Bogging/rough idle

620doof

Hey everyone, ANOTHER question (sorry) But where the hell is the voltage regulator on this bad boy? (79 l20b) I thought it would be under the black box on the left side of the engine bay but it doesn't appear to be. I have high charging voltage and don't want my battery to explode!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, just got the carb put back on. I was trying to fix a problem where it chugs when it's cold. Now it's idling really high for one.. and after I got stuck in the snow for a sec and revved it up trying to get unstuck, it now started dying randomly. Fuel pump maybe?? It will only start if I give it gas and will die unless I keep giving it gas.

Yeah it just came on randomly. The battery is nice and charged but I fear that running it like that for awhile will eventually boil it over. Though I cant really drive the truck with the fuel issue at the moment. I really want to just get a webber and fix all this.

Also just noticed that my distributor was all the way advanced. If I put it back to normal the truck bogs down and wants to die. This is really weird because randomly the truck will run/idle great and other times it will bog down and try to die unless I pump gas.

Bad distributor maybe? Or part of the distrib. like the vac advance or the pick up maybe? Anyone have similar problems? I love this truck and want to get it on the road!

edit: about the alternator, the tester did a load off and load on test with headlights and heater on and gave the high charging voltage.

• 1 month later...

My Datsun 620, which has always been a great runner, is doing exactly what you're describing. Did you find out what the problem was with it? I'd love to apply whatever fix is needed to mine and keep driving it for a long time to come. It won't idle, and stutters when changing throttle position, and I have to hold on the gas to keep it running when stopped. If anyone else has fixed this malaise, let us in on the secret!

My Datsun 620, which has always been a great runner, is doing exactly what you're describing. Did you find out what the problem was with it? I'd love to apply whatever fix is needed to mine and keep driving it for a long time to come. It won't idle, and stutters when changing throttle position, and I have to hold on the gas to keep it running when stopped. If anyone else has fixed this malaise, let us in on the secret!

My truck runs fine now.. I think my problem was bad connection with my electric choke and/or improperly adjusted choke. Things I replaced where: Distributer pick up coil, vacuum advance, ignition coil, and a full tune up with a carb rebuild. These carbs are really easy to rebuild you can do it in a day no problem, just take pictures of the throttle linkage as its a bit complicated to get that all right.

My truck runs fine now.. I think my problem was bad connection with my electric choke and/or improperly adjusted choke. Things I replaced where: Distributer pick up coil, vacuum advance, ignition coil, and a full tune up with a carb rebuild. These carbs are really easy to rebuild you can do it in a day no problem, just take pictures of the throttle linkage as its a bit complicated to get that all right.

Yeah, I had my problem narrowed down towards the choke, too. I guess I'll look into getting a carb rebuild kit next. Thanks!