Piston rings not sealing?

MicroMachinery

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Update: After driving the pickup off and on throughout the summer, I took the compression readings today. The readings were as follows:

1:103

2:176

3:178

4:184

Looks like the #4 came back up, but #1 is still very low. I took it out on a drive and got her good and hot, then came home and pulled #1 plug. I stuck a funnel in the spark plug hole and filled it with Sea Foam. As was suggested before, I'm beginning to think it's an issue with one of the rings sticking in the ring groove... perhaps some carbon is holding it in place. If this doesn't work, out comes the engine...

Sounds to me like the rings didn't seat. Especially with 4 coming back up. There is a compound you can get from engine builders that you drift into the intake (like pouring dirt in the carburetor) that will make the rings seat. Talk to some of the old guys, can't remember what they used. It used to be common on older V8s that the rings wouldn't seal well initially.

Also, how did you break in the motor? Fast and hard is usually best. Accelerate as hard as you can to 70, let the engine compression brake down semi-slowly, just let off the throttle, and when you get down to about 20, do it again. Do that about 5 - 10 times, seats the rings right quick. I did that on the hardbody motor, no issues. 10k on the clock now.

Sounds to me like the rings didn't seat. Especially with 4 coming back up. There is a compound you can get from engine builders that you drift into the intake (like pouring dirt in the carburetor) that will make the rings seat. Talk to some of the old guys, can't remember what they used. It used to be common on older V8s that the rings wouldn't seal well initially.

Also, how did you break in the motor? Fast and hard is usually best. Accelerate as hard as you can to 70, let the engine compression brake down semi-slowly, just let off the throttle, and when you get down to about 20, do it again. Do that about 5 - 10 times, seats the rings right quick. I did that on the hardbody motor, no issues. 10k on the clock now.

I'll have to look up that stuff if the rings don't continue to seat up like they are.

I broke in the motor hard. I didn't abuse it, but I ran it up to a point where it made me a little uncomfortable and a bit nervous(I'd never done it this way before). There's a road behind my shop that goes 5 miles up into the foot-hills, and I took it up and down that I think 4 times(5 miles in each direction). Except when turning around, I didn't dip below 3k. I pretty much shifted between 2nd and 3rd, the whole time, up and down. Going down the hill, I would get up to speed then let the engine brake around corners. On the way up the hill, it was all GO with the occasional engine brake to let the oil clean off the cylinder walls.

Today I changed the oil again, and this time I went with DELO400 15w-40. High detergent oil designed for diesels. I drove it around to run some errands, got her good and hot, then came home and checked the compression:

125/175/177/174

#1 is still low, but it looks like #4 is right where the other two are now. If #1 keeps coming up, I'll be one happy camper.

I'll have to look up that stuff if the rings don't continue to seat up like they are.

I broke in the motor hard. I didn't abuse it, but I ran it up to a point where it made me a little uncomfortable and a bit nervous(I'd never done it this way before). There's a road behind my shop that goes 5 miles up into the foot-hills, and I took it up and down that I think 4 times(5 miles in each direction). Except when turning around, I didn't dip below 3k. I pretty much shifted between 2nd and 3rd, the whole time, up and down. Going down the hill, I would get up to speed then let the engine brake around corners. On the way up the hill, it was all GO with the occasional engine brake to let the oil clean off the cylinder walls.

Today I changed the oil again, and this time I went with DELO400 15w-40. High detergent oil designed for diesels. I drove it around to run some errands, got her good and hot, then came home and checked the compression:

125/175/177/174

#1 is still low, but it looks like #4 is right where the other two are now. If #1 keeps coming up, I'll be one happy camper.

tumblr_lsvr8rT0Ot1qhq1pjo1_500.jpg

Congrats!! I knew at some point it would get to a point that the numbers would rise cool.gif My 210 blew all kinds of smoke after I did headgasket the first time. Compression was around 50PSI. Eventually, all settled about 130 after driving. Some take longer then others.

I think you should be fine thumbup1.gif

Diesel oil is high(er) with ZDDP content which is good for flat tappet cams like the L series. Keep in mind that high detergent oil also removes carbon from your piston and rings. That's good to a point but the carbon helps seal in compression too. On a new motor probably nothing will happen. On an older motor the cleaning of the piston and rings can cause a compression loss.

Took the 720 up to Portland today to drop off some parts. Got to my brother's house and borrowed his compression gauge just for grins and giggles...

195/205/204/212

AwYea.jpg

awwwwwwwwww yeah :cool: !!! Thought I was looking at tire sizes for a split sec :lol:

These were US Brand Rings Yes ? :)

They were Beck/Arnley brand, but made in the USA. After this experience, however, I think I'll just go straight to Nissan.

Thanks for the Info ! ,,, hmmmmmm ,,, I would have done the same ,,,

I actually used "Grant" Made in USA brand (I was probably being a penny pincher then ? can't remember) ,,, piston rings ,,, in my recent L24 Rebuild for my Z-car (not ran yet , sitting on stand waiting to put in if need be) ,,, But I have been running the L28/5spd I got from you since in my Z-car ,,, so I am wondering if I wen't down a bad path since yours was professionally honed/put together carefully/correctly and still had slight issues with sealing ,,, hmmmmm ,,, either way thanks for the heads up , and glad it worked out ! :)

Are you planning to stick with the Delco 15w-40 ?

Are you planning to stick with the Delco 15w-40 ?

I like it so far, we'll just have to see. It is a little bit more expensive, but the higher ZDDP content(as Mike mentioned) is better for our engines than just the regular, off the shelf stuff.

Kinda like my friend Beck/Arnley clutch slave was actually a Nabco...

And yes, I am aware that they are a parts distributor. These rings came in a Beck/Arnley package, with no other identification. Probably made my Hastings or someone like that.