Dual SU Carbs

Eric Garside

I have been looking at different carb setups and havent found too much info but I found these for sale on ebay and was wondering if you guys thought they would be a good replacement for my weber. I currently have an L18 with U67 head (both stock). I am in the process of building a LZ22 with A87 head with .490/290 cam. I want to find a carb setup that would work with both, can anyone identify these and maybe tell me if they will work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190505460562&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent setup, for a decent price (for now) Alot of people don't really like SU's. The performance boost Vs. a Weber is not going to be much unless you are the SU tunning master! I love my SU's but Weber's perform nicely and are brainless to tune/fix. Stick with the Weber and get bigger jets for your new motor, unless you want a project :)

I have been looking at different carb setups and havent found too much info but I found these for sale on ebay and was wondering if you guys thought they would be a good replacement for my weber. I currently have an L18 with U67 head (both stock). I am in the process of building a LZ22 with A87 head with .490/290 cam. I want to find a carb setup that would work with both, can anyone identify these and maybe tell me if they will work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190505460562&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks,

Eric

My LZ22 came with 46MM carbs from a Z car adapted to the 4cyl manifold. I am guessing these carbs are smaller than 46mm, which I am sure is great for an L18, but wonder if you'll want something bigger when you get in the LZ?

I am not an expert and didn't build my engine, my carbs were built by Z therapy, so I am hoping they will be fine for a while. These Ebay carbs may be fine, but may be worn out. And I'd do a little homework for the LZ application to see if you'd need more.

(Though if nothing else, this manifold should be fine w/ the LZ. And the price is good even if it was only the manifold!)

On an LZ22, the SU's will perform exponentially better. I just removed the 32/36 from my LZ, and it was nothing but disappointment for me. The 1 and 4 cylinders would run lean, it wouldn't make any power unless both barrels were opened up, which meant my foot had to be on the floor for it to get out of it's own way.

Since putting the 38mm SU's on, I've picked up ALOT more bottom end; when I say go, it goes(I mean RIGHT NOW), and my fuel mileage has almost doubled. The 32/36 is a puny carb, and if you want it to be anywhere near driveable, you'd need to jet it differently. Go with the SU's. You won't be disappointed.

Scott, those look like they are four bolt carb on a two bolt manifold. I think they are the much larger Z car carb. The old saying is to never over carb a motor and while the much larger SU can be tuned to work on the smaller L16/18 they aren't as adjustable over such a small range of flow.

Scott, those look like they are four bolt carb on a two bolt manifold. I think they are the much larger Z car carb. The old saying is to never over carb a motor and while the much larger SU can be tuned to work on the smaller L16/18 they aren't as adjustable over such a small range of flow.

Thanks for straightening that out mike! You are saying the ones on ebay look like 4-bolt Z carbs right? I couldn't tell. If so, based on what you are saying, they will be groovy on the LZ, but not recommended for the L?

I think the Roadster 2000 had the square mount SUs, it may be those. I was reading that there is less needle travel for a given throttle position on a smaller motor so it's more difficult to trim, file or sand the needle down to correct the mixture.

Also the manifold (38mm) is smaller than the carb (46mm) , well if they are 46mm. This is like running a 4 barrel on a two barrel manifold. I don't see any advantage to a larger carb.... if this turns out to be the case.

It's not listed but this would work on a 610 or 710