved? I have one too, same model year and engine. Want to delete as much as possible from the engine bay =)

Not that I know of. I still have yet to find it in any parts book. I guess you could disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.