How do you guys get so low??

sparkle

So, chucked 3" blocks in the back of mine (plus the springs reset 2.5" lower.

Is sitting fairly level now, but still not low enough for me.

How do you guys get more low? I've got about an inch ish travel left in the front, and about the same in the rear! Are you able to go lower in balljoint fronts rather than the kingpin fronts for some reason? Farmer Joe, yours is c-notched right?

Recent pic for reference;

RustyRed_008.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol read the quote in my sig...

well to get some travel in the front you gonna have to ditch the bump stops... bye bye alltogther..

to answer your question, yeah my truck has a step notch..

so with the notch, it was able to re-leaf it in the back, and thats why its so low in the back.. the rear diff with my old shocks would poke through the hole i had to make in the bed.. the new air shocks dont let it go as low as it used to... but thats good.. the popo dont like em low...

with the front, its just been cranked down.. i took the torsions out and reindexed em so that the adjuster end of the torsion didnt drag on the ground... i dont have any bumpstops in the front.. lol they were the first thing to get chucked..

im bottoming out on the shocks in the front now,, but ive got about 1 1/4in of travel in the front when push it down.. i can bottom it out just with pushin with one hand.. lol it time to bag this thing.. i really just need to raise the upper shock mounts in the front to give the shock more travel.. then i can lower it just a touch more...

but in all honesty, its really now worth being this low on a static drop.. always havin the inside of your front tires burn off fast, beating the shit out of your back and kidneys... you must be younger than me... lol

but thats pretty much it... if you do this to your truck, wont you get in trouble by the engineers? or it that just AUS?

anyways.. just go for bags, or do coilovers, cuz torsions and a static drop does get old after a while...

and heres a pic of from before i put the new shocks on it..

IMG_20110208_134321.jpg

if you want to get low with a 620 you have to notch the frame....

my axel rides in my notch and this is how low i sit...

SDC10137.JPG

before i wasnt even close to this low and my axel was hittin my frame like crazy....

this is me before the bed on.... mono leaf with 3 inch blocks.... you can see how close the axel is to frame if there wasnt a notch...

2010-08-10%2015.26.17.jpg

with bed on my axel rides in the notch....

lol read the quote in my sig...

well to get some travel in the front you gonna have to ditch the bump stops... bye bye alltogther..

to answer your question, yeah my truck has a step notch..

so with the notch, it was able to re-leaf it in the back, and thats why its so low in the back.. the rear diff with my old shocks would poke through the hole i had to make in the bed.. the new air shocks dont let it go as low as it used to... but thats good.. the popo dont like em low...

with the front, its just been cranked down.. i took the torsions out and reindexed em so that the adjuster end of the torsion didnt drag on the ground... i dont have any bumpstops in the front.. lol they were the first thing to get chucked..

im bottoming out on the shocks in the front now,, but ive got about 1 1/4in of travel in the front when push it down.. i can bottom it out just with pushin with one hand.. lol it time to bag this thing.. i really just need to raise the upper shock mounts in the front to give the shock more travel.. then i can lower it just a touch more...

but in all honesty, its really now worth being this low on a static drop.. always havin the inside of your front tires burn off fast, beating the shit out of your back and kidneys... you must be younger than me... lol

but thats pretty much it... if you do this to your truck, wont you get in trouble by the engineers? or it that just AUS?

anyways.. just go for bags, or do coilovers, cuz torsions and a static drop does get old after a while...

and heres a pic of from before i put the new shocks on it..

Thanks man.

My front bumps are around 6mm big. Made for low applications, so really won't make much of a diff with them in or out since they are so small.

You sound like you have similar travel in the front to me though? I wonder if everything is different with a kingpin front end? You have a balljoint front?

I've got about 30mm'ish/1" travel for the bumpstop in front.

The other option is for me to run a smaller profile tyre, as I'm running 185/80R14s! But this won't help with guard gap.

As for engineers, yeah that must be australia you're thinking of. In New Zealand we have a 6 monthly check-up with a certified "warrant of fitness" inspector. Some of the rules include for suspension include no structural parts lower than 100mm/4" (unless certified - which is stringent and costs), and blocks can't be any bigger than 2". Whoops. :D

Someone else asked about how many leaves, have still got 3, to take another out seems a little dodgy to me. I have 3" blocks in there now though, and the pack has been reset/re-tempered 2.5" lower as well. So 5.5" in the back.

What I might do is take some photos tomorrow with the amount of travel I've got, to show what I mean.

Sparkle